Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My workplace's environment is not healthy?

Options
  • 31-07-2018 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have just started my work recently and I have noticed that the environment in my workplace is not healthy. I can feel a certain tension between some of my co-workers. It was never hard to figure out since day one. I know it’s not my thing to get into, it’s just kind of disturbing most of the time. I love my work, however, it’s very tempting to leave sometimes and go somewhere else because of the negative environment. I’m not used to that kind of surrounding; it’s a foreign to me. I often get affected since I spend most of my time there. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there a member of management there who you could discuss it with? Maybe see if they can move you to a different desk, even just something so you're not in the "sphere" of their tension?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree with Seamus. Try to move to a different desk.

You spend most of your life working, so you shouldn't be somewhere you feel unhappy or uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sotense101

seamus wrote: »
    Is there a member of management there who you could discuss it with? Maybe see if they can move you to a different desk, even just something so you're not in the "sphere" of their tension?
    Perhaps I could the boss about it. I'll try to talk to him regarding that. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sotense101

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I agree with Seamus. Try to move to a different desk.

You spend most of your life working, so you shouldn't be somewhere you feel unhappy or uncomfortable.
    So glad you get my point. I don't wanna be stuck in a negative place coz it's making me unproductive. I'll try to talk to the boss with regards to it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

sotense101 wrote: »
    I have just started my work recently and I have noticed that the environment in my workplace is not healthy. I can feel a certain tension between some of my co-workers. It was never hard to figure out since day one. I know it’s not my thing to get into, it’s just kind of disturbing most of the time. I love my work, however, it’s very tempting to leave sometimes and go somewhere else because of the negative environment. I’m not used to that kind of surrounding; it’s a foreign to me. I often get affected since I spend most of my time there. What should I do?

You need to learn coping mechanisms to deal with conflict in the workplace and get to a place in your head where the mood and behaviour of others has a limited impact on you.
    As for your current place of employment if there is an issue between co-workers and you try to resolve it you likely will only get drawen into the drama.
    If you are influenced by the atmosphere of your work place to such an extent that is has an actual impact on you, your best option is to start looking for a new position and to vet the new position by either meeting them or by asking people you know about the business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement