Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm battery/coms fault

Options
  • 31-07-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi All

My HKC is playing up. Two installers have both said the panel at fault. The guy who fitted it, without coming out to look has quoted €700 to replace and wont give me the engineers code!. I did not tell him why I wanted the code, the reason I want it is the second guy, who has done different electrical work for me, but is a HKC installer as well said he can fix it if I can get the engineers code, otherwise he will have to replace the panel. Are these panels easy to install? Are they within the average DIYer range?. I have replaced electrical things before where I have gotten the same unit as I am replacing and just put the wires in the same positions as they came out of. These panels are €180. Also if I have to replace panel, do I need to replace both my keypads as well with coms fault? only one comes with the new panel These engineers codes wreck my head, its a little like buying a new car, and wont give the radio code, and should you loose it they wont give it to you ! . Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its seems to me both your installers are trying to sell you a new panel.!!
    The first quotes you without even looking & the second says he can fix it, but only with the engineer code? So what is the fault that won't fix without the engineer code? As an installer I can't think of one.
    Secondly , any good engineer can default and reset these systems easily. Your second installer is a HKC installer. Why won't he do this for you?
    If you replace the panel you will need to replace all keypads as the old HKC panels are obsolete.
    My advice is find a third installer , preferably an honest one who knows what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

clogher71 wrote: »
    Hi All

My HKC is playing up. Two installers have both said the panel at fault. The guy who fitted it, without coming out to look has quoted €700 to replace and wont give me the engineers code!. I did not tell him why I wanted the code, the reason I want it is the second guy, who has done different electrical work for me, but is a HKC installer as well said he can fix it if I can get the engineers code, otherwise he will have to replace the panel. Are these panels easy to install? Are they within the average DIYer range?. I have replaced electrical things before where I have gotten the same unit as I am replacing and just put the wires in the same positions as they came out of. These panels are €180. Also if I have to replace panel, do I need to replace both my keypads as well with coms fault? only one comes with the new panel These engineers codes wreck my head, its a little like buying a new car, and wont give the radio code, and should you loose it they wont give it to you ! . Any advice appreciated.

What is the fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Hi Guys
    A fault came up saying panel battery low(I think). The installer rang me as it texts him as well and said I need to change the battery so I changed it myself, that was Its third battery in seven years!. All was fine for 10 days and then it started saying alarm panel battery fault, I checked connections all were fine, I rang installer, he went off and said he checked with Hkc, he came back and said most likely the panel needs replacing. I ignored it for a few days Maybe a week and then it started beeping and saying DLR comms fault. Type in a code and it stops, but starts it again after a few mins. I have had to disconnect it altogether, all batteries dead now!

Koolkid . Would I be able to 're set it myself?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And what is the second guy claiming the fault is that the engineer code will fix?:confused:

The panel needs looking at first to determine the problem(s) . Could be a power supply issue or it could be the panel itself. If it is indeed a problem with the panel the engineer code will not solve this.

I would be checking the power supply & the battery charge voltage & aux power voltage first.

You could default it yourself if it is not engineer locked but you need to look at these problems first either way.

Hi Guys
    A fault came up saying panel battery low(I think). The installer rang me as it texts him as well and said I need to change the battery so I changed it myself, that was Its third battery in seven years!. All was fine for 10 days and then it started saying alarm panel battery fault, I checked connections all were fine, I rang installer, he went off and said he checked with Hkc, he came back and said most likely the panel needs replacing. I ignored it for a few days Maybe a week and then it started beeping and saying DLR comms fault. Type in a code and it stops, but starts it again after a few mins. I have had to disconnect it altogether, all batteries dead now!

Koolkid . Would I be able to 're set it myself?

Sounds like the panel is not charging the back up battery.
    Never heard of a DLR comms fault?

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Sounds like the panel is not charging the back up battery.
    Never heard of a DLR comms fault?

That's what's it says in the keypad and keeps beeping when it's displayed!

So are you leaning towards a panel replacement as well? DIY fit?

There would be a few things to try before committing to a panel replacement.
    Power cycle
    Remove any other powered devices/equipment.
    Default panel.

Ill make a call and see what that fault is, never heard of it before.

Yes, you can easily do a reinstall yourself, most of the hard work is done too :D

Do you know what panel you have installed?

altor wrote: »
    Do you know what panel you have installed?

Sw 1070

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the replies. I think I am sorted , with the replies here and also the help of a very kind boards member.

Sw 1070

Its something connected to the serial port.
    If its an older 10/70 could be a gsm-p

Advertisement