Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to green reading books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

GreeBo wrote: »
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-and-the-randa-announce-plan-that-limits-scope-of-green-reading-materials-starting-in-2019

Thoughts?
    For me it doesn't go far enough. They should just outlaw them totally and hand players rely on reading the green there and then, with a time limit of course.

I’d ban them outright myself tbh, but I think the easier thing to do (which the US authorities would never go for), would be to actually apply the time limit for hitting shots - problem solved without any rule change needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I agree why not go for a total ban, if they want them for practice rounds etc then go ahead but green reading is a skill and should be rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Not sure a total ban but I do agree that any information that allows you to read a putt should not be allowed.

The old books that had indications of slope rather than exact slopes were really there to help with approach shots and not putting, I see no reason why they can stay.

Remember this rule is for amateurs too, so if you ban them on the reasoning that they negate the skill factor then why stop there and not ban all DMD's too.

I think banning the highly detailed info is the way to go.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Russman wrote: »
    I’d ban them outright myself tbh, but I think the easier thing to do (which the US authorities would never go for), would be to actually apply the time limit for hitting shots - problem solved without any rule change needed.

did you not read it? it is not a problem about time. in fact unless I've missed it, the article doesn't mention time at all. so no, your solution wouldn't solve the problem

It is about going back to basics and the skill involved in reading the greens. we all have to do it ourselves week in and week out and very few of us have any kind of green reading material so i'm all for the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

why stop there and not ban all DMD's too

Just struck me there how heavily I rely on laser and gps data!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Just struck me there how heavily I rely on laser and gps data!

difference being that the distance is a matter of fact. Just like greens even fairways all have their own quirks that distance just wont tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Would be great to see a tournament played by the pros with zero distance assistance, purely by eye!

Seve OB wrote: »
    difference being that the distance is a matter of fact. Just like greens even fairways all have their own quirks that distance just wont tell you

But slope is a matter of fact too. That is why the books work so well, there is no guess work, if you can read the book you can improve your percentages.

I'll for this ban but not a total ban

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd rather see the pros play with lasers and a green book that simply tells them the width, length & position of the pin.
    I think it would speed up the game immeasurably, if you'll pardon the pun.

Banning DMDs when every caddy has yardages down to feet seems like a pointless exercise, it only serves to slow the game down as they pace out shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Seve OB wrote: »
    did you not read it? it is not a problem about time. in fact unless I've missed it, the article doesn't mention time at all. so no, your solution wouldn't solve the problem

It is about going back to basics and the skill involved in reading the greens. we all have to do it ourselves week in and week out and very few of us have any kind of green reading material so i'm all for the ban

Yes, but if the pace of play guidelines on the tour were enforced, the players wouldn't have time to use the green books IMO and by default they would become redundant.

I'm all for banning them anyway, but, meh, much adoo about nothing tbh. Well, okay, maybe not "nothing" but little enough. I'd sooner they found a way to stop players drawing a line on the ball for alignment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

The problem is TV viewers of the future are not as willing yo watch mediocre golf. We are in the age of instant gratification and short attention spans. I think they will lose viewers if they make the game more difficult for the top pros, let them have the green books who cares if golf is not as hard for them.
    Its supposed to be entertainment and in fairness the play different courses each week set up hard as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I'd rather see the pros play with lasers and a green book that simply tells them the width, length & position of the pin.
    I think it would speed up the game immeasurably, if you'll pardon the pun.

Banning DMDs when every caddy has yardages down to feet seems like a pointless exercise, it only serves to slow the game down as they pace out shots.

Knowing the width and length of the pin wouldn't be a priority for the pros I'd imagine. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

As soon as I saw Bryson De Chambeau take out a compass and protractor then it was time to get rid! Personally I hate the green book, up to the player and the caddy to figure it out IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'm with the caddie, John wood, on this. I like the revelation he accidentally makes in this quote. I heard Harrington say nobody drinks on tour any more!

Sure, these books are a tool that can help golfers play better, much like a yardage book or handwritten notes (which we’ll get to later). But they don’t make a stroke for you or tell you how hard to hit the putt or if there’s moisture in the greens or if the surfaces are slightly firmer than the day before, nor do they smooth out that little twitch from the extra cup of coffee before the round or the fourth beer from the night before.

Looks like player power won out and they have rolled back on the restrictions

https://sports.yahoo.com/usga-r-ease-back-limits-130152004.html?guccounter=1

J

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Would be great to see a tournament played by the pros with zero distance assistance, purely by eye!

Definitely on board with this. I’d even consider banning caddies. Let them carry their own bags around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Let em keep the books, but not use them on the greens. Play their approach shots and then take a look at the book as they walk to the green. Upon reaching the green, books away.

Gives them that bit of guidance, doesnt take them all day to make a putt

Definitely on board with this. I’d even consider banning caddies. Let them carry their own bags around.

I think it would be a disaster, they'd be out there for 8 hours pacing every shot.
    Let them use lasers and speed the bloody game up.

Rikand wrote: »
    Let em keep the books, but not use them on the greens. Play their approach shots and then take a look at the book as they walk to the green. Upon reaching the green, books away.

Gives them that bit of guidance, doesnt take them all day to make a putt

You'd need a marker to indicate where the books go away, otherwise they'd turn the fringe into a library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭elbagarihno

You'd need a marker to indicate where the books go away, otherwise they'd turn the fringe into a library.

Shot clock is the only way to go, imposing increasing penalties for breaches of the clock.

Pros should be allowed no time to 'find' their ball - if the following crowds and stewards can't locate it before they get to where it is, they aren't going to find it. They certainly should not have the same 5, soon to be 3 minutes that we have to find it. If it was an amateur they'd have hit a provisional ball and most likely walked on.

You could alter the 40 sec version that they have trialled in Europe and allow players retain unused time for subsequent shots. Or even go as far as saying it's a par 4, you therefore have 160 secs in which to complete your 4 shots + 20 secs for each additional shot over par..

Shot clock is the only way to go, imposing increasing penalties for breaches of the clock.

Pros should be allowed no time to 'find' their ball - if the following crowds and stewards can't locate it before they get to where it is, they aren't going to find it. They certainly should not have the same 5, soon to be 3 minutes that we have to find it. If it was an amateur they'd have hit a provisional ball and most likely walked on.

You could alter the 40 sec version that they have trialled in Europe and allow players retain unused time for subsequent shots. Or even go as far as saying it's a par 4, you therefore have 160 secs in which to complete your 4 shots + 20 secs for each additional shot over par..

I wouldn't let them aggregate time...we want them faster.

Advertisement