Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There is a massive difference in not liking tattoos or indeed hating them and not liking a person because he/she has tattoos
    I don't think anyone on this thread would have been as bothered to read that people don't like tattoos , but are of course bothered to read judgemental posts and people looking down their noses at them .
    There is the huge difference and some don't seem to get that . I worked with the public all my life and very quickly by age 20 had learned that judging a book by its cover only was a big mistake . I met all sorts and the tattoos were definitely not a measure of how they were
    I don't have tattoos but hate to see any group of people judged on appearance or choice .
    I hate opera singing , I hate listening to it but I certainly don't hate the singer because of her choice of art !
    Some tattoos I don't like , some I find lovely , some are too dark etc . Equally I could walk into a home and hate the decor but love the person !
    Some tattoo wearers are lovely , some are eejits , some are grand , some are awful . The same as the rest of the human race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I think some posters are missing the point.
    Many people do judge people who have tattoos - especially in a work/professional situation.
    That might be small minded and snobbish of them but it happens - a lot.
    Having a visible tattoo will limit your professional options and leave you open to being judged (unfairly perhaps, but judged nonetheless).
    If you are certain that you are going to be okay with those consequences for the rest of your life, rock on.
    But don’t pretend it doesn’t happen, it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

When I see management types with tattoos, I think 'too bad you let yourself down by working in this lame corporate job with dorks who spend their time fantasizing about how they're going to be a CEO before you because they don't have any ink.'

I don't look down on them, I prefer to look the other way and avoid looking at their tattoed pictures which in not less cases are just ugly to me. When they are young they are happy with their tattoes and it looks good for them on their skin and they like to show it. When they grow older and the skin starts slackening, it ruins the tattoe picture and this is when it really starts to look ugly.

The judgement of tattoed people has changed in the past decades, as more got some for themselves. But prejudices are a bit hard to get rid of, so I might have lesser prejudice towards them, but still that sort of thing isn't my cuppa at all.

I think some posters are missing the point.
    Many people do judge people who have tattoos - especially in a work/professional situation.
    That might be small minded and snobbish of them but it happens - a lot.
    Having a visible tattoo will limit your professional options and leave you open to being judged (unfairly perhaps, but judged nonetheless).
    If you are certain that you are going to be okay with those consequences for the rest of your life, rock on.
    But don’t pretend it doesn’t happen, it does.

Yes of course it happens . It happens too that people look down their noses at where you live or how you speak or your job . But then its mainly to make themselves feel big and important I guess

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes of course it happens . It happens too that people look down their noses at where you live or how you speak or your job . But then its mainly to make themselves feel big and important I guess

Again, not the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Exactly. Just like that poster who went off on a tirade about people with sleeves and their dress sense, accents and "sh*tty jobs". Judgemental people will always find something to look down on others for, not just tattoos

Again, not the point.

Its my point .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't like tattoos at all. Think they're all ugly, don't like the style of art used nor the colours. Just not for me.

That said, I don't care if people have them or not. My wife has one, I don't like it but she does.

To be honest I would judge people more that think that "tattoos" is spelt as "tattoo's" than actually having them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Helps them peacock and stand out a little.
    Doesn't really explain though, as you can also peacock, possibly even much more effectively, with a mutually understood language like English.
    I was heading for 30, I'm claiming mid life crisis.

Two of my others are as Gaeilge!
    Zero problem with that if you live in Ireland and speak the language. When diaspora kids come on looking for translations here for their tattoo it kind of seems silly to me. You'll be wandering around Milwaukee or Idaho hoping somebody says "Hey man - what's that" to cue some pretentious 'Irish heritage' story.

Its my point .

Yes, but that's not really the way a discussion works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I dont agree with the OP but I would say that his/her attitude is probably what the majority of people in this country have, I remember being shocked that my workmate said he would not date a girl with tattoos no matter how hot she was.

Exactly. Just like that poster who went off on a tirade about people with sleeves and their dress sense, accents and "sh*tty jobs". Judgemental people will always find something to look down on others for, not just tattoos

On my recent holiday, one middle aged chap we saw had those disk earrings and tattoos all over his chest back and legs.

The legs were particularly colourful - absolutley covered in tattoos which stopped completely at a ring around at his ankles.

He looked like he was wearing skin coloured socks.

Were people judging him on his appearance?

Totally.

(And given the pain and expense he has gone through, I imagine thats what he wants)

On my recent holiday, one middle aged chap we saw had those disk earrings and tattoos all over his chest back and legs.

The legs were particularly colourful - absolutley covered in tattoos which stopped completely at a ring around at his ankles.

He looked like he was wearing skin coloured socks.

Totally.

(And given the pain and expense he has gone through, I imagine thats what he wants)

Sorry, what exactly is your point? That there are judgemental people out there? We already know that, based on this thread. Don't need any convincing there.

P.s kinda sad that you were judging someone on holidays but I'm sure you're only gorgeous yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

Because there’s no chance he went through that pain and expense solely because he likes how it looks? Or there’s personal meaning to him?

No, it must be to get you to look at him :rolleyes:

Because there’s no chance he went through that pain and expense solely because he likes how it looks? Or there’s personal meaning to him?

No, it must be to get you to look at him :rolleyes:

Also, I love how people who've never had tattoos seem to be experts on pain levels of getting them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

According to this thread
    If you have your tattoos on show, you're an attention seeker.
    If you don't have your tattoos on show, they're pointless or you're embarrassed by them.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Also, I love how people who've never had tattoos seem to be experts on pain levels of getting them

And they can determine by just a single glance at you on how smart, professional and well-mannered you are.

Honestly do I lose these superpowers when I'm getting a tattoo?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I have a bunch and I'm going to get a bunch more. Yeah they'll look different in fifty years, no duh.

I love these threads where I'm simultaneously supposed to be getting tattoos because I'm a slave to trends and because I'm trying to a unique little snowflake who somehow hasn't noticed that probably like half of people under 30 have a tattoo :D I like the way they look, I like the process of getting them, end of.

Tbh OP all this continuous "ugh look at those trashy lower class people who are doing things that I definitely don't do because I'm very, very much better than them" comes across as someone who's probably a couple of generations from the campfire themselves and really insecure about it. You need to cultivate that real air of middle class insularity where you have to be reminded that other types of people exist!

erica74 wrote: »
    According to this thread
    If you have your tattoos on show, you're an attention seeker.
    If you don't have your tattoos on show, they're pointless or you're embarrassed by them.
    :rolleyes:

Don't forget that if you call people out on their drivel, you're a snowflake and defensive and are trying to justify your tattoos and must really hate them!

• Advertisement

Sorry, what exactly is your point? That there are judgemental people out there? We already know that, based on this thread. Don't need any convincing there.

P.s kinda sad that you were judging someone on holidays but I'm sure you're only gorgeous yourself!

You are very confrontational about all this. You are not under attack.

All people make judgements about other people based on their appearance. Its human nature. (not just 'judgemental people' - everybody).
    Its a fact.

What is your problem with me stating this? I am not condoning it, just stating it.

As I posted earlier, if you think this will not impact you throughout your life, then great.

However, it might be wise to consider this as we never know how our circumstances might change over time.

FFS! Are you telling me getting tattoos all over your body doesnt hurt? Can you at least try to be reasonable in your attacks on everything I post?

FFS! Are you telling me getting tattoos all over your body doesnt hurt? Can you at least try to be reasonable in your attacks on everything I post?

Based on the tattoos I've had I can tell you that it's entirely bearable, with some parts sorer than others and other areas I've barely felt a thing. Would you like to share your experience?

Based on the tattoos I've had I can tell you that it's entirely bearable, with some parts sorer than others and other areas I've barely felt a thing. Would you like to share your experience?

Sure. I have a pain in my arse replying to disingeneous posts.

There's a huge variation depending where you get them. I've one on my inner upper arm that was pretty painful, one between my shoulder blades where I honestly nearly nodded off. My smallest one is on my leg and it was way more painful than I'd expected, it's the only one where I nearly needed to ask for a break even though it was only fifteen minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

You do know that tattoo wearers aren't actively trying to impress you, right?

You do know that you can't actually say that authoritively,right?

But as was clear from the entirety of the post you selectively quoted, the point I was making is that it is as absurd to be looking down on people for having tattoos as it would be to be in awe(or insert whatever term you feel is appropriate there) of them.

Not your body, so why on earth would anyone care? Except for partners or parents maybe.

• Advertisement

There's a huge variation depending where you get them. I've one on my inner upper arm that was pretty painful, one between my shoulder blades where I honestly nearly nodded off. My smallest one is on my leg and it was way more painful than I'd expected, it's the only one where I nearly needed to ask for a break even though it was only fifteen minutes.

I understand. I had posted that the guy i saw with tattoos all over his boday (except for his feet) must have went to expense and pain to get them done.

This pointed was slagged off ( 'Also, I love how people who've never had tattoos seem to be experts on pain levels of getting them')

But of course he must have felt some pain and he must have spent considerable money getting them all done.

But it seems that even a reasonable point like that will be attacked on here.

I understand. I had posted that the guy i saw with tattoos all over his boday (except for his feet) must have went to expense and pain to get them done.

This pointed was slagged off ( 'Also, I love how people who've never had tattoos seem to be experts on pain levels of getting them')

But of course he must have felt some pain and he must have spent considerable money getting them all done.

But it seems that even a reasonable point like that will be attacked on here.

Why do you keep saying you're being attacked?

You're making out that the pain comment was an innocent observation, you did not say he must have went to expense and pain, you made assumptions on his reasons for getting a tattoo based on stuff you have no experience in whatsoever. My point still stands, the pain is not as terrible as you think. It's worse in some areas and a breeze in others.

You guys should hug and make up and get matching BFFS FOREVER on opposite arse cheeks.

Why do you keep saying you're being attacked?

You're making out that the pain comment was an innocent observation, you did not say he must have went to expense and pain, you made assumptions on his reasons for getting a tattoo based on stuff you have no experience in whatsoever. My point still stands, the pain is not as terrible as you think. It's worse in some areas and a breeze in others.

Who said anything about 'terrible' pain? I said he must have gone to some pain and expense.
    Please stop with the petty nit picking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

You guys should hug and make up and get matching BFFS FOREVER on opposite arse cheeks.

Nah, in the spirit of the thread, it should be spelled wrong so how about BFFS FOREVA, much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone who claims you 'barely feel a thing' when getting tattoos must have only ever gotten very small ones. Some areas are worse than others, ranging from just plain uncomfortable to sting-ish and up to outright painful.....but you would definitely feel them.

It is completely reasonable to state that someone who's covered in tattoos clearly went to pain and expense....because they did. It's not really any sort of reflection on their character, just a simple logical deduction!

Anyone who claims you 'barely feel a thing' when getting tattoos must have only ever gotten very small ones. Some areas are worse than others, ranging from just plan uncomfortable to sting-ish and up to outright painful.....but you would definitely feel them.

It is completely reasonable to state that someone who's covered in tattoos clearly went to pain and expense....because they did. It's not really any sort of reflection on their character, just a simple logical deduction!

Maybe you should read his or her post again. He or she said that the tattooed middle aged guy clearly wanted to be judged or words to that effect.

As for what I said, I stand by it. In some areas I barely felt a thing (note how I say barely and not nothing but I forgot you have to be extremely literal on Boards sometimes).

erica74 wrote: »
    Nah, in the spirit of the thread, it should be spelled wrong so how about BFFS FOREVA, much better.

BFF'S :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

No tattoo is the new tattoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Google loy machedo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll wake up tomorrow morning without even thinking about them.
    I doubt it. You'll most likely now wake up tomorrow morning wondering if you should get another one :pac:
    The problem I have is someone telling me I won't go far in my chosen profession
    It really depends on the location of the tat, and what your profession is. A tattoo in the wrong place, for example on the top of the hand or along the fingers, and you'd be seen in the same light as a tracksuit clad foot-soldier. Likewise with most face tattoos. Neck tattoos, once not gang related, can sometimes be ignored, unless you'll be client facing and your boss fears it'd cause the clients to walk away.

In IT, I knew a few people with sleeves who'd be able to wear short sleeved shirts, but would have to wear long sleeved shirts when the clients were in. They'd usually have such a shirt in the work drawer for unannounced visits. AFAIK, they have to wear long sleeved shirts in their current jobs.

In Ireland, once you could cover them up, there was no issue. Here in Toronto (Ontario), most bus drivers have full sleeves (fully visible), and from talking to people with tattoos whilst in Banff (Alberta), in the last 5-10 years they've been accepted for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

the_syco wrote:
    It really depends on the location of the tat, and what your profession is. A tattoo in the wrong place, for example on the top of the hand or along the fingers, and you'd be seen in the same light as a tracksuit clad foot-soldier. Likewise with most face tattoos. Neck tattoos, once not gang related, can sometimes be ignored, unless you'll be client facing and your boss fears it'd cause the clients to walk away.

the_syco wrote:
    In IT, I knew a few people with sleeves who'd be able to wear short sleeved shirts, but would have to wear long sleeved shirts when the clients were in. They'd usually have such a shirt in the work drawer for unannounced visits. AFAIK, they have to wear long sleeved shirts in their current jobs.

the_syco wrote:
    In Ireland, once you could cover them up, there was no issue. Here in Toronto (Ontario), most bus drivers have full sleeves (fully visible), and from talking to people with tattoos whilst in Banff (Alberta), in the last 5-10 years they've been accepted for the most part.

I work in a profession where it's bare below the elbows . I have tattoos on my forearm and wrist . I thankfully have never been judged on my abilities because of these . I've been steadily employed for 25 years plus .This thread has shocked me to be honest , I didn't realise people could be so backwards and old fashioned . It's an eye opener for definite but each to their own !

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Totally.

You were the only one judging him by the sounds of your posts .
    JUDGEMENTAL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

tattoos are hot, there are variances but , feck it ,tattoos are fine, end of discussion.

Can’t stand tattoos. A properly stupid thing to do to yourself. My wife has a very small tattoo of a little bird on her upper back (really very small, but I absolutely hate it and when I spot it I immediately think she’s a muppet for ever getting it done) and wanted to get her hair cut to shoulder length. I told her to do whatever she wants, no worries at all, but she knows she’ll be sleeping on the couch if she cuts her hair short before getting that proxy tattoo removed. No discussion to be had as far as I’m concerned. She’ll pay for the removal herself too. Or she’ll keep her hair down and cover up the evidence of a stupid decision to get graffiti on her lovely skin. I’m mad about her, but that tattoo (and 99.999% of the crappy ones people get and display like idiots) absolutely makes me look down my nose at the tattood fool in front of me. Stupid people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Only if its a really dumb tattoo.
    Like obviously and deliberately stupid. Not just something I wouldn't like myself.

I'm thinking getting one but I'm always worried I'll hate it and think its stupid a few years later.
    When I think of some of tattoo ideas I had when I was younger I cringe so I'm probably right.

somefeen wrote: »
    Only if its a really dumb tattoo

[snip]

When I think of some of tattoo ideas I had when I was younger I cringe so I'm probably right.

They’re all dumb and you are right.

I think everyone with any intellect who gets a tattoo will come to regret it. Sooner or later they’ll realize that the thing the had inked on their body will end up looking like crap. The worst part is that plenty of those clowns will try to ‘enhance’ their body art (more stupidity) by adding something else.

When you’re older, as your body changes and your form fades and you start to grey, your tattoos are going to look awful. Hide them, don’t try to accentuate them (more stupidity) and be honest and tell younger folks not to go painting inane crap on themselves.

I met a restaurant owner today who had beautifully done, vibrant colored cartoon characters on his arms. In 10 years time when he’s in his 40’s, his kids will be embarrassed by their idiot father with tweety pie and the animaniacs drawn on his arms. Talk about a stupid thing to pay someone to do to you.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Can’t stand tattoos. A properly stupid thing to do to yourself. My wife has a very small tattoo of a little bird on her upper back (really very small, but I absolutely hate it and when I spot it I immediately think she’s a muppet for ever getting it done) and wanted to get her hair cut to shoulder length. I told her to do whatever she wants, no worries at all, but she knows she’ll be sleeping on the couch if she cuts her hair short before getting that proxy tattoo removed. No discussion to be had as far as I’m concerned. She’ll pay for the removal herself too. Or she’ll keep her hair down and cover up the evidence of a stupid decision to get graffiti on her lovely skin. .

Wow Just wow . I am not easily shocked on boards but that whole post shocked me
    Then again I am guessing that was the intent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't look down on anyone if they don't harm me or anyone else.

Life is too short for that. Everyone is different and likes different things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Can’t stand tattoos. A properly stupid thing to do to yourself. My wife has a very small tattoo of a little bird on her upper back (really very small, but I absolutely hate it and when I spot it I immediately think she’s a muppet for ever getting it done) and wanted to get her hair cut to shoulder length. I told her to do whatever she wants, no worries at all, but she knows she’ll be sleeping on the couch if she cuts her hair short before getting that proxy tattoo removed. No discussion to be had as far as I’m concerned. She’ll pay for the removal herself too. Or she’ll keep her hair down and cover up the evidence of a stupid decision to get graffiti on her lovely skin. I’m mad about her, but that tattoo (and 99.999% of the crappy ones people get and display like idiots) absolutely makes me look down my nose at the tattood fool in front of me. Stupid people.

Your wife seems like she has great tolerance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Damn women having control over their own bodies. Who do they think they are?! Give her an aul slap if she doesn't obey you, sure. That'll learn her.

How did she even get out of the kitchen in the first place to get to the tattoo parlour? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I can honestly say I've never been asked the question in an interview in my career if I have any tattoos. In fact most people are quite shocked when the realise that I do have some. All were thought out and picked myself (not from a random book in the shop itself) and the placement of same thought about carefully. Not from a "will this affect my career prospects" point of view but more from a "where do I really like where this is placed and what size suits me" place.

I have no issues with someone not liking tattoos. My other half doesn't really. He doesn't mind mine but says it's because he's never seen me without them. What I have an issue with is someone saying that having them will affect my career (hasn't happened to date) or that it indicates something about my personality other than the fact that I like tattoos.
    Won't happen in a bank or Civil Service or that kind of set up really, but maybe they are ceo's of edgy new kids on the block type companies.

I know you will come back and say otherwise. That's fine. But I really doubt it in the mainstream TBH. Visible tats are not expected or welcomed in certain occupations.

Anyway what you are saying is only hearsay anyway. As is my observation too let it be said!

I worked in a fairly conservative industry at the start of my career and one of the top people in the business had the names of his children on his forearm. He's kids were teenagers at that point and he'd gotten them done when each was born so had definitely risen the ranks with them there.

My friend is a teacher and has a rose running up her arm. She had used make-up to cover it in school but one day the principal noticed it (end of day & make-up had run off it in a spot) and told her there was no need from their perspective to cover it.
    Look, dont be so ridiculous. Of course there are many jobs where you cannot have a conspicious tattoo on display.

Executive roles in many corporate organisations. air stewarts/hostesses, newsreaders / presenters, consultants, lots of customer facing roles in banking and finance..etc

Just because you can't have it on display, doesn't mean you won't progress in a career because you have one though. Most men I know where full sleeved shirts in work so you wouldn't necessarily see any tattoo that they have on their arm during the working day. They're not deliberately hiding it as such but it never becomes an issue because the "uniform" of work covers it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Some of my friends have tattoos

Damn women having control over their own bodies. Who do they think they are?! Give her an aul slap if she doesn't obey you, sure. That'll learn her.

How did she even get out of the kitchen in the first place to get to the tattoo parlour? :rolleyes:

She got it years before she met me. She wouldn’t get one now. In the same way as she might dye her hair purple, get her face pierced or whatever, I’m perfectly within my rights to decide what I find to be ugly. If she wants to do stupid things like that, she can make a bed for herself on the couch. If roles were reversed, I’d accept the same. She told me I was getting fat. I was. I sorted it out and did what I needed to so she wouldn’t lose physical attraction as a consequence. Fair is fair.

As for tattoos, might be fine for pornstars but most people getting tattooed would look better if they had a haircut and dressed like adults instead of trying to look like a scumbag or a whore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're certainly going for the shock factor there, Jay. So, you think it appropriate for you to dictate to your wife what length she cuts her hair? All I can say is, wow.

Advertisement