Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Have a nice day"

• 30-07-2018 4:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I have recently noticed a lot of checkout people using this phrase to me after I have paid for groceries /goods. I never used to hear it before. I know it's an Americanism , just unusual hearing it here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What's wrong with it? :confused:

It's not American, people have been saying that for decades across the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Nothing wrong with it, just an observation. Just strange hearing it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sonics2k wrote: »

Ah it does sound very American

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Nice bit of friendliness. Hopefully it takes off more.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Was in Dealz a while back and the cashier said "next guest please", that was weird and American, I thought I was in Times Square and not Talbot Street!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Nice bit of friendliness. Hopefully it takes off more.

It never sounds sincere, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Hopefully there's a cashier somewhere in the US saying "alri g'luck lad" and they're chatting about it over on Boards.us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Phone your mom on your cellphone and axe her where's your sister at?

Its when they use your first name.

You have a great day Sylvester!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Phone your mom on your cellphone and axe her where's your sister at?

She fell off the side walk whilst taking the grocerriers out of the cart and putting them in the trunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I've been saying 'have a good day' or 'have a good one' for years, since before secondary school.
    Am I an american now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

There was a thread a few weeks ago, giving out about cashiers not being friendly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah it does sound very American

What should we say instead?

byebyebyebyebyebyebyebye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Is it any worse thqn being told "no problem" constantly in every outlet you go into.
    If I order coffee in a coffee shop I can't see why that should be difficult so no need to tell me "no problem"

In some countries they virtually throw your plate at you in restaurants and slam your change down on the counter in shops as they stare over your shoulder, scowling silently.

I don't care if it's not completely sincere, I'll take it over that kind of service any day. Lets not get upset at someone saying something nice to us, of all things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I say it all the time, but in my head I'm silently saying 'Go fuck yourself'.

I say it all the time, but in my head I'm silently saying 'Go fuck yourself'.

Have a nice day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I've noticed lately a lot of shop assistants politely ask "How are you?" but when I respond "Good, thanks. How are you?" they don't answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Candie wrote: »
    In some countries they virtually throw your plate at you in restaurants and slam your change down on the counter in shops as they stare over your shoulder, scowling silently.

Sounds like Nandos to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I've noticed lately a lot of shop assistants politely ask "How are you?" but when I respond "Good, thanks. How are you?" they don't answer.
    I'd say a lot of them are on autopilot and don't get that very often.

Months ago I was on the phone to someone from Vodafone, they were trying to sell me something.
    'Hi I'm <insert name> from Vodafone, how are you today?'
    'Hi I'm pretty good, how are you?'
    '. . . Sorry I don't usually get asked that question'

Imagine dealing with people all day and when you finally have a proper interaction you get flustered because you weren't expecting it.
    People forget that you might be the 100th person they've dealt with on any given day and more than half of them before you might have been arseholes but they still have to try to be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

She fell off the side walk whilst taking the grocerriers out of the cart and putting them in the trunk.

Didn't the clerk dial 911 for her? Say, enough already with the sidewalk schtick. We are fresh out of guacamole here. Can you go to the refrigerator and grab me a soda?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Edgware wrote: »
    Is it any worse thqn being told "no problem" constantly in every outlet you go into.
    If I order coffee in a coffee shop I can't see why that should be difficult so no need to tell me "no problem"

I always say no problem, I think its just an acceptance or reassurance no? what would you prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Y'all come back now, ya hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

minds me. gotta go to the store and get some produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    minds me. gotta go to the store and get some produce.

Don't forget that quart of milk maybe some lumber for the yard

Don't forget that quart of milk maybe some lumber for the yard

And get some chips. Gonna get a big bag of chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

And get some chips. Gonna get a big bag of chips.

Can you pick me up some heroin at the drugstore?

Did i say heroin? I meant vite-a-mins!

Agricola wrote: »
    Can you pick me up some heroin at the drugstore?

Did i say heroin? I meant vite-a-mins!

I think you need a script for heroin. You gotta script I'll try the Drug Store on my way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So now the staff say " have a nice day " and still people find fault with it . Can they do anything right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And then they had to go in the garbage can

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Surely the reponse should be "radiant Sir radiant" a la Suits you Sir, the ladies love a man in a suit Sir

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Why can't they just ignore you for 5 minutes while chatting to a colleague, exhale with irritation when serving you and slam the change down on the counter instead of this American polite sh1te.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Sonics2k wrote: »

They have in their hoop. It's a pure Americanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Its called having good customer service nothing at all wrong with that.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Good evening.

I like to be greeted when I enter a premises, and wished well as I leave.

Pip pip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Balanadan wrote: »
    Good evening.

I like to be greeted when I enter a premises, and wished well as I leave.

Pip pip.

Banquet Doorman : Your coat, sir?

Lt. Frank Drebin : Yes, it is. And I have a receipt to prove it.

Class film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think you need a script for heroin. You gotta script I'll try the Drug Store on my way back.

Always thought the lead singer had a bit of a junkie vibe from him

A clean fat junkie but a junkie nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Edgware wrote: »

I always say no problem, I think its just an acceptance or reassurance no? what would you prefer?

Coming riiight up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

A cashier at the local shop always says 'mind yourself', but with a smile so Ive never taken it as a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

jbt123 wrote: »
    Coming riiight up!

I don't work in mcdonalds.. But if my boss asks me to do something I'll usually respond with no problem! would that be seen as rude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

jbt123 wrote: »
    Coming riiight up!

I don't work in mcdonalds.. But if my boss asks me to do something I'll usually respond with no problem! would that be seen as rude?

Just kidding mate.

I say 'No problem' quite often myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

There's nothing wrong with it. The way customer service staff here bark, 'You okay?' is way worse. Why that became acceptable is beyond me.

Anyway, if you want to work in public facing roles anywhere besides Ireland you're better off learning the standard American expressions than the bogger stuff you get outta staff here.

Bah, bah dah-da, bah bah, bah dah-da

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

How sincere is a kiss off from a cashier ever going to be? What are you expecting? I’d take fake sincerity any day over rudeness. And it’s generally going to be one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I always say it at the end of a till transaction. I mean it, I hope the till operator gets no hassle, happy customers, a handy shift and a nice day afterwards. A nice day.

Can't I say that anymore? Christ on a bike😠😠

Advertisement