Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Facebook Mafia

• 30-07-2018 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

What are people's views on the rise of the outraged / offended groups on social media that are so quick to try, convict and sentence people accused of something.

Examples recently

- a girl posting that she was in a city centre bar where she ordered a drink and she "saw clearly" the bar manager (who she named) nod at the bar man who then put a tablet in her glass. She posted this up, it seemed hundreds of people made up their mind on the words of a stranger, and the reviews on the bar's page were full of " don't go here, the staff are rapists " and the like. :eek:

- the treatment centre for Paedophiles in Sallynoggin. Immediately a group is set up, " Concerned Sallynoggin Community", it's hijacked by people I never heard of growing up and there were marches and the centre was forced to close. These are the same people who say "paedos should be killed, they never want to get better" -

- the " my child was threatened mob" again stating unproven facts, followed by " if that was my child I would literally murder the offender, I'd do time etc etc

- the "I found a perfect house but the council won't give me it" plea that gets shared by those who believe the government don't care, we live in a kip yet most of them live in social housing.

It seems to appeal to the lowest of society depsperately looking to feel as though they are part of some bull**** crusade.

And don't get me started on the hospital check ins where the "are you ok hun" replies are posted, liked and then ignored to add to the drama.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

What are people's views on the rise of the outraged / offended groups on social media that are so quick to try, convict and sentence people accused of something.

Examples recently

- a girl posting that she was in a city centre bar where she ordered a drink and she "saw clearly" the bar manager (who she named) nod at the bar man who then put a tablet in her glass. She posted this up, it seemed hundreds of people made up their mind on the words of a stranger, and the reviews on the bar's page were full of " don't go here, the staff are rapists " and the like. :eek:

- the treatment centre for Paedophiles in Sallynoggin. Immediately a group is set up, " Concerned Sallynoggin Community", it's hijacked by people I never heard of growing up and there were marches and the centre was forced to close. These are the same people who say "paedos should be killed, they never want to get better" -

- the " my child was threatened mob" again stating unproven facts, followed by " if that was my child I would literally murder the offender, I'd do time etc etc

- the "I found a perfect house but the council won't give me it" plea that gets shared by those who believe the government don't care, we live in a kip yet most of them live in social housing.

It seems to appeal to the lowest of society depsperately looking to feel as though they are part of some bull**** crusade.

And don't get me started on the hospital check ins where the "are you ok hun" replies are posted, liked and then ignored to add to the drama.

Or "share this man's photo, he asked approached a 10 year old on the green and asked him to touch him", accompanied by a photo of a usually elderly or middle aged man scarpering away.

He may have done this.

He may have told some scrote of a neighbour he'd have the guards after them if they didn't stop pulling doughnuts on the road outside his house, and this is their revenge.

Next time I see one of these shared I'm going to nonce shame the Dad of whatever brick swallower shared the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I'm friends with one of this lot. I remember she shared her outrage at the news that Joan Bruton was awarded €15 million for PTSD after the whole Jobstown row. It was, of course, a Waterford Whispers article. That shows you the idiocy you're dealing with.

There's also a danger of mistaken identity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Noveight wrote: »
    I'm friends with one of this lot. I remember she shared her outrage at the news that Joan Bruton was awarded €15 million for PTSD after the whole Jobstown row. It was, of course, a Waterford Whispers article. That shows you the idiocy you're dealing with.

There's also a danger of mistaken identity.

Reading about that mans story really makes my blood boil, and the scary part is that could happen to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Facebook is a disease, a cancer on this planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

mad muffin wrote: »
    Facebook is a disease, a cancer on this planet.

Only five posts in! Not too bad. I was about to add my usual "I'm glad I deleted my account" post, but now I don't have to.

This bandwagon craze is pure nonsense though. Each "do gooder" trying to out do-good the other.

Nobody stops to check facts. Nobody questions motives.

I'd like parents to bring up their children with a little healthy paranoia. Not enough to don a tinfoil hat and make logs of your neighbours activities. But... like Mulder from the X-Files level. Actually, that might be a bit too far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

They usually wait for the influx of 'u ok hun xx' posts and then they reply with 'jus a checkup every1 im ok lol'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Facebook? Ha. Seriously? I deleted my account years ago,

I didn't really. I'm actually quite prevalent on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

**** facebook i will never sign up to that utter garbage i dont care how many are on it I've never been the definition of a sheep.

They usually wait for the influx of 'u ok hun xx' posts and then they reply with 'jus a checkup every1 im ok lol'.

When I was on the site I'd comment this on each eejit looking for attention.

633.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

Why prolong and engage with something that brings you such annoyance and stress?

If social media makes you mad and raises your blood pressure, take a break or even delete your accounts.

I took a few months off Facebook maybe 5 years ago, like you I was sick of seeing the same old stupid status's and horseplop from the usual suspects.

5 years later I haven't been back and my mental health thanks me every day for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Mackmatic wrote: »
    Why prolong and engage with something that brings you such annoyance and stress?

If social media makes you mad and raises your blood pressure, take a break or even delete your accounts.

I took a few months off Facebook maybe 5 years ago, like you I was sick of seeing the same old stupid status's and horseplop from the usual suspects.

5 years later I haven't been back and my mental health thanks me every day for it :)

I agree with you to an extent, but I enjoy sharing pics with family / real friends and were I to leave it won't change the fact that these idiots exist almost everywhere around us...

But I do admit a serious pain in my hole seeing the same things going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

It's quietened down a lot in recent times so I barely spend time on it. It's the typical 'howiyas' that post the most I find about sh1te no one cares about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Or "This Supermarket is removing this killer product"

I ignore them all. It's factually proven that 125% of these are bullsh*t clickbait. Click [HERE] to link to the study.

All this kind of bull is actually killing Facebookand is going to finish it off within 18 months. What percentage of your Facebook feed is actually original posts from your contacts with something interesting? It's a wasteground of clickbait and profit/scam/agenda-driven lies (I am not going to use that F*ke N*ws Trumpism).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They are a bunch of lcoals in my area who are generally over forty. They've always being complainers/whingers/over dramatic. In the past they'd ring the local radio station or write to the local paper to complain about a sermon at mass, someone parked incorrectly, the government, church, schools, etc. Now theypost it online as well. Funnily enough they aren't as popular as they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's not just facebook, it's social media as a whole. Social media seems to have given a platform to all different kinds of biases and agendas, and it's also allowed for the spread of disinformation. I read an article some time ago where Barack Obama warned of the dangers of social media and irresponsible use of it. Now I'm sure there are people who don't like Obama for their own reasons but I think he has a point. I'll link the article so others can see for themselves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42491638

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Mutant z wrote: »
    **** facebook i will never sign up to that utter garbage i dont care how many are on it I've never been the definition of a sheep.

Ah I wouldn't write it off to that extent. It can be a good platform to learn more about your interests.

For example, I'm part of a group which focuses on a rather specific era of Ford tractors. There are 25,000 members and there could be anything up to 100 posts a day, mainly photos but some stories and folks buying/selling/looking for parts. It is a lot of information but you can use a search function to narrow it down. I rarely post there but often give a read through it.

Facebook can be a great tool, but as you've mentioned it can indeed be cesspool of nonsense too.

They are a bunch of lcoals in my area who are generally over forty. They've always being complainers/whingers/over dramatic. In the past they'd ring the local radio station or write to the local paper to complain about a sermon at mass, someone parked incorrectly, the government, church, schools, etc. Now theypost it online as well. Funnily enough they aren't as popular as they think.

Genuinely thought this was going somewhere else! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I agree with you to an extent, but I enjoy sharing pics with family / real friends and were I to leave it won't change the fact that these idiots exist almost everywhere around us...

But I do admit a serious pain in my hole seeing the same things going around.

flickr for photos

email to send links to photos/galleries/albums ....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

I've a Facebook account. Don't use it for any of that shi*e though. Just some light stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I've a Facebook account. Don't use it for any of that shi*e though. Just some light stalking.
    As Zuckerberg intended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement