Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Pregnant - Need GP recommendations?

Options
  • 30-07-2018 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

We were lucky enough to get that Big Fat Positive result and it's very much a case of.... WHAT NOW. (especially as it was the first month we tried!!)
    Feeling quite overwhelmed even though this is very much wanted. I just didn't expect it to all work out straight from the get go!

We have been living in Dublin for over 10 years but are from down the country.
    We do not have any GP.
    I got sick once about 7 years ago and went to Primacare in Dundrum, a drop in medical centre for antibiotics. That doctor is no longer there.

This is the first time I have been pregnant and am looking for recommendations on a GP please.
    We are based in Booterstown / Blackrock area of south Dublin and will be opting to go public.
    Do I even need a GP? Or can I make an appointment directly with NMH?
    Although I am looking at the midwifery led scheme / Domino scheme and it appears every second check up is with a GP?
    Also, is the initial appointment free of charge?

Then, may I ask what the initial appointment covers?
    I'm assuming they check your urine for hcg and confirm pregnancy, blood test? Weight / blood pressure? I know the internet is awash with info and we have A LOT of reading / researching to do.

Don't have anyone close to me who has had a baby really so am starting from scratch.

Any info very much appreciated and welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Congratulations!

I don't know of a GP in that area to recommend, but yes you're right that you can refer yourself to a maternity hospital without GP confirming the pregnancy.

Whether with Domino scheme or not, combined care is the system whereby you attend both your GP and the hospital/midwife clinic. I signed up to this scheme during my first appointment with the GP, so I'm not sure how you sign up otherwise. As a new patient at a practice I imagine they'd want to have you in for a consultation first.

The first visit is supposed to be free but my practice charge for it; I'm sure I can challenge this but I was told before I went in that I'd be charged so I suppose I don't have much case to argue

At the first GP appointment they will confirm the pregnancy (although I've heard others say that the doctor took their word for it as the shop bought tests are usually more sensitive than the ones the GP uses). They'll check BP, urine, weight and confirm any existing medical conditions.

Once you register with a maternity hospital they will write to you with a date for your booking appointment where they'll go through family history, medical history etc. They'll then tell you when to go to your GP and when to come back to them (hospital or midwife clinic)

Best of luck and enjoy this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Do not underestimate how many GP visits you will be making over the next few years. The easiest ones are while pregnant, but before long you'll be ferrying in a newborn, an infant, and then a toddler! Based on this, I would pick a few practices close by which are easy to get to, and choose a GP who is good with kids. The maternity appointments are easy for any GP to Do- it's just a urine check, blood pressure, listening to baby's heartbeat and maybe the odd blood test. But dealing with difficult babies and young children is a much more difficult skill for a GP to master! So think long-term and find a good FAMILY GP in your area. The pregnancy stuff is straightforward enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Not everyone makes a lot of GP visits. Our old practice closed overnight and I had to take whatever practice was taking on new patients. I can count on one hand the number of times my two have been in with one of ten GPs on one hand.
    OP I self referred to Holles Street for the second and third pregnancy. I knew I wanted to go private and have all appointments in Holles Street so I didn't bother going the GP route for maternity care at all.
    On my first I went to the GP because I assumed you had to. I wasn't charged, the GP didn't do a pregnancy test, he took me at my word that I had a positive test at home, or check blood pressure, he just gave me a letter for Holles Street. I had all bloods and blood pressure checks and so on in Holles Street itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’ve on my third time going public with NMH. First time I went to the GP very early on, she referred me to the hospital. Then my visits were split between her and the hospital.

Since then you can self refer online on the NMH website so that’s what I’ve done for this and my last pregnancy. I still made a GP appointment for around 7 weeks last time but this time didn’t make it to my GP until about 18 weeks. They have a practise midwife now who I see instead which is perfect. My booking appointment with the hospital was at 13 weeks and I’m not back in the hospital for another two week when I’ll be 26 weeks. That’s quite a long gap if you were concerned about something (minor!) so it is handy to have the option of seeing the GP in between hospital visits.

My GP has always charged for my first visit which I do question in my head but I’m happy with the practise so don’t argue it. They also take kids on the under 6 scheme so I’ve been able to register with them, the fact they thankfully rarely are ever at the doctor aside! I’ve never done a pregnancy test with my GP, they’ve always taken my word for it but they check urine, blood pressure etc and I’ve found the midwife brilliant for discussing concerns etc I might have, she has also been a huge support with breastfeeding. Also they are doing the whooping cough vaccine for me.

My GP is in churchtown so I’m afraid I can’t recommend locally but ask around, maybe on the south dublin board too?

Just on the practice nurse thing, you are entitled to see a GP for every maternity related appointment,, in case anyone doesn't know! I've heard of some practices trying to say that under the scheme the practice nurse deals with antenatal appointments but that is untrue. I know many are happy to see a nurse but you are within your rights to request a GP for every appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

lazygal wrote: »
    Just on the practice nurse thing, you are entitled to see a GP for every maternity related appointment,, in case anyone doesn't know! I've heard of some practices trying to say that under the scheme the practice nurse deals with antenatal appointments but that is untrue. I know many are happy to see a nurse but you are within your rights to request a GP for every appointment.

Yes I was given the option and preferred to see the midwife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

Get yourself organised with GP asap. If your going public you will have good few visits with GP. I went private so didn't really need many but you practically live in GP surgery after baby is born with all the check ups + vaccaniactions! So very important who ever you go with has a GP practice with nurse to do jabs etc. Also make sure they accept free under 6 card so baby can be added automatically after they are born. We have bern lucky our little boy very healthy but in first year as I mentioned there are a lots of vaccaniactions.

GPs are also supposed to do vaccinations if you request. My last practice was small and had no nurse, so GP did everything.

Advertisement