Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel trapped in job

Options
  • 30-07-2018 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Originally posted to PI, would be better here though:

Some history on my situation first:

I've been working in the same multinational IT company for about 20 years, ever since I finished college. I don't have a very senior role, but up until recently I was happy enough with my job. The salary is decent, mostly because of how long I've been there though.

About 2 years ago my department was moved to another country, and bit by bit most of my colleagues started to be made redundant. Eventually it happened to me too, and I was offered a very generous payment (1.5 years' salary), and 3 months garden leave.

I spent about 8 weeks job hunting during this time, and doing a small number of interviews. I realised at this time that getting a job in my field would take way longer than I thought, and I would most likely take a large paycut.
    I saw an opening in my old company for a job that I could probably do, but was far from ideal. I panicked though, went for an interview, and got the job.

Now it's almost 2 years on. I am not keen on the job. The work itself seems mostly pointless to me, but the quotas/ targets we have to achieve are what I really dislike. I would love to do something else, but my brief period between jobs is really making me think twice. I would be crazy to walk away from such a big severance pay (should it be offered again), and the drop in salary would mean paying rent and bills would be a huge struggle.

I'm sure I'm not the first to be in this situation. Are there others who have been there and done something to get out of it?

Advertisement