Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harley davidson

Options
  • 31-07-2018 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi. New to board.ie so not sure how this Is going to go. Basically i just got my full motor bike licence. I only got my licence because I love the Harley davidson bike v-rod/ night rod. I purchased a Suzuki bandit just to get my A licence and now I want to sell and purchase a Harley. Problem Is, everyone I talked to says stay away from them for loads of reasons. I have never rode a Harley so maybe i should test ride one first before I make my mind up. Really have my heart set on one but I want to hear from anyone who has/had a Harley especially v-rod for advice. Thank you. James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Absolutely test ride anything before making your mind up. Just because you love the look of them does not mean you will love the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Luceyj

curiousb wrote: »
    Absolutely test ride anything before making your mind up. Just because you love the look of them does not mean you will love the ride.

Ya. Definitely. Be madness not to. Afraid of being disappointed do. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Did anyone give you a reason to stay away from them or was it hearsay ? I've had a couple and loved them. Go test drive one. They're different. You buy a Harley with your heart and a BMW GS with your head :)

I understand but you would be even more disappointed if you bought it and then found out you didn't like how it rode!

Edit: I'm a BMW GS rider and I had a quick spin on one a few years ago and quite liked it. Big turning circle though, but that's par for the course...

D3V!L wrote: »
    Did anyone give you a reason to stay away from them or was it hearsay ? I've had a couple and loved them. Go test drive one. They're different. You buy a Harley with your heart and a BMW GS with your head :)
    Basically it's a comfort thing. More suited to open road than twists and turns of irish country side. To be fair anyone who has given me advice has been on one . I know Harley davidson in Dublin will go give me a test drive before I go with my heart🀗

• Advertisement

Luceyj wrote: »
    Basically it's a comfort thing. More suited to open road than twists and turns of irish country side. To be fair anyone who has given me advice has been on one . I know Harley davidson in Dublin will go give me a test drive before I go with my heart��

Very true. I sold my Street Glide because it basically couldn't be driven in the rain. They fish tail around because of the length and weight of them.

Oh and if you want a HD buy from Belfast or Waterford. ;)

I understand but you would be even more disappointed if you bought it and then found out you didn't like how it rode!

Edit: I'm a BMW GS rider and I had a quick spin on one a few years ago and quite liked it. Big turning circle though, but that's par for the course...
    Most lads are persuading me to go BMW Transalp. Adventure style. If I don't go Harley I think that's the route i will go. Might back off a while and do more research.
    Regards James.

I love the adventure style bikes as the higher seat gives you great visibility around you in the traffic, also easy on the back with the upright positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Most lads are persuading me to go BMW Transalp. Adventure style. If I don't go Harley I think that's the route i will go. Might back off a while and do more research.
    Regards James.

Buy what you want. I always wanted a vmax and they all told me i was mad they xant go round corners etc. Bought one anyway and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....take a chair....

After a lot, and I mean a lot, of BMW's, I bought a H-D Road King in 2007, as short-term thing. With small kids etc, thought I'd keep it 2 or 3 years and go back on a BeeEmm or something.

11+year later, I still have it, and I love it. I still like BeeEmm's mind, and my SO has one, but I prefer the H-D.

Some myths to bust:
    • Reliability: in 11 years, and now at 50k kms, outside of normal servicing (less than €200/yr), I have had had 2 repairs: one cost €40, one cost €120 ish(new braided hoses to front). It has been a model of reliability above that to what I had before....part of this is simplicity. No radiators, coolant, no tappets, no chain or sprockets or shaft. A lot of the components are known to the Jap bike fraternity: Showa forks and shocks, Mikuni fuel injection, and I think - but I'm not 100% sure as it's never raised it's head, but I think the reg/rectifier is Nippondenso. I've never had anything rattle or fall off. Ever.
    • Handling; in common with ALL bikes, the bike is usually better than the pilot. Yes it has limits, but you need to be pushing to get there. Certainly I have never found it a limiting factor, but you do work with what you've got. I freely admit I'd be useless on a Fireblade.
    • Brakes: it has them. Two discs to front, one to rear. I've never found them limiting either, and remember, with a big V-Twin you're inclined to use engine braking a lot more.
    • ...because someone mentioned it above: turning circle. That's in your head: yes it's long, and heavy and.........that's irrelevant. Its about technique. Lots of videos on YT will show you why. My example is here: https://youtu.be/W0NpE2Ax7WE
      I'm also not precious about it, and have dropped it twice. The Yaris came off much worse........
    • comfort. The std seat can be limiting if you do a lot of miles, and the pillion is only good for small derrieres......but an Airhawk seat will sort it for $117. I have the removeable screen on mine, and it transforms the bike.
    • performance. I've no idea what BHP it has. I do know it cruises at motorway speeds very easily, but even more relevant, will bumble along on slower roads in 4th gear with zero complaints. And at the risk of a bunch of jokes, it goes slowly, very easily. By this I mean in traffic, filtering, working around local urban, farming traffic, and cyclists, it's a cinch. It won't win any high speed awards, but it is very torquey, and accelerates very very well.
    • it is immeasurably higher in quality in terms of chrome and paint than any of my BeeEmms ever were, or even the Deauvilles we run as Blood Bikes. The caveat here is that after markert accessories are usually the weak point. Factory stuff seems to be very good, albeit expensive.
    • economy. Varies, from 45mpg - 55mpg+ depending on what you're doing on it.

Does all the above me a H-D Fanboy ? - Fan, yes, but I'm not blind to the values of others: I'm also considering a new bike atmo, a Honda - but I'll park it beside the RK, not replace it. They both have their strengths.

I do a lot of riding, all year round, and would am the only guy amongst my peers not on Jap/German and I think you'll find I never get left behind.

Happy to show you mine if you like. Go and look and try them. And if H-D is a bit rich for your budget, I'd recommend a Honda Shadow in 600/750/1100 or a Yamaha Dragstar too. They're all good bikes.

EDIT Forgot: cleaning it is a pita. :) I'm kinda lazy with it that way tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I love the adventure style bikes as the higher seat gives you great visibility around you in the traffic, also easy on the back with the upright positioning.

Interesting. I have a very bad lower back and that's another reason i was told consider adventure style as apposed to cruiser.Comfort and good on back with adventure style.

Very true. I sold my Street Glide because it basically couldn't be driven in the rain. They fish tail around because of the length and weight of them.

Rain, seriously ??
    Mine spends more time in the rain than anywhere else.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I sit completely upright on my RK, and my legs at 90 degrees, most comfy. I couldn't do the feet forward thing, I find that odd.

Ode To The Motorist

Did anyone give you a reason to stay away from them or was it hearsay ? I've had a couple and loved them. Go test drive one. They're different. You buy a Harley with your heart and a BMW GS with your head wallet :)

FTFY :) :P

Ode To The Motorist

Bike I have my eye on his in Dublin . Has Dublin a reputation or should I not ask😑

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Bike I have my eye on his in Dublin . Has Dublin a reputation or should I not ask😑

There is a long thread about them here. Worth a read

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm in the buy what your heart is set on club too. But definitely take one for a test ride.
    Buy what you want. I always wanted a vmax and they all told me i was mad they xant go round corners etc. Bought one anyway and love it

My dad had one for a while, he said he said he was going to get a t-shirt saying "Yes, I know it doesn't corner, now fúck off" :D

galwaytt wrote: »
    .....take a chair....

After a lot, and I mean a lot, of BMW's, I bought a H-D Road King in 2007, as short-term thing. With small kids etc, thought I'd keep it 2 or 3 years and go back on a BeeEmm or something.

11+year later, I still have it, and I love it. I still like BeeEmm's mind, and my SO has one, but I prefer the H-D.

Some myths to bust:
    • Reliability: in 11 years, and now at 50k kms, outside of normal servicing (less than €200/yr), I have had had 2 repairs: one cost €40, one cost €120 ish(new braided hoses to front). It has been a model of reliability above that to what I had before....part of this is simplicity. No radiators, coolant, no tappets, no chain or sprockets or shaft. A lot of the components are known to the Jap bike fraternity: Showa forks and shocks, Mikuni fuel injection, and I think - but I'm not 100% sure as it's never raised it's head, but I think the reg/rectifier is Nippondenso. I've never had anything rattle or fall off. Ever.
    • Handling; in common with ALL bikes, the bike is usually better than the pilot. Yes it has limits, but you need to be pushing to get there. Certainly I have never found it a limiting factor, but you do work with what you've got. I freely admit I'd be useless on a Fireblade.
    • Brakes: it has them. Two discs to front, one to rear. I've never found them limiting either, and remember, with a big V-Twin you're inclined to use engine braking a lot more.
    • ...because someone mentioned it above: turning circle. That's in your head: yes it's long, and heavy and.........that's irrelevant. Its about technique. Lots of videos on YT will show you why. My example is here: https://youtu.be/W0NpE2Ax7WE
      I'm also not precious about it, and have dropped it twice. The Yaris came off much worse........
    • comfort. The std seat can be limiting if you do a lot of miles, and the pillion is only good for small derrieres......but an Airhawk seat will sort it for $117. I have the removeable screen on mine, and it transforms the bike.
    • performance. I've no idea what BHP it has. I do know it cruises at motorway speeds very easily, but even more relevant, will bumble along on slower roads in 4th gear with zero complaints. And at the risk of a bunch of jokes, it goes slowly, very easily. By this I mean in traffic, filtering, working around local urban, farming traffic, and cyclists, it's a cinch. It won't win any high speed awards, but it is very torquey, and accelerates very very well.
    • it is immeasurably higher in quality in terms of chrome and paint than any of my BeeEmms ever were, or even the Deauvilles we run as Blood Bikes. The caveat here is that after markert accessories are usually the weak point. Factory stuff seems to be very good, albeit expensive.
    • economy. Varies, from 45mpg - 55mpg+ depending on what you're doing on it.

Does all the above me a H-D Fanboy ? - Fan, yes, but I'm not blind to the values of others: I'm also considering a new bike atmo, a Honda - but I'll park it beside the RK, not replace it. They both have their strengths.

I do a lot of riding, all year round, and would am the only guy amongst my peers not on Jap/German and I think you'll find I never get left behind.

Happy to show you mine if you like. Go and look and try them. And if H-D is a bit rich for your budget, I'd recommend a Honda Shadow in 600/750/1100 or a Yamaha Dragstar too. They're all good bikes.

EDIT Forgot: cleaning it is a pita. :) I'm kinda lazy with it that way tbh.

A lot of reading above. Thanks for info. Read it at work tonight. In over my head now. I see HARLEYS as like going out with a cracking bird, great to look at but could be a thundering bitch to live with!!

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm in the buy what your heart is set on club too. But definitely take one for a test ride.

My dad had one for a while, he said he said he was going to get a t-shirt saying "Yes, I know it doesn't corner, now fúck off" :D

😂😂😂

Excellent😀

• Advertisement

A lot of reading above. Thanks for info. Read it at work tonight. In over my head now. I see HARLEYS BMWas like going out with a cracking bird, great to look at but could be a thundering bitch to live with!!

FTFY :) :P

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

HD's were very much victim to the 'mid-life crisis' market, and ended up being largely connected with ageing bikers, dentists and accountants and so on.

They're also stupidly overpriced.

The great irony of course is that the same can be said about BMW GS's, though they tend to wear more fluorescent gear and massive flip-up helmets.

Personally, I've loved Harley's since I was a small kid. I grew up around an awful lot of bikers, most of whom were on larger cruisers. They're also a bloody fantastic drive if you like the sitting position, which I do. They're not fast on corners, but they're not supposed to be.

It's absolutely worth riding one, and never giving a toss what anyone else thinks. Ride what you enjoy is the best way to go.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    HD's were very much victim to the 'mid-life crisis' market, and ended up being largely connected with ageing bikers, dentists and accountants and so on.

They're also stupidly overpriced.

The plus side of the former situation is that there's loads around, used, to buy, and often with low mileage.

The latter point is somewhat true, but the plus side of it is they don't collapse in value either. I'd never spent as much as I did on any bike, until I got mine, but after 11 years it's turned out to be a cheap bike to own now.

Can't win 'em all - buy what you like, the rest is all stuff'n'nonsense.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No matter which bike you end up buying get a test ride. There are different styles of Harley so if one is uncomfortable try a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

It's your money and decision at the end of the day...I have had various styles of bikes, they all handle,stop go, and have different comfort....I love them all.....don't be pressured to go with the pack....I never had a real HD ,did have an Aermacci 125...not to say I won't get one some day but....go with your heart.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

You could always hold out for their new adventure bike. Its a personal thing but I don't like that headlight.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/harley-pan-america-unveiled/

457195.jpg

It's your money and decision at the end of the day...I have had various styles of bikes, they all handle,stop go, and have different comfort....I love them all.....don't be pressured to go with the pack....I never had a real HD ,did have an Aermacci 125...not to say I won't get one some day but....go with your heart.....:)

Only reason I did IBT and got full licence was because of my obsession with HD . Worse scenario, sell it and think again but I know won't once I get my hands on oneðŸðŸ

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only reason I did IBT and got full licence was because of my obsession with HD . Worse scenario, sell it and think again but I know won't once I get my hands on oneðŸðŸ

Take a long test ride, it's cheaper than buying and regretting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Del2005 wrote: »
    Take a long test ride, it's cheaper than buying and regretting.

This goes for every bike...not just HD's...;)

Advertisement