Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Old Gear v New Gear, Upgrade Case?

Options
  • 31-07-2018 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

Been doing some research on upgrading my main PC and there are quite a lot of 2018 reviews out there comparing my i7 2600K with the latest and greatest from Intel and AMD. If you are into 1080p gaming which is my sweet spot these days, the conclusion seems to be unless you are playing certain very specific CPU intensive games or using top end multi-GPU graphics solutions there is still not a really good upgrade case to be made for investing in the new CPU+Mobo+RAM that would be required to do so. It would also cost a pretty penny with the ridiculous prices that things are going for these days.

What are peoples thoughts on this forum?

The other component that seems to fall into a similar gap is my R9 290X 4GB GPU, unless I buy a AMD Fury or a GTX 1080 there is not much in the way of improved performance to be had, most would be sideways in terms of performance with the big improvements coming in heat, power consumption and fan noise.

What are peoples thoughts on this forum?

I am inclined to stick with what I have got for now and maybe wait until I have component failure or until I see what next years releases are like in both spaces and then take a decision at that point. Before I started doing my research I assumed I could buy a mid high end CPU and a mid end GPU from the current ranges at a reasonable price and see decent performance improvements, colour me surprised when I found out this is not the case. I haven't see a CPU or GPU with legs like these in a long time!

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600kthe-2018-review-time-for-an-upgrade,1.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76333-i7-2600k-vs-i7-8700k-upgrading-worthwhile.html

https://www.techspot.com/review/1546-intel-2nd-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If just 1080p 60fps, then no, there's no need to upgrade - more a case of want.

Something like an RX580 8GB or GTX1060 6GB is a major upgrade in terms of noise/heat, and more minor in terms of performance - problem is, you'd be spending €300 on either, and only get about €150 back for the 290X. Worth it? Probably not.

Personally I would just wait for the new cards to be announced, or just get a GTX1070 8GB for £329 at the moment....

The 2600K is still grand now for 1080p60...and if you're willing to overclock, will be for quite a time yet. Would fare a lot worse compared to modern processors at productivity or gaming at >60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If just 1080p 60fps, then no, there's no need to upgrade - more a case of want.

Something like an RX580 8GB or GTX1060 6GB is a major upgrade in terms of noise/heat, and more minor in terms of performance - problem is, you'd be spending €300 on either, and only get about €150 back for the 290X. Worth it? Probably not.

Personally I would just wait for the new cards to be announced, or just get a GTX1070 8GB for £329 at the moment....

The 2600K is still grand now for 1080p60...and if you're willing to overclock, will be for quite a time yet. Would fare a lot worse compared to modern processors at productivity or gaming at >60fps.

Aye the CPU has a top of the line air cooler from 2011 and has been steady at 4.2ghz at stock voltage since the day it was installed. There is still a good bit of headroom, I had it stable at 4.8 with higher voltage, but backed it off to a stable stock voltage OC of 4.2 for the past several years.

Advertisement