Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Nothing worse than seeing a beautiful woman who has destroyed that beaity with tattoos. Very small ones I can just about abide but in general they're for lowlifes and cretins.

I have a tattoo, I'm not a low life or a cretin. I'm just a normal, average member of society. I've worked since I was 16, am degree educated & have never been in trouble with the law.
    So your sweeping generalisation is incorrect.

Can't figure out whether you're trolling for a reaction is just being a judgmental, sanctimonious snob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I have a tattoo, I'm not a low life or a cretin. I'm just a normal, average member of society. I've worked since I was 16, am degree educated & have never been in trouble with the law.
    So your sweeping generalisation is incorrect.

Can't figure out whether you're trolling for a reaction is just being a judgmental, sanctimonious snob.

personally i just cant understand why you would do such a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personally I don't understand why you would be so judgmental really. Its not a nice trait at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

A lot of people won't like what I'm about to say. I'm in Dublin at the moment and it's almost as if, that if you want to be cool and modern then you need to get a tattoo. I even find myself seeing guys with tattoos who don't seem to fit the stereotype for getting a tattoo! I even over heard a conversation recently where by a group of lads were confused why Ronaldo doesn't have tattoos!!

When I see senior managers with tattoos I often think to myself "fair play to you for getting so far, it's a pity you had to let yourself down with that disgusting ink marking on your wrist. That's how I know this is far as you'll get". They won't get to be CEO! Especially if they also say "I done"

When I see tattoos, all I think is that such a person is likely from a certain social class, that they're a trend follower, that they probably smoke, or that they're seeking validation of some sort. Effectively, tattoos all look the same, and all look horrible. I don't think much people pay attention to what the tattoos are, and more so "oh he's got a tattoo"
    I don't drink, smoke,come from a middle class area of Cork,have tattoos,so stereo types don't always ring true,,,p.s. if you knew anything at all of Irish,or indeed Celtic history you'd probably understand a bit more ref the history of ppl putting them on their skin ,do you wear a shirt and tie to work,or a uniform of any kind,,,,then you also are guilty of following a trend,,mine are political ,and don't particularly care what other people think,I'm secure and happy enough in my own skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

tattoos will forever be associated with jailbirds and sailors
    Wow how modern,,,,the most narrow of views

You don't need to worry about understanding why I would do such a thing. Its irrelevant to you & your life.
    I don't know why you'd even feel entitled to need to understand the decisions someone else makes about their appearance? Who made you (or anyone) the judge and jury of what is & isn't acceptable?
    Seems like a massive waste of energy.

I would never ever judge another person based purely on how they look, dress, or present themselves.
    I would judge someone's character if they portrayed judgmental, ignorant traits, though. No time for anyone who carries themselves in such a manner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

denial, i feel sorry for you

No denial here.

Facts are never stupid i'm afraid

Care to share where you got your "facts " from.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

A lot of people won't like what I'm about to say. I'm in Dublin at the moment and it's almost as if, that if you want to be cool and modern then you need to get a tattoo. I even find myself seeing guys with tattoos who don't seem to fit the stereotype for getting a tattoo! I even over heard a conversation recently where by a group of lads were confused why Ronaldo doesn't have tattoos!!

When I see senior managers with tattoos I often think to myself "fair play to you for getting so far, it's a pity you had to let yourself down with that disgusting ink marking on your wrist. That's how I know this is far as you'll get". They won't get to be CEO! Especially if they also say "I done"

When I see tattoos, all I think is that such a person is likely from a certain social class, that they're a trend follower, that they probably smoke, or that they're seeking validation of some sort. Effectively, tattoos all look the same, and all look horrible. I don't think much people pay attention to what the tattoos are, and more so "oh he's got a tattoo"
    Thankfully this type of narrow minded thinking is nearly in the past ...Let people be and let them express themselves any way they want ..wouldnt it be a boring world if we all dressed and look the same ..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If anyone in my family got one i would disown them, we are not football hooligans, convicts and dockers

If I was a member of your family Id be delighted to be disowned by an idiot like your self.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    If I was a member of your family Id be delighted to be disowned by an idiot like your self.

i think your the idiot if you draw all over yourself

i think your the idiot if you draw all over yourself

Why do you care so much, about the choices another person makes for themselves?

Why do you care so much, about the choices another person makes for themselves?

i couldnt give a continental apart from the fact that they are a bad example for impressionable young kids and they look fcuking cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

i couldnt give a continental apart from the fact that they are a bad example for impressionable young kids
    How so?

kylith wrote: »
    How so?

kids are too young to know that you are stuck with that crap on their arms for the rest of their lives, its self harm

im not into tattoos myself but i would be way more wary of a judgemental arsehole then someone with tattoos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

kids are too young to know that you are stuck with that crap on their arms for the rest of their lives, its self harm

Ballcocks, more self-harm done by people who smoke and drink.

And yet you'd disown them. You're an arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Lads I think that's a fairly densely impenetrable wall of "I don't like them I think they look bad they are stupid I don't like them I don't have any they look bad I don't like them", I don't think he's going to reach a magic number of posts disagreeing with him and change his mind like.

And yet you'd disown them. You're an arsehole.

i'm an arsehole because i hate tattoos? maybe your the arsehole because someone doesnt conform like you do

im not into tattoos myself but i would be way more wary of a judgemental arsehole then someone with tattoos

maybe your judgmental against someone who hates them

• Advertisement

i'm an arsehole because i hate tattoos? maybe your the arsehole because someone doesnt conform like you do

No, you are an arsehole because you are saying you would disown a loved someone for doing something to THEIR OWN body just because you don't like it.
    The world doesn't revolve around you and your opinion.

No, you are an arsehole because you are saying you would disown a loved someone for doing something to THEIR OWN body just because you don't like it.
    The world doesn't revolve around you and your opinion.

a member of my own family would know better

I find the irony of this post hilarious . Talk about lack of self awareness !!

And the attention seeking is sort of sad

a member of my own family would know better

Your family doesn't tell you anything.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I find the irony of this post hilarious . Talk about lack of self awareness !!

And the attention seeking is sort of sad

irony as right, and you just dont get it

Its not self harm. And honestly I find your comment disgraceful considering Im involved with one of the best known counselling centres that deal with self harm and suicide in this country. Pathetic!!
    i'm an arsehole because i hate tattoos?

No youre an arsehole because youre an arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its not self harm. And honestly I find your comment disgraceful considering Im involved with one of the best known counselling centres that deal with self harm and suicide in this country. Pathetic!!

No youre an arsehole because youre an arsehole.

I'm a proctologist and find the context that you use the word asshole in to be sad and pathetic.
    It's leaves a real stain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: aroundthehouse and Hellrazer, don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

No problem with tattoos but I have seen people regret them only a short time later. Talked my friend out of getting a sleeve tattoo done and years later he said he was glad he didn't get one in the end. Contentious things so in general I think those who do the "yeah whatever, that's on them if they don't like it". Not really the issue though, it's if you'll like it in even 5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Thankfully this type of narrow minded thinking is nearly in the past ...Let people be and let them express themselves any way they want ..wouldnt it be a boring world if we all dressed and look the same ..

And yet the individualism rampant in society has not made people happier.

Personally I think tattoos are awful, I love art a lot but I think the natural body is unbeatable, staining it doesn't improve it.

Just my 0.02

• Advertisement

A lot of people won't like what I'm about to say. I'm in Dublin at the moment and it's almost as if, that if you want to be cool and modern then you need to get a tattoo. I even find myself seeing guys with tattoos who don't seem to fit the stereotype for getting a tattoo! I even over heard a conversation recently where by a group of lads were confused why

actually i try not to look down on people in general

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Tattoos are for trashy, degenerate types.

doylefe wrote: »

No they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Or the simple minded so easily influenced by whatever the current trend is.

I genuinely never understood the mindset of someone looking down on another for their choices of adornment .I dont have a tattoo but I cannot understand why anothers tattoo would bother anyone else . Unless its harming you or someone else then just find something else to be disdainful about .There are enough bad traits in people that would come way up my list of scorn , like judgemental, rude , ignorant , rough , pass remarkable, shallow or full of their own importance

Japan have the right idea, they associate tattoos with scumbags

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45586210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I'm 41, I have 8 tattoos, got my first 29 years ago and I have a few more planned, currently trying to come up with a nice design that will actually mean something to me. I come from a good family, have an alright job, I'm not a scumbag or layabout. I really don't like face or neck tattoos.

My wife doesn't have any and never will but I actually really like them on girls.

You got your first tattoo at 12?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Japan have the right idea, they associate tattoos with scumbags

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45586210

Incorrect, they associate tattoos with Yakuza.
    "In Japan, tattoos have long been associated with the notorious yakuza crime syndicates and inked tourists can find themselves barred from traditional communal hot springs, or onsens".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

You got your first tattoo at 12?

Obviously a typo, I got my first in 97, so 21 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I got my first tattoo nearly a year ago at the age of 50. Next weekend I’m booked in for my 10th.
    I never really made a conscious decision not to get them when I was younger. I just didn’t have any.

I’ve been told I’m having a mid life crisis, I’m too old to be getting tattoos, I’m trying to be cool etc etc but at this stage of my life I really couldn’t give a ****.

Ive had a coupe of tragedies happen very close to home in the last couple of years that have made me reevaluate my life and what is left of it. I had intended to get one tattoo, maybe two, but you know what? I really like them. They make me happy. I like the process of getting them done. I like looking at other people’s tattoos etc etc.

I totally understand that tattoos aren’t for everyone and some people don’t like them at all and I’ve zero problem with that.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age that many people judge people purely on having tattoos and I doubt the sincerity of many in here who have used the stereotypes that are associated with them and worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I only get suspicious if there's a prominent face tattoo. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a criminal, but whatever life you're living is probably too hardcore for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

Some shocking views here considering the accepting society we live in nowadays tbh.
    My body is a temple but i decorate it the way i see it fit
    Had no effect in my career yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd never look down on someone for having a tattoo but 9 times out of 10 they look awful, they don't look great on pale and freckled Irish skin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

madwidow wrote: »
    Some shocking views here considering the accepting society we live in nowadays tbh.
    It's only accepting because of some sort of politically correct mafia. People's opinions may be more passive, but yet never really change. And there's nothing to intimidate people on boards!

• Advertisement

In yesterdays sunday indo i saw a picture of that inner city senator, her arm was covered in tattoos, i thought it looked dreadful for someone in public office and give a bad impression abroad, bit of decorum people

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I'd never look down on someone for having a tattoo but 9 times out of 10 they look awful, they don't look great on pale and freckled Irish skin.

Tah ooos also don't age well no matter how well you looked originally. Nowadays, David Beckham looks like a tramp who slept on a damp newspaper. Imagine deciding in your 20's what haircut you were going to have for the rest of your life? Not for me, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Tah ooos also don't age well no matter how well you looked originally. Nowadays, David Beckham looks like a tramp who slept on a damp newspaper. Imagine deciding in your 20's what haircut you were going to have for the rest of your life? Not for me, thanks.

David-Beckham-Royal-Wedding-2018-Pictures.jpg

A tramp indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

A tramp indeed.

I'll leave the man love out of it, its not my scene. Look at the tah ooo's on his hands. They look like a child went mad with a black marker. The ones on the back of his neck (not visible here) are worse. They seriously look like a bad rash these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I don't look down on people with tattoos, what they do to their own bodies is their business not mine. However I do think that a lot of people who claim to get tattoos as an expression of "individuality" are on the wrong track, as tattoos are just so common nowadays, that if you are in your 20's it's probably more of a statement of individuality to not have them.
    A group of us 40-somethings were discussing this on a night out a few months ago, as there was a group of lads in the pub that looked like clones - beards, slicked-back hair, sleeve tattoos, etc. and a friend of mine remarked that it reminded her of of the Beautiful South lyrics:

And everyone is blonde
    And everyone is beautiful
    And when blondes and beautiful are multiple
    They become so dull and dutiful

In 20 years when they mature and get more confidence, at least they will be able to really express their individuality by dressing differently, changing their hair etc. but they will still all be stuck with those near-identical tattoos!

• Advertisement
Advertisement