Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR wired with ten cores?

Options
  • 30-07-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question. I've three points for PIR sensors in the house. Each one has a six core and a four core running back to the panel. What's the reason for needing so many cores?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ddonn

Effects wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I've three points for PIR sensors in the house. Each one has a six core and a four core running back to the panel. What's the reason for needing so many cores?

Non point ID PIR sensors need 6 cores; 2 for 12v, 2 for tamper circuit & 2 for alarm circuit. My guess would be the 4 core is used to return tamper and alarm circuit back to panel to loop with other points.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

6 cores would be the max. Most installers would use 4 cores with duel eol resistors.
    Probably an electrician just making sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

As most electricians would say when it comes to cores..

Better be looking at them than for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Thanks for the replies. I had planned to use one of the four cores for an internal sounder in the hall position alongside a PIR.
    It is better to be looking at cables but I ended up having to cut out all the cables at the windows as they plasterers pulled them out of position!
    Ended up getting wireless for those, at a higher price!

Advertisement