Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork chippers and their massive waste of paper. Does it annoy anybody else?

Options
  • 31-07-2018 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

What is it with Cork chippers and using 50 massive sheets of paper to wrap chips in. A small portion of chips at that. Another time I got 6 tiny chicken nuggets wrapped in a ridiculous amount of paper. Never seen anything like it and it seems to be a Cork thing.

It's impossible to eat on the go. I was trying to eat chips while walking home yesterday and it looked like I was eating them off a greasy broadsheet newspaper flapping everywhere in the wind. It nearly flew away like a kite.

Anyway, are there any decent chippers around the city that do chips in a brown paper bag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Why is it a Cork thing? Is it not a traditional chipper thing done everywhere? Certainly lots of chippers I have been to in Limerick and Dublin also do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

1st world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You could just ask that they only wrap your chips in one sheet of paper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Stick your chips down your underpants! Problem sorted and they will stay warm too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

What an exciting life you must lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You could just ask that they only wrap your chips in one sheet of paper

That's still difficult to eat on the go. Do any good chippers do a bag of chips?

What an exciting life you must lead.

What does that mean? I'm having a rant. Is your life too exciting to have an auld rant every now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

What does that mean? I'm having a rant. Is your life too exciting to have an auld rant every now and then?

Life is incredibly short, why worry about something as small as the amount of paper used in a chipper?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Im glad cork chips are in paper. Seems outside cork and espec in dublin its all italian chippers and their tiny brown bags with a scoop of chips with the salt n vineger stuck on the top. Cork chippers rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

What is it with Cork chippers and using 50 massive sheets of paper to wrap chips in. A small portion of chips at that. Another time I got 6 tiny chicken nuggets wrapped in a ridiculous amount of paper. Never seen anything like it and it seems to be a Cork thing.

It's impossible to eat on the go. I was trying to eat chips while walking home yesterday and it looked like I was eating them off a greasy broadsheet newspaper flapping everywhere in the wind. It nearly flew away like a kite.

Anyway, are there any decent chippers around the city that do chips in a brown paper bag?

Think you should give Neil Prenderville a ring in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Paper is 100% renewable, can't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭beachhead

Time to move to Cork.There must be at least 3/4 potatoes hidden in all that paper.Beats chippers around here especially Macaris who make a big show of putting a scoop of an extra 10 chips into a tiny(15 chips already in there) grease proof bag which then goes into a brown paper bag.By the way soiled/dirty wrapping paper goes straight to landfill.So paper bag chippers are eco friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Next time bring your own reusable container and ask to put the food into it, problem solved. They have no issue doing this, unless what you order is too big for it.
    As said by beachhead the soiled paper can go into a compostable bin which is then sent to an industrial composter. Home compost for plain paper should be suitable, unless it's one of the plastic "biodegradable" kind.

More takeaways (and supermarkets) should provide this type of bin, as well as recycling and general refuse. You see them in a few cafes, even though they wouldn't produce as much rubbish other than takeaway compostable coffee cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rockin Joes do and they're f**king awful if they're left in the bag longer than 30 secs.

The chips effectively "sweat" in the bag making them soggy, I've been there once and wont return because of it, that and the price on seriously poor burgers.

Shakes are decent but again, pricey for a sh*te takeaway.

vince wrote: »
    tiny brown bags with a scoop of chips with the salt n vineger stuck on the top. Cork chippers rule.

Any decent chipper will shake the bag around as they delicately season the chips with the finest of Homestead salt.

I actually went to yer most famous chipper. The one everybody raves about in the south of the city. Where you see confused tourists standing outside with burnt shavings of chips in 5 sheets of soggy broadsheet paper, liters of grease all over their lips and hands. I can't understand their foreign lammidge but judging by their faces they're probably saying "these are supposed to be the best ****ing chips in Cork?!??"

First of all they're the worst chips I've ever had, same opinion as all the "blow in" non-Cork people I know. I guess we don't have the nostalgic memories of being sent down to this chipper by mammy with a 50p coin.

Secondly the salt thing you mentioned. They do the exact same thing in this famous Cork chipper. Lay out the chips on the 40 sheets of paper. Pour 2 tablespoons of salt on 1 chip. Wrap it up like a nappy in 4 trees worth of paper. (yes the amount of paper used is increasing in each of my sentences)

"But dey put a schoop a chips in wit de burger baiiii!!!"

All I want is a well cooked chip in a brown paper bag.

@GavRedKing I'll give Rockin Joe's a go and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Fresh and Fast in Passage give their chips in a "bag". The chips aren't the best but they do give a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Any decent chipper will shake the bag around as they delicately season the chips with the finest of Homestead salt.

I actually went to yer most famous chipper. The one everybody raves about in the south of the city. Where you see confused tourists standing outside with burnt shavings of chips in 5 sheets of soggy broadsheet paper, liters of grease all over their lips and hands. I can't understand their foreign lammidge but judging by their faces they're probably saying "these are supposed to be the best ****ing chips in Cork?!??"

First of all they're the worst chips I've ever had, same opinion as all the "blow in" non-Cork people I know. I guess we don't have the nostalgic memories of being sent down to this chipper by mammy with a 50p coin.

Secondly the salt thing you mentioned. They do the exact same thing in this famous Cork chipper. Lay out the chips on the 40 sheets of paper. Pour 2 tablespoons of salt on 1 chip. Wrap it up like a nappy in 4 trees worth of paper. (yes the amount of paper used is increasing in each of my sentences)

"But dey put a schoop a chips in wit de burger baiiii!!!"

All I want is a well cooked chip in a brown paper bag.

@GavRedKing I'll give Rockin Joe's a go and report back.

I fear this may be taking over your life
    Professional help is available or just buy oven chips and have them any way you wish at home:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I don't mind them using the wrapping, but I know what you mean by the overuse of it; at times it can be overkill. Just ask for less paper, that's what I've done for a while (the staff tend to be happy to use less).

It's impossible to eat on the go. I was trying to eat chips while walking home yesterday and it looked like I was eating them off a greasy broadsheet newspaper flapping everywhere in the wind. It nearly flew away like a kite.............

I actually went to yer most famous chipper. The one everybody raves about in the south of the city. ............

The famous chipper you mention, if you tell them you are eating in they'll wrap them open for you in a handy cradle type organisation of paper, great for walking and munching :)

I live in Kildare, Dublin & Kildare chippers ( Irish Traditional Italian Chippers Association members mainly) are utter sh1t compared to Lennox's of Bandon Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Somebody trying to be an Eco-Warrior hero? Just avoid using plastic like the plague, recycle as much as you can and drink your takeaway coffees in a reusable cup and you’ll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Put the chips in your ears.
    Warm ears and waxy chips....win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

At least it's paper. There were (and are) FAR worse fast food packaging materials like plastic and polystyrene still in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

God, I’d love a proper bag of Cork chips wrapped in paper now. Not the Dublin chips that come sweating in a brown paper bag. The newspaper wrap is much better!

12 years living in dublin and I still haven’t fully adjusted to their chips.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Nobody's mentioned getting chips in a cardboard box? They'd be sweating in the box compared to being wrapped in paper. It's a completely different experience eating out a sweaty box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Balanadan wrote: »
    Nobody's mentioned getting chips in a cardboard box? They'd be sweating in the box compared to being wrapped in paper. It's a completely different experience eating out a sweaty box.

That no way to talk about your Mrs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Better paper and lots of it than plastic wrapping any day, only problem ive with paper is the louts dumping it on the street after eating their take away...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What is it with Cork chippers and using 50 massive sheets of paper to wrap chips in. A small portion of chips at that.

Small portion? You're going to the wrong chippers :)
    The one everybody raves about in the south of the city.
    There are better chippers on the south side, ones that will give you a portion of chips the size of a human head too.

A good few of them still use polystyrene for burgers or curry/gravy chips - I think this is a bigger problem than the paper TBH. I prefer the paper to bags any day.

Advertisement