Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Populating a freshwater tank

Options
  • 31-07-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

I'm a fairly novice keeper seeking advice on stocking a 125L/33Gal freshwater tank.

I have a cycled Fluval Roma 125 currently stocked with a single comet, a pair of zebra danio, and a pair of apple snails. I started with 5 danio but unfortunately we moved house recently and we had an accident during transport and we lost a few of them.

The tank is balanced and I'm now looking to stock it with a few complimentary fish that won't upset the existing stock, but will also be able to thrive themselves. I've been looking at Kuhli Loaches specifically but I've read you need 5 of these and I don't know if that will be too much of a strain on the tank? I've a Fluval U3 filter which should be surplus to requirements on that front. I will just add a few more Danios to the school if that's the best option.

Advice/suggestions most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think your keeping of the comet will dictate your options tbh. The tank is honestly a bit too small for him and, as he grows, he'll eat your danios. Could you look at re-homing him? That'd give you more options stock wise?

I used to have an 80l planted sub-tropical tank with 5/6 Zebra Danios, a dwarf cold-water pleco (can't remember the breed, got him in Seahorse) and about 7 white cloud mountain minnows (pics in the show us your tank thread) and it was honestly one of the most natural, healty and active tanks I ever kept. At 125l and with an external filter you could pretty much double the numbers of both shoals (or add a few tiger barbs or similar) and you'd have an extremely attractive tank imo.

Advertisement