Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance - Diagnosis during waiting period -

• 30-07-2018 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

I'm currently halfway through the 6 month waiting period for VHI.

I must get tested for hemochromatosis by my GP.

If I have it, will I be covered for any treatment after the waiting period or will it be classed as a pre-existing condition where I'll have to wait 5 years for cover.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Pre-existing, but discuss it with your insurer and GP.
    Implications are that you will have to pay 5 years of premium before you get cover for this as you highlighted. Check your policy to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thought preexisting was deemed to mean previously diagnosed...

Sure any of us could have any number of ailments unknown at time of taking out a policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/waiting-periods/new-customer-waiting-periods

a pre-existing condition is defined as: "Pre-existing condition” means an ailment, illness or condition, where, on the basis of medical advice, the signs or symptoms of that ailment, illness or condition existed at any time in the period of 6 months ending on the day on which the person became insured under the contract."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

LostArt wrote: »
    https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/waiting-periods/new-customer-waiting-periods

a pre-existing condition is defined as: "Pre-existing condition” means an ailment, illness or condition, where, on the basis of medical advice, the signs or symptoms of that ailment, illness or condition existed at any time in the period of 6 months ending on the day on which the person became insured under the contract."

Exactly.

The question will be asked, is it reasonable to say this person had the illness (undiagnosed perhaps) at any stage during the 6 months prior to getting insured? If yes, then you serve a 5 year waiting period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Good to know...

• Advertisement
Advertisement