Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Security options for new Laptop

Options
  • 31-07-2018 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a new laptop in the coming month and just wondering before I start using it, what is to best anti-virus and security options to install to try keep it free of malware, advertising junk, tracking etc. It will be Windows Home or Pro depending on model I decide on. I currently use Malwarebytes and then occasionally I will run the free version of Spybot & Superantispyware for a quick check. Any better solutions out there. I know it will probably have McAfee pre installed for trial version but I am not fond of McAfee. Preferably if I have to pay for a solution I would like it to be a one-off rather than yearly !!

Also should I be looking at installing a VPN, which seems to be highly
    recommended by some people these days. If Yes what is the best VPN option. Again don't mind paying a one off price if need be so as to avoid ad's on the free VPN versions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Honestly, I find the inbuilt Windows 10 antivirus along with Malwarebytes to be more than adequate. As they say, the biggest security risk these days is the end user, so run an occasional scan with Malwarebytes and be careful about what you download to the machine/don't click on dodgy links in your browser and you should be all set. Careful browsing is the key. I definitely wouldn't bother paying for antivirus if you're just a basic home user.

I wouldn't bother with a VPN unless you spend a lot of time browsing on open Wifi networks. I wouldn't bother telling a home user to invest in a VPN unless you have some reason to encrypt your Internet traffic outside of using an up-to-date browser. Just use a few browser extensions like Disconnect and HTTPS Everywhere if you want to secure your browsing past the normal.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

OK Prop, thanks for your input.

Advertisement