Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trial in an airplane before flying?

Options
  • 30-07-2018 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I am making inquiries for a chap with severe Cerebral Palsy, who uses a custom made wheelchair.
    He has been invited to a family wedding in the Canary Islands so needs to fly.

But in order to fly I need to find out if he can fit, comfortably, in an airplane seat.

Anyone here know if there is anywhere I can do a trial on a seat?
    Have already contacted OCS and they cannot help me. They only deal with manual handling & looking after the chair etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would think that http://atlanticairadventures.com/ may have normal seats as they have lots of random parts of aircraft but they're a very considerable distance from you.

737s have marginally narrower seats than A320s normally (the only two types usually flying to the Canaries from Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

PM sent to you mollzer

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

If you pop into Ryanair reception in airside they have 737 seats as their waiting area. I'm sure the guys on reception will be happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Question, do Aer Lingus use the 737’s to fly to Feurteventura?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

mollzer wrote: »

Would be an A320 or A321, don’t think they ever use A330 on that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

mollzer wrote:

Nope , Airbus a320.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

According to here ,Aer Lingus don't have any 737's on the fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

According to here ,Aer Lingus don't have any 737's on the fleet.

Aer Lingus haven't had 737s in a long time now. Airbus A320/A321 are used for short haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭zenith90

EI do have a 737 operating on the schedule out of BHD, albeit on wet lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Lots of Catholic parishes send lots of pilgrims to Lourdes every year, in the company of doctors, nurses and enthusiastic amateur helpers. Your local parish or Franciscan or Oblate centre would be able to direct you to some knowledgeable opinion.

• Advertisement

Would anyone know what the seat specifications are for the Airbus 320/321? or where I could go to find out?

Know the pitch but wondering about leg room length, height of seat from the ground ? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Would anyone know what the seat specifications are for the Airbus 320/321? or where I could go to find out?

Know the pitch but wondering about leg room length, height of seat from the ground ? thank you

Click in to the pictures , last picture is an engineering drawing with all the seat dimensions.

https://aviauction.com/listing/zodiac-weber-5600-aircraft-a320-family/74

Thanks a million Car99!

Anyone any idea about leg room? distance from seat to floor, under the seat in front?

Anyone have any idea what’s the distance between the seat and the space under the seat in front, for someone unable to bend their leg at the knee? (Cerebral Palsy/disability)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Do you mean the space between the seat cushion and the floor?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Anyone have any idea what’s the distance between the seat and the space under the seat in front, for someone unable to bend their leg at the knee? (Cerebral Palsy/disability)

Book row 1, seat A, B or C which are the seats at the door, so no seats in front of you, and board last. And contact the airline and explain the situation.

Merged with your previous thread on this

Book row 1, seat A, B or C which are the seats at the door, so no seats in front of you, and board last. And contact the airline and explain the situation.

Just be aware that these are emergency exit seats and need to be occupied by able bodied passengers capable of opening door in an emergency etc. (Not saying this applies to the op as I don't know but just be aware of it)

The only place you will get the answers you need op is from the special assistance department of the airline or tour operator you are travelling with.

They will asses your specific needs and advise if they can accommodate them. I know that restricted leg movement can be an issue.

If you are unable to find the contact details let us know the airline / tour operator and I'll find it for you.

Just be aware that these are emergency exit seats and need to be occupied by able bodied passengers capable of opening door in an emergency etc. (Not saying this applies to the op as I don't know but just be aware of it)

Fairly certain they aren't on Aer Lingus, front doors are staff operated (as on Ryanair) and there's a bulkhead in front of them (I think...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

L1011 wrote: »

Fairly certain they aren't on Aer Lingus, front doors are staff operated (as on Ryanair) and there's a bulkhead in front of them (I think...)
    I believe the AB EF seats are unrestricted I believe, the C and D seats require an ABP, I could be wrong, you need to check with the airline directly

Because the chap I am researching for has severe cerebral palsy, he requires a harness and will have to sit at very back row. No seats behind him.
    He has no bend in his knees & and yes, I require the distance between cushion and how far his feet could reach under seat in front. I’ve a friend flying out tomorrow with a measuring tape!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

If he can't bend his legs, then he has no chance of fitting into a standard seat;his best bet is a seat behind a bulkhead as they usually have a bit more legroom, but they are usually the first row. You'll have to contact the airlines and ask.

Molzer how did you get along with your enquiries with OCS at Dublin Airport?
    https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/special-assistance/reduced-mobility
    As I mentioned in my PM to you earlier in the week, they will be able to offer all the necessary assistance required.

Hi Pat, I have been in contact with OCS, really helpful but they only do the transfers. They do not measure seats or organize seating comfort for people with disabilities. That’s up to us. Aer Lingus have also been helpful but it is near impossible to find out what I thought was easy measurements to find out. Plus there is no ‘try before you fly’ service here in Ireland. But there is in the UK!

Hi Pat, I have been in contact with OCS, really helpful but they only do the transfers. They do not measure seats or organize seating comfort for people with disabilities. That’s up to us. Aer Lingus have also been helpful but it is near impossible to find out what I thought was easy measurements to find out. Plus there is no ‘try before you fly’ service here in Ireland. But there is in the UK!

Have you tried contacting Aer Lingus on Twitter, they are very responsive through that medium.
    Did you receive a response from Enable Ireland?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Have you tried contacting Aer Lingus on Twitter, they are very responsive through that medium.
    Did you receive a response from Enable Ireland?

Hi Pat, yes, Aer Lingus on Twitter were also very helpful. I have found out a lot of information and there are no simulators for flying (apart from cockpit of course).
    Haven’t gotten in touch with Enable Ireland because the only piece of info I am looking for now is the actual measurement for the leg room. Distance between seat cushion and where legs can stretch out in front under seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The seat pitch is the distance between each seat, bottom of the seat frame to the next seat frame, which is typically around 30 inches fore and aft. Most economy seats are set at one pitch when the seats are fitted and are rarely, if ever, changed; emergency row seats are further apart and some bulkhead/class divider row seats have a bit more legroom. Cabin crew training devices also tend to reflect the actual cabin seat pitch so that cabin crew trainees can get used to the sizes and spaces. In reality, this means that the rear of the seat in front of a passenger is about six inches max from the hinged base of the seat's meal tray to the passenger's knee, so it's quite tight even for an able-bodied passenger. I suspect your passenger would not fit a conventionally spaced seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Hi Pat, yes, Aer Lingus on Twitter were also very helpful. I have found out a lot of information and there are no simulators for flying (apart from cockpit of course).
    Haven’t gotten in touch with Enable Ireland because the only piece of info I am looking for now is the actual measurement for the leg room. Distance between seat cushion and where legs can stretch out in front under seat.

I attended a fearless flying course at Simtech near Dublin Airport. As well as the flight simulators there was a fuselage of an aircraft wth seating all laid out. Sorry not sure what type of aircraft, but we all sat inside for the course briefing. Might be worth looking in to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement