Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 year fixed rate?

• 31-07-2018 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions on a 10year fixed rate of 3.3% on an LTV that's 80%. Good/bad? I thought myself it was good. It's with BOI.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭3DataModem

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions on a 10year fixed rate of 3.3% on an LTV that's 80%. Good/bad? I thought myself it was good. It's with BOI.

Seems pretty good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

That's what I thought. I'm struggling to see any downside. Seems competitive for my LTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,639 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's what I thought. I'm struggling to see any downside. Seems competitive for my LTV.

Main downside to a long fixed is getting out of it if you want to. The penalties may be high.

Im not moving unless I win the lotto... I may need to extend but I can probably either separate that loan out from the mortgage or go with the CU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Seems good now, just be aware that alot can happen rate wise over a ten year period. Rates are low now and likely to go up, although we have been saying that for a few years now.
    The only concern I would have is if rates are significantly higher in 10 years time you will see a big jump in your mortgage payment when the fixed rate expires. Also if rates go lower than they are today, you could be paying over the odds and you are locked in for 10 years.

At the face of it, it seems like a good offer, just the longer term adds some uncertainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Undervalued

TheShow wrote: »
    Seems good now, just be aware that alot can happen rate wise over a ten year period. Rates are low now and likely to go up, although we have been saying that for a few years now.
    The only concern I would have is if rates are significantly higher in 10 years time you will see a big jump in your mortgage payment when the fixed rate expires. Also if rates go lower than they are today, you could be paying over the odds and you are locked in for 10 years.

At the face of it, it seems like a good offer, just the longer term adds some uncertainty.

Well if the rates go up you are insulated against that for 10 years. Shorter term fixed and you will still end up at the same rate in 10 years

The only possible issue I see is that despite rates being low and unlikely to go down in the current model there is some pressure to bring our rates in line with European averages.

Well if the rates go up you are insulated against that for 10 years. .

yes, but the point i was making is after the fixed rate expires, you could have a nasty increase if rates are significantly higher, rather than a gradual increases if you go on shorter fixed terms or variable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't plan on moving house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

yes, but the point i was making is after the fixed rate expires, you could have a nasty increase if rates are significantly higher, rather than a gradual increases if you go on shorter fixed terms or variable.

I've seen this reason posted regularly here as a disadvantage, but I don't really understand it?

Surely paying 800pm for 10 years and then 1200pm in Year 11 is a lot better than paying 800 (Y1) -850 (Y2) -900 -950 -1000 - 1050 -1100 -1150 -1200 etc??

(all assuming rates are higher in ten years)

Being on the lower fixed rate presumably would mitigate that, you'd imagine.

• Advertisement

I've seen this reason posted regularly here as a disadvantage, but I don't really understand it?

Surely paying 800pm for 10 years and then 1200pm in Year 11 is a lot better than paying 800 (Y1) -850 (Y2) -900 -950 -1000 - 1050 -1100 -1150 -1200 etc??

Yep, its just going from say €500pm to €1000pm in one go is what I was saying. But yes what you're saying is perfect sense.

Its not a disadvantage per se, just the reality of it I guess and to be prepared for it.

Yes, and after 10 years my capital will be down a lot so any significant change in say the interest rate would be offset by the reduced capital left on the loan which I wont benefit from until the 10 years are up.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

KBC are offering 3.05% for a loan to value of 80% if you open a current account with them.

Both 3.05% and 3.30% are great deals for 10 year fixed as its more than likely rates will start to increase mid to end of 2019. Also when the 10 year expires your principal and loan to value will have reduced greatly and all lenders now offer competitive LTV rates. Also you will know what your mortgage repayments will be for the next 10 years especially if you have a young children at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It means you can't overpay now and reduce the capital doesn't it? So you could end up with more to pay after 10 years?

TheChizler wrote: »
    It means you can't overpay now and reduce the capital doesn't it? So you could end up with more to pay after 10 years?

You can overpay now but you wont see the benefits until the 10 years are over. Not that I can predict the future but probably the worst case scenario is that after 10 years if rates rise I still find I'm paying the same amount when I come off the fixed rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It actually adds a lot certainty - the monthly payment will be €XYZ. The only uncertainty is if it is good or bad. But from planning perspective it is excellent.

Personally with the state of the markets, a lot of people moving abroad - I wouldn't take a fixed rate... There can be huge penalties one wants to emigrate too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You can overpay now but you wont see the benefits until the 10 years are over.
    Oh I was under the impression that a big disadvantage of fixed rates was that they normally forbid over payments.

Oh I was under the impression that a big disadvantage of fixed rates was that they normally forbid over payments.

Well there's no point in making the overpayment. It's better off in your own bank account earning paltry interest then make an overpayment just as the fixed rate is ending. But the bank doesn't stop you. I've just come off a 3 year fixed at 3.8% and could make overpayments.

At 3% there's huge benefit in overpaying. You can save thousands.

The more you overpay the less is owed the less the 3% applies to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

KBC allow you to overpay 10% of the principal on a fixed rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

There's much lower . rates that that available. 2.3 and 2.6 with Ulster bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Im not moving unless I win the lotto... I may need to extend but I can probably either separate that loan out from the mortgage or go with the CU.

You may not be moving but you may want to move who your mortgage is with depending on how rates go during the course of 10 years. It's a long time in terms of the markets - think of where we were 10 years ago.

We fixed for a similar rate for 2 years and will get option to fix then after that should we decide to. Gives us a bit of the insulation against rate movements but also allows us to move mortgage provider in 2 years should we want to.

Wesser wrote: »
    There's much lower . rates that that available. 2.3 and 2.6 with Ulster bank.

not for 10 years though.

not for 10 years though.

2.6% with Ulster Bank for 4 years and you can reassess after that. 5 years fixed range from 2.9% up to comparable with what the OP has offered.

OP bonkers.ie shows a good comparison of the rates which I found helpful when I was looking.

2.9% for 5 years is strong indeed, but with a 60% LTV restriction. 2.95% up to 80% LTV.

I found the BOI fixed rate for 5 years competitive considering I was with them anyway and they facilitated a 66% per month overpayment at the fixed rate :)

2.9% for 5 years is strong indeed, but with a 60% LTV restriction. 2.95% up to 80% LTV.

No that's for a maximum LTV of 90% for UB account holders. It's 2.99% for non account holders. Plus €1,500 towards legal fees.

No that's for a maximum LTV of 90% for UB account holders. It's 2.99% for non account holders. Plus €1,500 towards legal fees.

LTV - Non Account holders.

Fixed Rate - Up to 60% LTV 2.90% 4.30% SVR* 3.7%
    Fixed Rate - Up to 80% LTV 2.95% 4.30% SVR* 3.7%
    Fixed Rate - Up to 90% LTV 2.99% 4.30% SVR* 3.7%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,639 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Well there's no point in making the overpayment. It's better off in your own bank account earning paltry interest then make an overpayment just as the fixed rate is ending. But the bank doesn't stop you. I've just come off a 3 year fixed at 3.8% and could make overpayments.

How is it better earning nothing in a bank? . You can pay monthly overpayments when on a fixed rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

Kbc fixed reducing from the 3rd of September, unfortunately the 10 yr rates are staying the same

https://www.kbc.ie/news-and-press/latest-news-and-press-releases/kbc-bank-lowers-mortgage-rates

Advertisement