Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window cleaning

Options
  • 30-07-2018 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I’m trying to get my son started on window cleaning for the last few weeks before he goes back what does he need besides ladder and squidgy what sort of cleaning fluid would be best use and any detailed help would be great thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

He needs insurance, which he will not get.

The risk of a fall is too great.

The window cleaning industry has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Thanks but I checked out the insurance part he can have an extension pole what other items would you think he need s

Thanks but I checked out the insurance part he can have an extension pole what other items would you think he need s

He needs something to pump the water. It really needs to be battery powered for domestic work. There are systems available. A lot of gear when you are only to get 30 euro for a job.

He needs something to pump the water. It really needs to be battery powered for domestic work. There are systems available. A lot of gear when you are only to get 30 euro for a job.

Ohh right you seem very knowledgeable about this could you send me a list and I will get him started thanks again

Ohh right you seem very knowledgeable about this could you send me a list and I will get him started thanks again

Also what cleaning agent would he use that would be best

• Advertisement

As I understand it, they don't use a cleaning agent. They use water, often purified water. This is to avoid leaving a residue.

This is an example of a system, but I think you'll find less expensive lower quality gear. http://www.streamline.systems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Any ‘hose’ system is going to be frowned upon this summer so it’s a bucket and ladder i’m afraid. Why not try car valeting instead?

Any ‘hose’ system is going to be frowned upon this summer so it’s a bucket and ladder i’m afraid. Why not try car valeting instead?

My window guys tell me (by email) that they use water from a well. They also use very little water. They carry it in a portable battery powered unit which they carry through the house.

A ladder and bucket should only be used where there is no reasonably practicable alternative.

Car valeting is much safer and requires less equipment for sure (as long as you are not power washing the car and your scale is small, as it would be in this weather and this case).

My window guys tell me (by email) that they use water from a well. They also use very little water. They carry it in a portable battery powered unit which they carry through the house.

A ladder and bucket should only be used where there is no reasonably practicable alternative.

Car valeting is much safer and requires less equipment for sure (as long as you are not power washing the car and your scale is small, as it would be in this weather and this case).

Thanks for your advice .. I always thought they used some sort of cleaning solution well that’s good to know thanks for kk your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

None of the window cleaners that visit our estate charge €30...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

So a legitimate business that cleans windows is not allowed to use a ladder anymore...insurance companies wont quote if using a ladder?

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    So a legitimate business that cleans windows is not allowed to use a ladder anymore...insurance companies wont quote if using a ladder?

Insurers can quote whatever they want.

There are situations where a ladder is fine. But there is legislation around this. A ladder should only be used where it is necessary.

Advertisement