Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headlight bulbs. 55w v100w

• 30-07-2018 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I need new bulbs on my 09 traffic van. Was going to upgrade to halogen bright white bulbs. They come in 55w and 100w . I do a lot of country road driving so the 100w would be great but friends tell me they are too bright for city driving.
    Any advice or experience anyone?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Visconti wrote: »
    I need new bulbs on my 09 traffic van. Was going to upgrade to halogen bright white bulbs. They come in 55w and 100w . I do a lot of country road driving so the 100w would be great but friends tell me they are too bright for city driving.
    Thanks

You may also damage the wiring if you fit high wattage bulbs without fitting a relay, they are nearly twice the draw of 55w x 2 =110 instead of 200w.
    I suggest buying Good quality bulbs like Osram Nighbreakers or Philips Xtreme vision for better night lighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

I used them in the past on various cars but always used a relay. And what I've seen of Renault wiring I would certainly use a relay.
    I also came across cars where the headlight switch gave up after a while because there was no relay fitted .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

As well as a relay you'd want to look at the current going through the wires. Too much current for the rating of the wire = Too much heat = fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Visconti wrote: »
    Thanks

2 things, 100w's are illegal for normal road driving, they are only for off road driving, and 2) the heat will damage the wires and plastic wire spade holder so if you have to replace/change the bulbs, you will be left with crumbling plastic and bare contacts!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Ok good advice thanks everyone. Should i just stick to old-fashioned filament bulbs or go with halogen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

All bulbs are filament, there are HID which are an Arc between two electrodes.
    My advice stands, Nightbreakers or Xtreme vision, They are both road legal bulbs 55w but put out a lot more light than a standard bulb.

Advertisement