Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB selling mortgages to vulture funds

• 31-07-2018 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭

So they have floated the idea for a while but now look to be executing it. Anyone who is not engaging or is not bothering paying a cent I have no sympathy for.
    However my question is will this enable them to lower their standard variable interest rates? We here a lot of people advocating repossession and evictions of family homes for this very reason.

Will they fook lower their rates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

They've sold a batch of bad loans to Start Mortgages.

But do Permanent TSB not own Start Mortgages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

davidmarsh wrote: »
    They've sold a batch of bad loans to Start Mortgages.

But do Permanent TSB not own Start Mortgages?

Pretty sure Start are owned Lone Stsr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Pretty sure Start are owned Lone Stsr.

This is correct.

To the OP, From a lending perspective they are far better structured to lend now again. The loans sold are chronic and tbh I'm shocked they got over 50 cent on the euro for them. They reduced their bad debts considerably but I'd say it'll be 12-18 months before they'll get somewhat aggressive in the market and drop rates. They still have a way to go to meet central bank recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

currently renting a house that has been sold to start mortgages from ptsb anyone know what my situation is ? i have been renting said house for 5 years and have a 3 year lease on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Banks have to take big writedowns on these delinguent loans, many of who seem to be "strategic defaulters".

Why would this make them lower their rates? The problem for the banks is that currently if someone doesn't really bother paying their mortgage, they have very little they can do other than sell the loan at a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    currently renting a house that has been sold to start mortgages from ptsb anyone know what my situation is ? i have been renting said house for 5 years and have a 3 year lease on it

No change. The house is no more likely to be repossessed under Start than it was under PTSB. What really matters is whether your landlord is co-operating with the mortgage owner (whoever it is) to try and get the arrears sorted (assuming he is in arrears, which most of the loans that were sold are).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Not all are strategic defaulters

I ran into difficulty and couldn't make payments for a bit have since sorted my self out and have been in restructure agreements with the bank and have always met the payments in full on time

My mortgage is to be sold off and I honestly don't know what to do or expect

These vulture funds will probably sell the house from under me

Queue homeless crises increase

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Sin City wrote: »
    Not all are strategic defaulters

I ran into difficulty and couldn't make payments for a bit have since sorted my self out and have been in restructure agreements with the bank and have always met the payments in full on time

My mortgage is to be sold off and I honestly don't know what to do or expect

These vulture funds will probably sell the house from under me

Queue homeless crises increase

Your protections are the same, nothing will change. They have to keep whatever restructure arrangement you're in now until review time. At review time they have to consider all options and show you why the option they are offering is the most suitable for you.

As long as you keep to your terms and keep paying you've absolutely nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

I have had a mortgage for 19 years and 5 months . I fell behind last year when my dad died , my marriage collapsed and my job ended . I am in a re structure agreement and owe approx €2900 on a house that’s worth about €180000 . Of that €800 is arrears . I am in an agreement and have been in constant contact with the bank . I’m terrified to put it mildly and cannot believe that they have done this to me . Especially when I know my boss had two buy to let’s that were re structured over a a new 15 years deal recently . What can I do ??

Hennesm wrote: »
    I have had a mortgage for 19 years and 5 months . I fell behind last year when my dad died , my marriage collapsed and my job ended . I am in a re structure agreement and owe approx €2900 on a house that’s worth about €180000 . Of that €800 is arrears . I am in an agreement and have been in constant contact with the bank . I’m terrified to put it mildly and cannot believe that they have done this to me . Especially when I know my boss had two buy to let’s that were re structured over a a new 15 years deal recently . What can I do ??

Im in the same boat as you
    Similar situation too

I hope the above poster is right and we have nothing to worry about - but something tells me we will get shafted so the vulture funds can make a quick profit

• Advertisement

hanaimai wrote: »
    Your protections are the same, nothing will change. They have to keep whatever restructure arrangement you're in now until review time. At review time they have to consider all options and show you why the option they are offering is the most suitable for you.

As long as you keep to your terms and keep paying you've absolutely nothing to worry about.

I hope your right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If a mortgage has been restructured and you are keeping tothe agreement, it is not part of the sale of distressed loans.

That has been stated publically by ptsb

The loans sold are those scammers who refused to engage and have lived scot free for several years.

The buyer of the loan will not be open to sudden miniscule payment discussion and will simply move to repossess unless a very good payment plan is forthcoming.

If its a buy to rent property, they may appoint a rent receiver but must adhere to any lease agreement.

As for bringing rates down. It probably will but not immediately.

Remember every cent spent on legal fees against these scamming strategic defaulters and every cent of loss on the sale of the loans has to come from somewhere.

Variable rate mortgage holders are paying the lions share of the costs dealing with these strategic defaulter scammers.

Btw. Someone that engages with the bank and comes to an agreement is NOT a strategic defaulter.

In most European countries, if you don't pay and don't engage you are out of the house within 6 months and usually even quicker than that with minimal legal costs.

Here you can frustrate the process for several years - hence no new bank has come in to the market.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    If a mortgage has been restructured and you are keeping tothe agreement, it is not part of the sale of distressed loans.

That has been stated publically by ptsb

The loans sold are those scammers who refused to engage and have lived scot free for several years.

The buyer of the loan will not be open to sudden miniscule payment discussion and will simply move to repossess unless a very good payment plan is forthcoming.

If its a buy to rent property, they may appoint a rent receiver but must adhere to any lease agreement.

As for bringing rates down. It probably will but not immediately.

Remember every cent spent on legal fees against these scamming strategic defaulters and every cent of loss on the sale of the loans has to come from somewhere.

Variable rate mortgage holders are paying the lions share of the costs dealing with these strategic defaulter scammers.

Btw. Someone that engages with the bank and comes to an agreement is NOT a strategic defaulter.

In most European countries, if you don't pay and don't engage you are out of the house within 6 months and usually even quicker than that with minimal legal costs.

Here you can frustrate the process for several years - hence no new bank has come in to the market.

My loan has been sold . I am not a scammer . I am paying and have done so for 19 years and five months .
    No new back has come to the market because there are no new banks and the banks over lent in the past and the housing market is driven by landlords not people in need of homes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

My loan has been sold . I am not a scammer . I am paying and have done so for 19 years and five months .
    No new back has come to the market because there are no new banks and the banks over lent in the past and the housing market is driven by landlords not people in need of homes !

Where are you getting this from? Currently the stats indicate the landlords are leaving the market and there are much more loans for standard residential loans.

I believe no new banks have entered the market as we are too small and secondly as others have posted it’s very difficult to reposes here

I. I’m terrified to put it mildly and cannot believe that they have done this to me .

Who says they did this to you?

Never ever believe the hysterical sh1te in the media.

A few hundred arrears is nothing and would never ever be considered as a non performing loan in any way shape or form in any circumstance.

The mortgages sold by banks are only those that are considered "non cooperating" and you would have had written correspondence to state that your loan would be listed as such and you get a final chance to engage. Then if you did not engage, you'd get another letter confirming that your loan was considered a non performing loan.

ALL of these are people who are YEARS in arrears and have refused to engage with the bank.

You don't even come on the radar with €800 arrears. So no need to fret in any way whatsoever.

lfcsean101 wrote: »

Thst would have been in a previous sale of investment mortgages and not the sale last week.

It won't make any change to you immediately and your lease stands.

If the landlord is not cooperating, they will probably appoint a rent receiver and only difference for you is you'd be paying into a different bank account.

But everything else is as before, but they may not offer a new lease when the current one expires

Who says they did this to you?

Never ever believe the hysterical sh1te in the media.

A few hundred arrears is nothing and would never ever be considered as a non performing loan in any way shape or form in any circumstance.

The mortgages sold by banks are only those that are considered "non cooperating" and you would have had written correspondence to state that your loan would be listed as such and you get a final chance to engage. Then if you did not engage, you'd get another letter confirming that your loan was considered a non performing loan.

ALL of these are people who are YEARS in arrears and have refused to engage with the bank.

You don't even come on the radar with €800 arrears. So no need to fret in any way whatsoever.

PTSB are telling me . They sent me a letter yesterday telling me so . Despite what they are saying in the media my situation is a reality .and a very scary one . I have been classed as under performing and hence been sold . Start mortgages can do whatever they want with me as my agreement expires next month.
    I am of course job hunting like mad but the west of Ireland is not rich in jobs .
    I am terrified . I have done everything by the book and €800 might be a small sum but it's still arrears and a new company can treat me however they wish .

I'd be in the same boat
    A few grand in arrears but have been co operating with the bank and keeping up payments

I also got the letter yesterday

I'd be in the same boat
    A few grand in arrears but have been co operating with the bank and keeping up payments

I also got the letter yesterday

Terrifying isn't it ? I couldn't believe it as I thought if you were in an arrangement you would be OK ? I phoned them yesterday and got a girl on the 'overflow ' line who couldn't only confirm my details . I'm awaiting a call back . I had no warning , nothing . Just the letter I received yesterday saying my loan had sold .

Terrifying isn't it ? I couldn't believe it as I thought if you were in an arrangement you would be OK ? I phoned them yesterday and got a girl on the 'overflow ' line who couldn't only confirm my details . I'm awaiting a call back . I had no warning , nothing . Just the letter I received yesterday saying my loan had sold .

Im the same
    came home from work to find the letter and have been anxious ever since

I cant see the "new Lender" accepting mortgage rates
    I can see them trying to maximize profits as soon as possible

• Advertisement

Im the same
    came home from work to find the letter and have been anxious ever since

I cant see the "new Lender" accepting mortgage rates
    I can see them trying to maximize profits as soon as possible

Exactly . God knows what the interest rate will be .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

banks are the scum of the earth...

OK - seems its a different loan book than the one I had researched last month.

Only 30% of the loans in this sale were non performing.

It has been sold to Start mortgages. Start are regulated by the central bank and therefore are not a "vulture fund" in the way the media sensationalise. They cannot raise your interest above what is written in your agreement, but they can be stricter on how they deal with you if you are in arrears.

They cannot change any agreement you already have made

So if you are keeping with an agreement, no issues at all.

But the extended leeway than some people took/abused will not be tolerated by start - they don't care about public image and getting new customers the way banks do.

So if you are up to date and keeping to whatever agreement you have. There is no change. They also cannot choose to increase the interest rate as your written mortgage agreement is what matters.

It has been sold to Start mortgages. Start are regulated by the central bank and therefore are not a "vulture fund" in the way the media sensationalise. They cannot raise your interest above what is written in your agreement, but they can be stricter on how they deal with you if you are in arrears.

But the extended leeway than some people took/abused will not be tolerated by start - they don't care about public image and getting new customers the way banks do.

So if you are up to date and keeping to whatever agreement you have. There is no change. They also cannot choose to increase the interest rate as your written mortgage agreement is what matters.

I hope your right as I said

Im just thinking these guys want to turn a profit and quickly

Images of rates being raised to an impossible standard to get homes repossessed and sold off to get said profit is running through my head

Start also adhere to the CCMA - Central Bank's Code of Conduct for Mortgage Arrears.

However if you are classified as non-cooperating then you lose that protection.

The banks usually gave a second and third and fourth chance. Start don't.

https://www.start.ie/ArrearsHelp.aspx

The askaboutmoney site is very good for information on this.

They are extremely strict on how you post. Questions are answered by people with expertise. But ranting like post above is not tolerated - hence its more informative

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/forums/mortgage-arrears-negative-equity-case-studies.93/

I have 7 months left so I suppose it all depends on what there version of up to date is . Once they say you are in arrears they can envoke whatever fees they want and they can impose a higher interest rate once I’m in arrears , which technically I am . This is not how they sold it to the media but I’m quite sure the government knows .

I have 7 months left so I suppose it all depends on what there version of up to date is . Once they say you are in arrears they can envoke whatever fees they want and they can impose a higher interest rate once I’m in arrears , which technically I am . This is not how they sold it to the media but I’m quite sure the government knows .

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Very good ceilingfly. You seem well informed on start. I wonder how you would feel towards ptsb if you have been through months of trying to sort out basic issues and with a solicitor and pip also very frustrated on my side. There are many people that currently feel very angry and annoyed..thanks for advice but I Actually do have a right to rant.. most people do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

PTSB are telling me . They sent me a letter yesterday telling me so . Despite what they are saying in the media my situation is a reality .and a very scary one . I have been classed as under performing and hence been sold . Start mortgages can do whatever they want with me as my agreement expires next month.
    I am of course job hunting like mad but the west of Ireland is not rich in jobs .
    I am terrified . I have done everything by the book and €800 might be a small sum but it's still arrears and a new company can treat me however they wish .

€800 in arrears and your mortgage was sold?
    That's crazy, the media was reporting it would be people not paying for 3+ years.

Advertisement