Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car suggestions

• 31-07-2018 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hey,

Another post on suggesting a car, sorry about that! Generally seems to be good advice here though.

So, I have a budget of about 13-14k. I have a round trip, daily commute, of about 35km - all motorway. This car would also be used as the main car for the odd long trip at weekends. I don't have kids, but that may be coming in the next year or 2 so I'm a bit unsure on space requirements.

What I would like to find is, comfort, decent reliability and a decent driving experience. I'm coming from a 07 1.4 petrol Golf so I've had enough of that.

My commute doesn't really warrant it, but so far I've seen very little petrol cars that would suit, so if kind of had a look at the below diesels (maybe i'm mad to consider diesel). Happy to consider petrol but I'm just not seeing much there in my price range.

13/14 Seat Leon FR 2.0 D - maybe too small?
    13/14 Volvo S60 2.0 D - not sure what the best trim would be for some extras or what they are like.
    14/15 Opel Insignia 2.0 D - I've heard mixed reviews, post 2014 apparently they are OK reliability wise. There does seem to be an awful lot of them on the road.
    13/14 VW Passat 2.0 D - Would like to stretch for the newer model in 2015 but the budget probably only gets me a bad example of one if even. Not sure what they are like.
    13 BMW 320/318 D - Again, would like to stretch the budget, but maybe only able to get a bad example of one of these.

I'd be a cash buyer so hopefully that means I can get an OK deal, most likely wont be looking to trade in as I don't think it will do much for me.

Appreciate any advice/suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-2013-132-1-8tfsi-auto-finance-from-71/18871529
    In budget. Should have the comfort, reliability and driving experience you want and it's petrol. Nice colour too in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Nice car alright, thanks for the suggestion.

Mileage is a little high and I preferably would like to go for a manual, not a deal breaker tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

That's a lovely passat cc nice colour and spec leon fr is a handsome car and good space i wud be giving an insignia a miss ther is lots on the roads cos they are very cheap second hand and in my opinion truly awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Are you happy with the size of the Golf or looking for something bigger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

BGozIE wrote: »
    Hey,

Another post on suggesting a car, sorry about that! Generally seems to be good advice here though.

So, I have a budget of about 13-14k. I have a round trip, daily commute, of about 35km - all motorway. This car would also be used as the main car for the odd long trip at weekends. I don't have kids, but that may be coming in the next year or 2 so I'm a bit unsure on space requirements.

What I would like to find is, comfort, decent reliability and a decent driving experience. I'm coming from a 07 1.4 petrol Golf so I've had enough of that.

My commute doesn't really warrant it, but so far I've seen very little petrol cars that would suit, so if kind of had a look at the below diesels (maybe i'm mad to consider diesel). Happy to consider petrol but I'm just not seeing much there in my price range.

13/14 Seat Leon FR 2.0 D - maybe too small?
    13/14 Volvo S60 2.0 D - not sure what the best trim would be for some extras or what they are like.
    14/15 Opel Insignia 2.0 D - I've heard mixed reviews, post 2014 apparently they are OK reliability wise. There does seem to be an awful lot of them on the road.
    13/14 VW Passat 2.0 D - Would like to stretch for the newer model in 2015 but the budget probably only gets me a bad example of one if even. Not sure what they are like.
    13 BMW 320/318 D - Again, would like to stretch the budget, but maybe only able to get a bad example of one of these.

I'd be a cash buyer so hopefully that means I can get an OK deal, most likely wont be looking to trade in as I don't think it will do much for me.

Appreciate any advice/suggestions!

Hyundai i40? I got a 151 for 16000 so you might have to look for a 141-142. Great car. Really reliable and fuel consumption is good.

Really if you are happy with the Golf and the size. Which to be honest if you don't have kids is probably perfect, then it might be worth taking the step up to the next level and look at Audi A3 Best for these cars to go to UK and get import as spec is a lot better.

Lexus CT200H, really nice car and also moving to a hybrid which would be better for your commute. https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/ct200h/used-2014-141-lexus-ct200h-advance-au-dublin-fpa-300019940755163

Does depend if you want to stay in the Golf size

Personally I wouldn't touch a diesel with your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shirazhyder84

I will second buying from UK/NI if you have cash. I bought a 2012 VW CC last year from UK (bought from a main Vw dealer) and saved significant amount as compared to buying the same spec’d cc here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

£12,000 would get you a lexus is300h with a touch over 100,000 miles in the uk

Vrt is around €2k normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Anyone else think I'm mad to consider a diesel? To be honest I don't see an awful lot of choice outside of one.
    bazz26 wrote: »

Lovely car, I didnt really think I was spending enough for travelling to Enland in particular, but I'll definitely consider NI. Had a browse around and there is definitely cars in my budget. Need to do a bit of research on VRT for them. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Philb76 wrote: »
    That's a lovely passat cc nice colour and spec leon fr is a handsome car and good space i wud be giving an insignia a miss ther is lots on the roads cos they are very cheap second hand and in my opinion truly awful

Thanks for the input. I do like the Leon FR a lot. It could be leading the way, I just need to consider space.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Are you happy with the size of the Golf or looking for something bigger?

A bit undecided on that, don't need the space now but I probably will in the next few years, I'll most likely be keeping the new car atleast 3 years. So space could become an issue.
    Hyundai i40? I got a 151 for 16000 so you might have to look for a 141-142. Great car. Really reliable and fuel consumption is good.

Nice looking car, hadn't actually considered it as I was looking at slightly higher class cars, but they are nice. Ill add it to the list, thanks for the suggestion!
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Really if you are happy with the Golf and the size. Which to be honest if you don't have kids is probably perfect, then it might be worth taking the step up to the next level and look at Audi A3 Best for these cars to go to UK and get import as spec is a lot better.

Lexus CT200H, really nice car and also moving to a hybrid which would be better for your commute. https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/ct200h/used-2014-141-lexus-ct200h-advance-au-dublin-fpa-300019940755163

Does depend if you want to stay in the Golf size

Personally I wouldn't touch a diesel with your commute.

Yeah I need to decide regarding the size. I do like the A3, I think in my budget it would be a diesel tho? I would consider staying in the same size range (compact HB) if I can get a nice model/spec Leon or possible A3. I dont see any value in the newer Golfs to be honest.

Not a huge fan of the lexus CT200H, my mate has an automatic one and I wasn't a massive fan of the drive or the interior (may have been due to it being auto). They are definitely a nice car, but I think my budget would be picking me up a fairly low end one.

Appreciate the point regarding diesel, very unsure myself - hard to justify needing one.
    I will second buying from UK/NI if you have cash. I bought a 2012 VW CC last year from UK (bought from a main Vw dealer) and saved significant amount as compared to buying the same spec’d cc here.

I am definetly considering it. The 2013 CC posted above is coming in around 2,500 VRT. Definitely a saving on what they cost here.
    £12,000 would get you a lexus is300h with a touch over 100,000 miles in the uk

Vrt is around €2k normally

Lovely cars, not a massive fan of the interior on most of the lexus's but that is lovely. Thanks for the suggestion, definetly one to consider. May be better of trying to extend the budget if I were to go for one though.

• Advertisement

The advantage of the Lexus is the hybrid. So you are getting better MPG than a straight petrol. Don't ask what you MPG will be diesel because due your driving it will be poor.

Your most economical car will be a hybrid. Lexus are the premium hybrid in your price range.

Outside that is then the straight petrol. A lack of them in Ireland because everyone buys a daysel....but that is changing and petrol is becoming more & more popular by the day.

The A3 really is a beautiful car and a step up from the Golf, a lovely car to drive. I had a 1.6 petrol many years ago. If you are looking for decent one I would start with UK importers. The UK doesn't have the obsession with diesel than Irish people have so you will pick up a high spec/low mileage one for good money.

Just know the UK importer, check them out. Loads of dodgy f**ks out their

Advertisement