Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That one thing from your past that makes you CRINGE!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Last year I watched Dublin vs Tyrone. I stayed by myself as I had to get the bus to Belfast which was later as the rest of the lads got the bus to Strabane. So after they left I immediately go to the pub across the road from the bus stop in Dublin. Start drinking making friends. Get plastered, take an e, remember nothing after, wake up in one of those 24 hour joints getting shouted at by a Polish girl telling me to get out. Realised I've lost my phone and debit card. No way home. Went to the police station to see if they heard of any bags going missing (which had my phone and debit card and more in it), he simply told me to check with another police station. Refused to let me make a call to get a lift after I explained what had happened. Had to go around shops in Dublin city centre asking to use their phone. Took many attempts but finally got through after a woman in the chemist reluctantly agreed and my dad picked up and agreed to give me a lift.

I used to hate living here in Belfast but I know I would've been looked after far better if I was a tourist and got stranded there than in Dublin. The PSNI would be A LOT more helpful not to mention the locals. Was a lesson and I had to buy a brand new phone and get a new drivers licence and get a new debit card etc and was all my doing. But it really showed me the true character of the dubs. When I explained my situation up here they simply say "aye they hate us". That's my cringiest story by far tbh.

Let me get this right , you went on the piss on your own , took an E , loss your phone , debit card and other belongings and then expected to be babysat/mollycoddled by strangers because you're a halfwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Turnipman wrote: »
    That would be the true character of the Northside Dubs.

Had you been in the Southside wearing a Tyrone jersey (which, on the Southside would have been regarded as an Ulster rugby jersey) you'd merely have been shunned like a pariah; plus, of course, your wallet and phone wouldn't have been robbed.

I am a huge GAA fan but I am not a big fan of O'Neills style and haven't bought a jersey for any sport since I was a kid. I was dressed in neutral attire.

Let me get this right , you went on the piss on your own , took an E , loss your phone , debit card and other belongings and then expected to be babysat/mollycoddled by strangers because you're a halfwit.

No, I expect the police to look into things and not just toss you to the side. I have given my phone to absolute strangers on the street to use for a phone call that weren't in a hurry.

In that post I admitted it was my wrongdoing thus my cringiest moment. Still it showed me the difference between how nice people are in Belfast than Dublin. All I'm saying. You Dubs are really touchy feely about anything that's said bad about you.

No, I expect the police to look into things and not just toss you to the side. I have given my phone to absolute strangers on the street to use for a phone call that weren't in a hurry.

In that post I admitted it was my wrongdoing thus my cringiest moment. Still it showed me the difference between how nice people are in Belfast than Dublin. All I'm saying. You Dubs are really touchy feely about anything that's said bad about you.

When you're in the Dublin the next time , visit Easons, it almost parallel with Spire , up from the GPO.
    Buy some labels , the ones with the little strings .
    Put your name , address and a contact number of a next of kin and tie it on to a button on your coat or shirt.
    So in the event you have a repeat performance of your previous experience your won't have to interact with anyone , they can just look at your and help you that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I think we have a contender for your new cringe moment :D

What would they look into after you got yourself pissed and off your head on ecstasy?

When you're in the Dublin the next time , visit Easons, it almost parallel with Spire , up from the GPO.
    Buy some labels , the ones with the little strings .
    Put your name , address and a contact number of a next of kin and tie it on to a button on your coat or shirt.
    So in the event you have a repeat performance of your previous experience your won't have to interact with anyone , they can just look at your and help you that way.

My perception was that dubs were very friendly people. I then realised they were only friendly when I was giving them money for all these years. Belfast/Derry etc are probably more helpful to the needy who bring it upon themselves because of our recent history. Dublin's very beautiful and I would definitely recommend visiting there, no need to be so defensive.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I think we have a contender for your new cringe moment :D

What would they look into after you got yourself pissed and off your head on ecstasy?

The fact that my bag could've been handed in or the fact they could let me use their phone? The PSNI are far more useful, and that's coming from a Republican.

My perception was that dubs were very friendly people. I then realised they were only friendly when I was giving them money for all these years. Belfast/Derry etc are probably more helpful to the needy who bring it upon themselves because of our recent history. Dublin's very beautiful and I would definitely recommend visiting there, no need to be so defensive.

That's very charitable of you, giving money to the citizens of Dublin.
    I may have misjudged you.

Sooo , are you back down anytime soon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The fact that my bag could've been handed in or the fact they could let me use their phone? The PSNI are far more useful, and that's coming from a Republican.

I agree they could help with bag; not so much about using the phone due to your own fúck up.

• Advertisement

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I agree they could help with bag; not so much about using the phone due to your own fúck up.

Might be worth a GSOC complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

* opens a big bag of popcorn ........................................................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

I wet myself on the rag week bus as there was a huge queue for the bus toilet.  This was while going between the second and third venues.  Walked back to my seat with a 'my jeans are bone dry' confidence.  Don't think anyone noticed.  I'm bizarrely proud of getting away with it, but still the thoughts of getting caught as a 17 year old wetting himself in the first week of a 4 year course are too much to contemplate.

Undividual wrote: »
    I wet myself on the rag week bus as there was a huge queue for the bus toilet.  This was while going between the second and third venues.  Walked back to my seat with a 'my jeans are bone dry' confidence.  Don't think anyone noticed.  I'm bizarrely proud of getting away with it, but still the thoughts of getting caught as a 17 year old wetting himself in the first week of a 4 year course are too much to contemplate.
    Needless to say, I wasn't in the market for shifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

A yellow, baggy Ben Sherman shirt.

Might be worth a GSOC complaint.

I'm from a nationalist community in the north. We are stoic people. We don't complain like southerners of english stock. I took the responsibility upon myself and bought the brand new samsung phone etc, the time delay and no help from dubs was an inconvenience but a realisation. As was taking an e, I never had done drugs before then, and we think all thing up here Dublin is a druggy city. Stereotype kinda proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I'm from a nationalist community in the north. We are stoic people. We don't complain like southerners of english stock. I took the responsibility upon myself and bought the brand new samsung phone etc, the time delay and no help from dubs was an inconvenience but a realisation. As was taking an e, I never had done drugs before then, and we think all thing up here Dublin is a druggy city. Stereotype kinda proven.

Jesus man, stop digging will yaa !! :rolleyes:

Next you'll be bringing religion in it .................. oh.... too late

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

The Dubs are nice to Tyrone people mainly because we sympathise with ye about having to put up with having Mickey Harte as manager of your football team until 2025 - or maybe longer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

BPKS wrote: »
    A yellow, baggy Ben Sherman shirt.

Paco Jumpers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Paco Jumpers

Global Hypercolor Colour changing t-shirts - delightfully pointing out your sweat patches in a funky pastel colour

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Brian2208

This thread was going so well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

If it happened in Cork you'd have been driven home by someone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

That's a situation where you very publicly "accidentally" spill some drink on yourself.

Comedy gold in all its finery .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

From a thread in a similar vein about 4years ago.
    Still occasionally slag my No.1 M.I.L over it...
    Hard to believe it was 22years ago when I witnessed the horror!

banie01 wrote: »
    Walking my girlfriend(later wife) home and when she opened her front door she turned to kiss me goodnight and there behind her...
    In the kitchen doorway at the end of the hall was her Mam on her knees giving her Da a bit of a treat ;)
    Queue my closing my eyes and refusing a cuppa cos I suddenly remembered I had homework to finish!!!
    I've never wanted to unsee anything more in my life!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I've never done anything cringe-worthy.....(none that I would admit to, anyway), but a female medical student of my acquaintance arrived into her first Anatomy class. The body she had been assigned to was that of a male. My buddy delicately prodded the deceased's willie with a pen, and announced to the class that he had a deformity... there was no bone in his member. At the age of 20, the only willies she had ever had contact with all had 'bones' in them. She is now a highly respected surgeon.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

happyday wrote: »
    If it happened in Cork you'd have been driven home by someone!

True rebel county. Of course they would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I should have got off my arse and moved on with my life at an earlier age instead of dragging things on... Makes me cringe what I probably missed out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Really....you expect the gardai to go around and try and trace the movements of a drunken/stoned idiot to find where they lost/dropped their phone??? Because the PSNI would be so helpful in the same situation.

To be honest, you don't sound sensible enough to be let out on your own.

Grow up and quit blaming others for your own stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    I've never done anything cringe-worthy.....(none that I would admit to, anyway), but a female medical student of my acquaintance arrived into her first Anatomy class. The body she had been assigned to was that of a male. My buddy delicately prodded the deceased's willie with a pen, and announced to the class that he had a deformity... there was no bone in his member. At the age of 20, the only willies she had ever had contact with all had 'bones' in them. She is now a highly respected surgeon.

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think the fact you tried to shoehorn Strabane into your username is the cringiest thing here.
    It's like first year in College and you're collecting emails for a group project and some backwards lad from Kerry tells you his is "castleisland4eva@gmail.com".

• Advertisement

Really....you expect the gardai to go around and try and trace the movements of a drunken/stoned idiot to find where they lost/dropped their phone??? Because the PSNI would be so helpful in the same situation.

To be honest, you don't sound sensible enough to be let out on your own.

Grow up and quit blaming others for your own stupidity.

No it was a bag. Like I said in my original post:
    Went to the police station to see if they heard of any bags going missing (which had my phone and debit card and more in it).

Telling someone to visit another police station does nothing but waste more police time as you can't be arsed dealing with something yourself. I have friends in the PSNI, I know from others telling me how they deal with situations. Far more helpful. Sure all we see up here in the North in facebook is brutality from your police force in videos that go viral. But at least the RUC changed their name, yours didn't when they were doing the same thing to people up here. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

one word - "one piece shell suit"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Strabananimal - Do Not Post In This Thread Again

(We don't want your kind here hai) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

2004 - Leaving Cert graduation evening where the ones into music played a few songs. I thought feck it, I'll do something for that. Got one of the lads to play acoustic guitar and we practiced for ages a few days ahead of it. It was an acoustic Marilyn Manson song that I loved. I had the lyrics in front of me for the first few goes and then without, it sounded quite good start to finish.

The evening came around anyway, others did their bit and it was my turn. My nerves hit me like a train and I proceeded to shakingly sing the lyrics but my voice wouldn't let me do it properly. Stopped half way through after giving the guitarist the nod and got a half-hearted and sympathetic clap from the audience. I can't listen to or think about that song to this day without feeling the cringe :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No it was a bag. Like I said in my original post:

Telling someone to visit another police station does nothing but waste more police time as you can't be arsed dealing with something yourself. I have friends in the PSNI, I know from others telling me how they deal with situations. Far more helpful. Sure all we see up here in the North in facebook is brutality from your police force in videos that go viral. But at least the RUC changed their name, yours didn't when they were doing the same thing to people up here. :):)

Its completely irrelevant what you lost, the Gardaí are not there to help stoned idiots to find their property. They were obviously suggesting you visit what ever station was nearer to where you said you were in case someone handed it in there....but you were so stoned/drunk, you didn't get that.

And finally, if you expect me or anyone else to believe that you being a strabane person, sit around with your nationalist friends discussing how good and helpful the PSNI are then your obviously still stoned/drunk.

Go away and grow up.

Telling someone to visit another police station does nothing but waste more police time as you can't be arsed dealing with something yourself.

So you went to the wrong police station to report your loss and they helpfully directed you to the right one! They're a shower of bastards, right enough!

I recommend that you report them to the Garda Ombudsman. Or why not get your local Sinn Fein MP to help you! - s/he's not attending the Houses of Parliament so should have plenty of spare time on his/her hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

About 90% of my actions before about 2011.

Turnipman wrote: »
    So you went to the wrong police station to report your loss and they helpfully directed you to the right one! They're a shower of bastards, right enough!

I recommend that you report them to the Garda Ombudsman. Or why not get your local Sinn Fein MP to help you! - s/he's not attending the Houses of Parliament so should have plenty of spare time on his/her hands!

No I never even said that. Another fact wrong. The place I was in was later found out to be the right police station as my dad knows Dublin. Sheer laziness. So there's another assumption you've came to or lie you've made up in your head. Try again.
    Its completely irrelevant what you lost, the Gardare not there to help stoned idiots to find their property. They were obviously suggesting you visit what ever station was nearer to where you said you were in case someone handed it in there....but you were so stoned/drunk, you didn't get that.

And finally, if you expect me or anyone else to believe that you being a strabane person, sit around with your nationalist friends discussing how good and helpful the PSNI are then your obviously still stoned/drunk.

Go away and grow up.

They were the nearest station though.

Strabane people have no good opinions on your police force. I never mentioned sitting around telling them how good and helpful the police force are here. I talked about this incident in Belfast where I have lived the past 10 years.

More assumptions. Try again though.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Strabananimal - Do Not Post In This Thread Again

(We don't want your kind here hai) :P

Why so touchy feely people from Doooblin ITT? Shouldn't you be in the Tommy Robinson thread praising his release or the Man United supporters club thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Christ, what a head wreck.

No I never even said that. Another fact wrong. The place I was in was later found out to be the right police station as my dad knows Dublin. Sheer laziness. So there's another assumption you've came to or lie you've made up in your head. Try again.

Is it possible that you were so p1ssed and/or drugged when you staggered into (what your father subsequently assured you was) the correct garda station that they couldn't understand your incoherent babbling and helpfully re-directed you to the zoo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Lads can ye not take this to another thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Too many stories from when I first started trying to chat up women, they still make me say Fcuk It out loud or take a sharp intake of breath at random points when I remember them 15 years later, happens every day...

This poor cnut though, I often think of him, imagine having to go back and finish your course for another couple of years after this happening to you:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Many, many stories, but the first that springs to mind...

I was 13, myself and 2 mates were trying to get into an 18s movie. They both got away with it all the time as they looked older, i still looked my age so the plan was for me to hang behind them a bit and act nonchalant.

So we go up, the girls ask for the tickets, the man immediately looks at me and says "and how old are you all??" The other 2 girls immediately say "18" but me, in a panic, said, "I just turned 12". I had been 13 for AGES.

To make a bad situation worse, we ended up having to see Big Mommas House. They never let me live it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TomSweeney wrote: »
    :D great story, but let's be honest - it never happened !
    It did indeed. I can post a picture of my oily flute if you like?

Happened in the chemist that used to be next to Scholars' pub in Firhouse. Closed down a couple of years ago, and I haven't seen Nicole since.

If I was going to make one up, I'd have made a better one up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'm an Aston Villa supporter, which is embarrassing enough on it's own but I had a rather nasty experience on a football trip when I was living in England.

We drove to a game in Manchester on a bank holiday weekend on the saturday morning and we were staying there until the monday. I was due to fly home to dublin on the monday morning for a few days and the lads I was with were heading back to Birmingham.

After the match we went on a session that lasted almost two days. No sleep. about 6pm on saturday until about midday on monday. I was only 21 at the time but still dont know how I managed to survive so long. I went to the airport and thought it would be a good idea to continue drinking despite already having a bowel full of alcohol.

I had just opened a bottle of beer when they started boarding. Instead of leaving the beer behind like a normal person I put it into my pocket.

I was wearing light blue jeans. Of course the beer started to spill all over my jeans and It looked like I had wet myself.

In addition to this i was still drunk enough that I couldn't fasten the seat belt and I had managed to tie it up in knots. Upon seeing a drunk guy who looked like he had just pissed himself through and couldny fasten his own safety belt the cabin crew decided that it would be a prudent move to remove me from the flight.

The only thing that saved me from getting arrested was that I didnt react aggressively. To make matters worse i fell asleep in the airport and missed the last flight.

I had to get the ferry home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Pissed in corner of bedroom in mates house after a serious night out.

Woke up no clue where I was and just had to pee.

Woke up in the morning cringing.
    Think I got away with it as there was plenty of junk in corner that's prob still there and he invited me back a month later if I needed a room.

Scarlet

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Work canteen, right after paying for my lunch, just a few minutes ago:

Canteen man: Enjoy!
    Me: You too!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVE5lBBe254WFXnVcP-QFgN9sWX1xA7JIwFrNCqOZV8vLvfcGn

That's a situation where you very publicly "accidentally" spill some drink on yourself.
    I chose to ride the bull, victory or death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Looking back I have so many cringeworthy moments. It's horrifyiing.

I was ok at sports in school but I did have one nerdy hobby that I still have to this day. I'm a quizzer.

If you remember blackboard jungle, three of us made it on to the team.

The team before us made it to the last four.

We eventually made it to the studio and it went horrifically. We had a bad start and never recovered.

My most embarrassing school moment was recorded and broadcast on national TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement