Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find a Builder?

Options
  • 30-07-2018 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I'm want to do some renovation work to my new home. But I don't know what to ask/look for when hiring a Builder (never hired anyone like this before). Heard some horror stores about people ending up with cowboy builder.... what would you recommend looking for?....just looking for advice, anything you can think of.

Comments

Ask your friends / family / neighbours for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Agree with this 100%. You need recommendations from people you trust. Then go & see previous work that the builder has done.
    I have had a great experience with a builder in the past but an absolutely terrible one with a bathroom fitter (also recommended by someone). You really need to be careful & very thorough in your investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're stuck, have a drive around any suburban areas at the moment and you'll see small works going on everywhere. Take note of the names and see if you can find examples of their past work.

If the builder puts up hoarding around the site and hangs their name on it, then they're probably insured and qualified at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

seamus wrote: »
    If you're stuck, have a drive around any suburban areas at the moment and you'll see small works going on everywhere. Take note of the names and see if you can find examples of their past work.

If the builder puts up hoarding around the site and hangs their name on it, then they're probably insured and qualified at least.

Thats good advice. I know a builder who went into an estatexin Lucan to do an attic conversion and kitchen extension in 2012. Fourteen jobs later he is still in the estate. One good reference after another from the neighbours got him all the work he wanted. No rubbish from him. Just checked the requirements, spoke with the architect where one was used and got on with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

seamus wrote: »
    qualified at least.

Just to clarify, there’s currently no qualification required to be a builder/contractor.

The closest thing could be the CIRI register. If a builder has gone to the trouble and expense of registering on that, there’s a good chance he is by the book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement