Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kallo low salt stock cubes

Options
  • 30-07-2018 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭

For anyone that’s used these, would you recommend them or are they a poor substitute for regular stock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Kallo are a well-respected brand. I've not specifically used the low-salt version though. Their normal stocks are grand so I'd imagine these would be as good as any other low-salt cube, if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I think they are a very good substitute but only use the organic low sodium ones.

Getting good quality regular stock in Ireland is not easy unless you make it yourself which is easy but time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Yeah, I suppose I should have said regular stock cubes/pots as we usually use knorr stock pots. Not quite the same.

I did try and make my own chicken stock a few years ago but it didn’t turn out right. Any recipes would also be greatfully received and I might try again. Although time is at a premium with a 7 month old who is the reason for the low sodium requirement in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The conventional Kallo beef stock cubes are slightly lower salt to begin with (0.8g per 100ml prepared vs 0.85g for Knorr stock pots and 0.95g for Oxo); never tried the ultra low salt versions though. One of the best choices when making your own isn't an option.

Advertisement