Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US preclearance kiosks Dublin airport

Options
  • 31-07-2018 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I usually use the self service kiosks at US preclearance when going to the US. I was there in April and used it no issues. A friend went through today and was told the kiosks are gone, is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I went through in May and none of them were working - Agent had to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I went through in May and none of them were working - Agent had to process.

I wonder did they get rid of them then?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Went threw 2 weeks ago. Kiosks were there, but turned off.

Any time i used them traveling I felt they took longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

hi everyone bit change of topic wondering whats the clearance like going into the us from Dublin time wise? Im going in sept my flight is at 8.50am trying to be at airport for about 6.30 this enough time even to get breakfast? customs clearance etc or should i leave earlier

revoke12 wrote: »
    hi everyone bit change of topic wondering whats the clearance like going into the us from Dublin time wise? Im going in sept my flight is at 8.50am trying to be at airport for about 6.30 this enough time even to get breakfast? customs clearance etc or should i leave earlier

Recommended time is 3 hours prior. It is usually busy at that hour as there are quite a number of flights departing .

I'd want more than 2hours 20 mins. Boarding commences 45 minutes prior.

• Advertisement

thanks for that i think i better leave at 5am and be safe as i plan on having breakfast etc at the airport to help me on the way for the long flights. havnt been to the states so was wondering would the clearance etc be longer thanks for the advice

thanks for that i think i better leave at 5am and be safe as i plan on having breakfast etc at the airport to help me on the way for the long flights. havnt been to the states so was wondering would the clearance etc be longer thanks for the advice

If your traveling on a new ESTA (first timer) definitely give yourself more time as you will not be able to use self service (that's if they're working).

Yes im a first timer so wasnt sure with the process with clearance to the US etc does it take longer. i better give myself enough time no point cutting it short for no reason im staying the night before so will just leave the airport 5am be there for about 5.30 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Flight at 3.50 next Wed

Is that normally a busy time to go through preclearance

Im reluctant to go through too early as I'm sure facilities are limited past preclearance but then again dont wait to jeopardise missing my flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Hi Guys, Flying to the NY next month with Ei from Dublin. I have myself and my wife's ESTA applied and approved.

Do i have to print it off or do our passport numbers come up in their system at pre clearance?

Also, how long before take off time is best to go through pre clearance?

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hi Guys, Flying to the NY next month with Ei from Dublin. I have myself and my wife's ESTA applied and approved.

Do i have to print it off or do our passport numbers come up in their system at pre clearance?

Thank you!

You don't need the esta printed it's on their system but no harm if you want to, I generally just put the number in my phone. Pre clearance can take a while you should probably aim to be through security and had a bite to eat 2 hours before take off then go to pre clearance, 90 minutes is probably fine but it can get busy. There are a few bits beyond preclearance where you can get a snack or a drink and there are toilets etc so no harm being through early.

Thank you!

Hi there no need to print anything off they can scan it someway through your passport etc so you do not need a copy. I would go through early also eat breakfast/lunch before you go through us customs as there is no food options at other side. I would go through irish customs get grub and head off into us then. My advice go early as it does take a good bit of time going through both Irish and US. The Irish customs took a long time to get through last year when I was heading.

Hi there no need to print anything off they can scan it someway through your passport etc so you do not need a copy. I would go through early also eat breakfast/lunch before you go through us customs as there is no food options at other side. I would go through irish customs get grub and head off into us then. My advice go early as it does take a good bit of time going through both Irish and US. The Irish customs took a long time to get through last year when I was heading.

you don't go through Irish Customs

you don't go through Irish Customs

Irish security is what i ment.

thank you everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I went through there about 3 weeks ago and they were turned off. It was a Saturday morning and I got through in about 15 minutes, they were very prompt and efficient.

One thing to beware of though is that you have to go through security AGAIN before the pre-clearance.
    So we went through the usual security and bag x-ray etc., and then picked up some bottles of water (€4 each!!!!) for the plane journey...Only to have to throw them in the bin before even taking a sip because we had to go through security again at the pre-clearance.
    It was such a waste of money, I was disgusted. Just saying so you won't be stung like we were :pac:

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I went through there about 3 weeks ago and they were turned off. It was a Saturday morning and I got through in about 15 minutes, they were very prompt and efficient.

One thing to beware of though is that you have to go through security AGAIN before the pre-clearance.
    So we went through the usual security and bag x-ray etc., and then picked up some bottles of water (€4 each!!!!) for the plane journey...Only to have to throw them in the bin before even taking a sip because we had to go through security again at the pre-clearance.
    It was such a waste of money, I was disgusted. Just saying so you won't be stung like we were :pac:

"Plane water" is only 1 euro a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

"Plane water" is only 1 euro a pop

Hindsight :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

SusieBlue wrote: »

That’s odd, I go through there twice a year on average, and always get my ‘plane water’ straight after the Dublin airport security check. Have never been asked to throw it out at the second security check. All they care about is your shoes and electronics

Advertisement