Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Yeah someone's appearance doesn't affect others in any way.

Why everyone wears t-shirts to interviews I suppose.

Ridiculous if you think clothing, accessories, appearance in general has no effect on people's emotions/what judgements they make.

The very reason for clothing/accessorising/body modification is social/emotional.

Except I never said that, not even remotely. I was just making the point that one can't claim that everyone who says tattoo's affect how the view people is lying. Some people just don't care, some probably don't even notice frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

In Japan you're not allowed into a bath house or swimming pool if you have tattoos. Fun fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I just got another tattoo today......I felt at least 50% less likely to become a CEO directly after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I just got another tattoo today......I felt at least 50% less likely to become a CEO directly after

Some of your intelligence probably drained away and your IQ tumbled down a few notches too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Expressed mathematically, that would be [0% * (50%)] the answer to which is equal to 0%!

It must be reassuring to know that even if you have an infinite numbers of tattoos applied your chances of making CEO will remain completely unaltered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

It is pretty cool, thank you. It is also physical, dirty work, with long hours, in a service industry, that is not half as well paid as many people imagine.

But goddamn it's cool :)

I would actually LOVE to read an AMA on that - you should defo put yourself forward for one, if you'd be willing, I'm sure you'd get tonnes of questions. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

brooke 2 wrote:
    'Our minds are like parachutes - they work best when they are open!'

I'm afraid Spanish eyes is plummetting towards the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Had a mermaid and anchor done when I was in the air force,never held me back promotions wise

Are you sure you weren't in the Navy ?
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Don't have any myself and not a fan.

Each to their own, but I don't see the appeal of drawing on yourself in permanent ink like so many others to show how individual you are.

I wouldn't look down on someone...

Agree.
    It is not like growing and styling (loose definition here I know) a mullet and then realising a few weeks later you are not a German footballer or in a successful rock band.
    Tatoos are as good as permanent and painful and costly to remove AFAIK.

I think tattoos are personal and couldn't care what you have, but when someone has plastered their hands and face I find it can be offputting.

Also what might look good on the toned torso of Beckham or Angeline Jolie doesn't always work on mere mortals.
    A friend of mine is a Catholic priest. He has two. Neither of them are anything to do with religion.

I would be careful admitting that around here. :eek:
    troyzer wrote: »
    In Japan you're not allowed into a bath house or swimming pool if you have tattoos. Fun fact.

Might have something to do with the Yakuza.

Also would be frowned upon if someone noticed you were missing fingers and finger tips particularly of the left hand.;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Turnipman wrote:
    It must be reassuring to know that even if you have an infinite numbers of tattoos applied your chances of making CEO will remain completely unaltered!

Well that depends.....I may decide to open a lemonade stall outside my house and make myself CEO, CFO + COO........So there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Apparently one in three Americans now has a tattoo, up from one in five a few years ago. Those of you who hate them may have to calm down and get the fcuk over it for the sake of your blood pressure.

It just goes to show how sheep-like people become in following fads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mickrock wrote: »
    It just goes to show how sheep-like people become in following fads.

Then it has to be one of the oldest fads in the history of mankind, seeing as the history of Tattoos goes back thousands of years. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I wouldn't dream of a tatoo two years ago.
    Now I've 5

They're all personal and I designed my sleeve.

The guy in the tatoo parlour told me, you'll get giys going in for a hit of ink....and its only for the weekend.....longest weekend of their life lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

There goes your chances of becoming a newsreader also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Some of your intelligence probably drained away and your IQ tumbled down a few notches too.

No. That happened in the moments just before deciding to get the tattoo.

This thread is infuriating to read. It's like I've been transported back to the 1950's. I can almost hear the chorus of tut tutting going on around the country as the various gob****es on here are feverishly trying to untwist their oversized knickers, while trying not to spill their bedtime Complan.

Nobody is going to sneak in and tattoo you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This thread is infuriating to read. It's like I've been transported back to the 1950's. I can almost hear the chorus of tut tutting going on around the country as the various gob****es on here are feverishly trying to untwist their oversized knickers, while trying not to spill their bedtime Complan.

As a matter of interest what makes you think its an older age group that object to tattoos ? I am no spring chicken and fall into your( insulting ) category and have defended tattoo wearers all throughout the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

There goes your chances of becoming a newsreader also!

Depends on where the tatts are

@iamwhoiam. Never mentioned anyone's age. It's not the vintage of the people I'm referring to at all. It's the old fashioned attitudes. You can swap Complan for small batch Gin if ya want! Certainly no offence meant to older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

I'd say the tattoo removal business will be big in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

I think tattoos have the potential to be absolutely gorgeous.

It depends on the artist and the canvas, obviously, but I enjoy looking at them, asking their meaning/story if they're tactful.

I'm not talking about a big pitbull on one's chest, but something related to mythology or history, or just an artistic piece, or even something satirical, so long as its well done, I love them.

Especially on women.

I'll always find a person with a tattoo has a lot more to talk about and generally much better craic to have a pint with.

The stigma against them generally comes from the boomers shaking their walking shticks at cultural progression. And that's absolutely fine, times change, as do societies.

They're definitely a direct representation of the person that dons them though, people that get their own names tattoo'd on themselves are the biggest W(*&ers alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

out of the ordinary and minimal tats can look good i think

its the tribals or roses.. ones with no imagination like they were picked out of a book look terrible or boring.

names also "Caleb" , "Darren" in the big dirty manuscript font

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Sometimes.

But if someone's wearing a snapback, ooooooooh boy that ivory tower is gonna be big.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

jbt123 wrote: »
    Donates blood regularly I believe.
    That's probably not the reason though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

I read a study about people with tattoos being more likely to engage in risk taking. And that risk takers generally will have better genes as natural selection would've weeded out the inept risk takers through natural selection or the like.

So on one hand, I can see people wearing them as a badge of honour for whatever sh*t they've gone through in life.

On the other hand, excessive tats generally look aggressive and definitely not a good look for most women.
    It's usually a sign they've more emotional baggage than a Dublin airport luggage collection conveyor belt.

In general, I label people with conspicuous tattoos as trying too hard to be an individual because they can't fit into mainstream society.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I can take them or leave them, like piercings or purple hair.
    I did meet a chap recently with his shaved head and face covered in snake tattoos, curling around his eyes. I did find this momentarily disturbing until we got into a chat about nothing in particular. They just then became part of him. Regular fellow of a very pleasent disposition.
    Reinforces my resolve to judge not.

• Advertisement

David Bowie has no tattoos

This is a desperately amateur/ condescending answer, but anytime I see someone with face, neck or head tattoos, I start to wonder what kind of personality disorders and/ or mental struggles they have.

You don't need to try and convince me that these people could well be perfectly healthy (it's true), or that that makes me sound like an asshole (also true), it's just an instant reaction I have.

Would I treat them any differently to anyone else? Definitely not. As for tattoos generally, surely a large proportion of the population already has at least one tattoo? They're commonplace, there's nothing wrong with them, unless it's your partner's tattoo and she has her ex's name writ large across the small of her back, or (worse) a dolphin. Cos that's just lazy.

or (worse) a dolphin. Cos that's just lazy.
    David Bowie has a song that mentions dolphins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I doubt he still has them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

kubjones wrote: »

I'll always find a person with a tattoo has a lot more to talk about and generally much better craic to have a pint with.

Ah yeah. Can't beat the full time mad bastard for the whopper bants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I drew up a simple Judo black belt design which I wanted to have done, showed it to a mate and the cock sucker went and got it first.

He showed me when he got it and thanked me for the idea, like I'd be fvcking delighted or something.

He's one of my best mates, but still an asshole thing to do.

There's a few tattoo's which with hindsight I shouldn't have had done, but I've a lot of life experiences and those tattoo's reflect those periods of my life so they're staying (ugly as they are).

I do think a lot of neck tattoo's look scummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Princess Stephanie does :)

eQRsimK.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »
    Princess Stephanie does :)

eQRsimK.jpg
    Who's Princess Stephanie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Don't mind small tattoos (even contemplated getting one myself but, at my age, that ship has sailed). Those sleeve tattoos though; I don't care how well done the artwork is, they look dreadful. Complete overkill, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Only God can judge them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

My sister in law has about 7 tattoos including a fairly large forearm piece. Hasn't stopped her progressing in her career, currently she's head of an entire continent for one of the world's largest companies. Not quite CEO I guess, probably the tattoos.

Id be interested to know what job the non-tattoed OP has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

My sister in law has about 7 tattoos including a fairly large forearm piece. Hasn't stopped her progressing in her career, currently she's head of an entire continent for one of the world's largest companies. Not quite CEO I guess, probably the tattoos.

Id be interested to know what job the non-tattoed OP has.

i'd say if her superiors knew she had tattoos they would look down on her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

i'd say if her superiors knew she had tattoos they would look down on her
    Unless they have tattoos also (or like most of us, just don't really care), though she likely doesn't have many superiors in that position anyway.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Unless they have tattoos also (or like most of us, just don't really care), though she likely doesn't have many superiors in that position anyway.

I dont know, it would look very bad in a high level exec meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

But Lyle Landley's sister in law has them and is a high level exec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

How many of those have you attended recently?

Shenshen wrote: »
    How many of those have you attended recently?

attended one yesterday as it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If it was on her face. Or if she works in the 1800's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What folk choose to do with their bodies is their concern so I do not look down on them, but I seriously wonder why on earth anyone would want to. It classes as mutilation as it is far from painless ? And there is a connection between it and self harm.

Most of us have pain and to spare.

And the cost..

No way would I ever consider it.

Seriously weird...

Graces7 wrote: »
    What folk choose to do with their bodies is their concern so I do not look down on them, but I seriously wonder why on earth anyone would want to. It classes as mutilation as it is far from painless ? And there is a connection between it and self harm.

Most of us have pain and to spare.

And the cost..

No way would I ever consider it.

Seriously weird...

yes i always thought the same, why would anyone want to destroy themselves like that, if i see someone covered in tattoos i always consider their mental health because it is a form of self harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yes i always thought the same, why would anyone want to destroy themselves like that, if i see someone covered in tattoos i always consider their mental health because it is a form of self harm

I just googled that and the connection is very strongly acknowledged. and imagine having the name of someone you once loved then fell out with branded on you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭argentum

I'm in my mid 50'S and finally got a tattoo this year after wanting one for so long.Its only about 2 inches tall ,on my back where it cant be seen and I couldn't give a f**k about what other people think of it.
    I'm also the CEO of a large company that gives a lot of employment so to be honest I couldn't give a f**k if people look down on me and since I cant go any further up the chain in the company the tattoo is unlikely to effect me in work
    If people think that I am a certain social class well I am, I work for a living so I guess I'm working class like loads of other people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

argentum wrote: »
    I'm in my mid 50'S and finally got a tattoo this year after wanting one for so long.Its only about 2 inches tall ,on my back where it cant be seen and I couldn't give a f**k about what other people think of it.

Cool. Long as it’s not a cheetah or an arrow pointing at your arse cleft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Graces7 wrote: »
    I just googled that and the connection is very strongly acknowledged. and imagine having the name of someone you once loved then fell out with branded on you...

All those Maori's are mentally ill. I don't think I'm generalising when I say every last one of them is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't like them, wouldn't get one but wouldn't judge someone for one except some of the really stupid ones (face, side of neck etc).

They're clearly a fashion thing at the moment, seriously considering investing in a tattoo removal firm soon enough. Beards and tattoos will look incredibly dated in five years time.

Advertisement