Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to ‘Stretch’ shoes?

• 31-07-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am a size ten in shoes.... bought a pair of ‘Steve Madden’ leather boot style shoes yesterday.Didnt want to be carrying box around so just got the shoes alone in a bag.Shopping assistant said that I could not return the shoes without the box....I said that’s ok.
    Bought the ten in the bootie shoes but am wearing them around carpeted house all morning to break them in.
    They feel a bit tight on me ......moreso than in the shop....... could be my imagination but I think I heard before that shoe repair shops can ‘stretch’ shoes slightly....is this correct?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Just Bumping this.....

Appreciate any ideas on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Yes, many have stretching jigs in them. It might depend on the particular form of your shoes.

Shoe-Stretching-Dublin-6.jpg

There's a place on the southside of the Ha Penny bridge that definitely has such a jig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I had shoes that were too tight. I went to a shop in Grafton St and bought another pair - I'd tried dozens of shoes in numerous shops by then and they all were slightly tight in the width. Any that fit me in the width were slipping off my heel when I walked. Anyway, this shop had a pair that fit like a glove, as they say, and when paying for them I mentioned my difficulty, and the fact that I now had a hardly worn pair of shoes at home. The guy said, "bring them in and I'll put them on the (some device name - might well have been stretcher)". So I dropped them in and he left them overnight. They stretched a little, but it was enough. And for free!! (ha! the shoes he sold me were way over my usual 'shoe budget'...).

So there you have it - it can be done.

HTH (btw, male sized 9.5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Youtube has a few videos on how to do it yourself, that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

My grandmother’s method: get a small plastic bag (the kind of food storage bags you can get) fill it with water, tie a knot in it and put it inside the shoe- you want the bag to be filling the shoe. Stick shoe + bag into freezer overnight, and as the water feeezes it will expand and stretch the shoe. It will give you a bit more room anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement