Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

food likes/dislikes?

Options
  • 31-07-2018 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭

Strange - i love bakewell tart or anything confectionary with almond.. though I hate marzipan-??
    Also, dislike chickpeas but adore hummous - ??

No idea why..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Was just taking about this this evening! I love raspberry flavoured things but don't like raspberries. My sister loves chocolate but doesn't like anything chocolate flavoured like ice cream...weirdo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Love mushrooms, hate mushroom soup, same with tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Love cream in deserts, hate it in soup or anything hot. And liver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

jellybear wrote: »
    Was just taking about this this evening! I love raspberry flavoured things but don't like raspberries. My sister loves chocolate but doesn't like anything chocolate flavoured like ice cream...weirdo :D

actually - i am a chocoholic - seriously - but i really don't like chocolate flavoured ice cream - find it too heavy - don't mind choc chips or what ever in vanilla ice cream though..

not mad about chocolate cake either - esp if its heavy.. but again - a madeira with choc chips or what ever is hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I hate tomatoes but like tomato based sauces. Husband likes tomatoes but hates tomato based sauces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I like salt and vinegar on chips but dont like salt and vinegar crisps... cheese and onion man.
    But I wouldnt eat a cheese and onion only sandwich.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Like the first person said, I too like hummous but not the chick peas, don't like liver, love lemon flavour as well as strawberry and raspberries, love spinach, and also love the things I had to give up for health reasons like, cream, butter, pies,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I like salt and vinegar on chips but dont like salt and vinegar crisps... cheese and onion man.
    But I wouldnt eat a cheese and onion only sandwich.

Im the opposite - dont like salt and vinegar on my chips but love salt & vinegar crisps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I generally don't like anything with an aniseed-y flavour. That ranges from aniseed itself to fennel to celery to carraway.

I do like it if the flavour is actually well-balanced with others, such as in a soffritto, or as spicing in a curry. I'd actually always used a few fennel seeds in any mild curry, as it just creates a lovely savoury taste. But if it's the main flavour of a dish, I just can't face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sporina wrote: »
    Strange - i love bakewell tart or anything confectionary with almond.. though I hate marzipan-??
    I love almonds but absolutely hate almond essence. Most marzipan and cakes have got almond essence in them, a chocolate bar with almonds usually would not. I remember seeing some chef making his own marzipan and thought it was all going well then he dumps in that muck at the end.

The essences are apparently made from a different type of almond.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I love almonds but absolutely hate almond essence. Most marzipan and cakes have got almond essence in them, a chocolate bar with almonds usually would not. I remember seeing some chef making his own marzipan and thought it was all going well then he dumps in that muck at the end.

The essences are apparently made from a different type of almond.

i love bakewell tart which has almond essence so not sure what it is i hate about marzipan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

love tuna but even the smell of tinned tuna turns my stomach. yuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

No idea why..
    Off-topic, but if you get a chance have a sniff of the imperial leather 'cherry bakewell' shower gel (tesco have it).
    It is freakishly accurate; I swear you can even smell the pastry.
    sU0bxRF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Mushrooms. Just no, no, no, no ,no,no, noooooo!

Tried them cut big to pick out, cut small to not notice. Now they don't get in the house.

Fried onions , just on their own.Disgusting.

Liver.

Used to love, love, love Aldi's viennese whirls. And Lidl's brioche. Used to get through more than 2 a week of them.

And only a certain type of custard cream. All given up now. Maybe that's why I'm so cranky. lol

Love rhubarb crumble and blackberry jam (home made)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BailMeOut wrote: »
    love tuna but even the smell of tinned tuna turns my stomach. yuch.

I'm exactly the same.

Love coffee, hate coffee flavoured anything.
    Love almonds, hate anything almond flavoured.
    Love chocolate, don't like chocolate icecream.
    Love paté, hate liver.

tampopo wrote: »
    Mushrooms. Just no, no, no, no ,no,no, noooooo!

Tried them cut big to pick out, cut small to not notice. Now they don't get in the house.

Fried onions , just on their own.Disgusting.

Liver.

Used to love, love, love Aldi's viennese whirls. And Lidl's brioche. Used to get through more than 2 a week of them.

And only a certain type of custard cream. All given up now. Maybe that's why I'm so cranky. lol

Love rhubarb crumble and blackberry jam (home made)

no disrespect but i think your missing the point eg perhaps you love mushrooms in a risotto but hate them in a quiche or perhaps you love raw onions but hate fried? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Cannot stand blue cheese, but I'd drink blue cheese dressing straight from the bottle

Cannot stand blue cheese, but I'd drink blue cheese dressing straight from the bottle

Have you tried Saint Agur? Its like a gateway blue cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I love coffee but hate coffee flavoured sweets or cakes
    I love fresh banana but hate banana ice cream or anything banana flavoured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

BailMeOut wrote:
    Have you tried Saint Agur? Its like a gateway blue cheese!

I haven't, but thanks for the tip! I'll have to try some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I love coffee but hate coffee flavoured sweets or cakes
    I love fresh banana but hate banana ice cream or anything banana flavoured

Have you tried any made with the real thing. Ingredients lists do not have to show all the ingredients used, if they are below a certain % they can leave them out, so unless making it yourself it is hard to know if they have any.

I was saying I despise any marzipan I tasted but reckon if I made my own I might like it. I find some coffee sweets are manky, I have had icing made with real brewed coffee and it was lovely.

I also do not like artificial banana but would have smoothies or milkshakes I made myself and they are fine.

Here is an article about it. When brewing beer you can get these acetates formed which give distinct flavours, this is why banana is a common smell you can get.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140829-the-secrets-of-fake-flavours

rubadub wrote: »
    I was saying I despise any marzipan I tasted but reckon if I made my own I might like it.

My wife makes a marzipan with whiskey in it and it in incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

No idea why..

I love almonds, but absolutely hate marzipan and not a big fan of bake well tarts.

I'm not a big fan of hummous, but like chickpeas.

woodchuck wrote: »
    I love almonds, but absolutely hate marzipan and not a big fan of bake well tarts.

I'm not a big fan of hummous, but like chickpeas.

crazy eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

no disrespect but i think your missing the point eg perhaps you love mushrooms in a risotto but hate them in a quiche or perhaps you love raw onions but hate fried? etc

It says likes/dislikes.

I dislike mushrooms, liver etc

tampopo wrote: »
    It says likes/dislikes.

I dislike mushrooms, liver etc

not quite what i meant - but if you read my initial post you will get the point..

perhaps I should have said "strange" likes/dislikes.. I don't think I can change it though..

Advertisement