Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infallibility?

• 30-07-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think the pope actually, really, honestly believes he’s infallible?

What goes through his mind when he stands on an upturned plug, for example?

Catholicism utterly baffles me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Gulp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only in matters of doctrine where he speaks ex-cathedra.

But no, I don't believe he is or indeed stands on plugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,254 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I used to think I wasn't infallible but it turns out I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

My understanding is that his infallibility pertains to Catholic Doctrine.

Insofar that whatever he proclaims in relation to doctrine, becomes doctrine.

It doesn't mean that if you ask him what the capital of Outer Mongolia is, he has to know the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Does anyone think the pope actually, really, honestly believes he’s infallible?

Catholicism utterly baffles me.

"Ow!", or something to that effect.

The Pope, as you may already know and are just doing a jokey thread, is only infallible on matters of doctrine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Papal infallibility only applies in certain situations. It is perfectly possible to be a devout Catholic and think the pope is usually wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

If he was forced to say, at gun point, "I am not infallible" and given he is infallible and everything he says must be true then he will lose his infallibility. I think.

Apparently he was asked in relation to his ability to tell porkies. And he replied

"I like big butts and I cannot lie"

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I can't sincerely believe anyone gets to a high level in that organisation without being implicated in the nonsense it is. I'd bet my house on the whole bloody thing being a known scam from, say, Cardinal up.

benjamin d wrote: »
    I can't sincerely believe anyone gets to a high level in that organisation without being implicated in the nonsense it is. I'd bet my house on the whole bloody thing being a known scam from, say, Cardinal up.

Ya wha' Gay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I really love how 21st century Ireland is getting out of the whole Catholic Church thing. It's cool. I'd like to see some more action from the church of Ireland crowd too. A very quiet bunch. But I really worry about why people need to post stuff about it. Is it some kind of insecurity throwback? If you don't care about religion, why worry about the Popes infallibility thing. Who gives a fook. Unless the OP is religious and has an issue with the Pope and ****. Otherwise, whats the fooking point of threads like this.

I abandoned religion a long time ago. I have no problem with those who practice it unless they try to shove it down my throat on a face to face basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The same as anyone else, I would imagine - a mixture of profanity, blasphemy and references to illegal sexual practices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I believe the popes have only spoken ex cathedra twice since it became canon law. The last time was regarding the Virgin Mary in the 60's so there's very little chance that this pope will.

Edit: both times were.

Advertisement