Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Sky Dilemma

Options
  • 31-07-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Ok so they've won 6 of the last 7 TDF's and look set to continue as the dominant player for next season but where do they go from here ? They are in negotiations with GT at the moment http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-set-for-contract-talks-with-team-sky-after-tour-de-france-triumph/
    but he's being non committal. Their budget is seen as being excessive compared to other World Tour outfits. Thomas and Froome, in my opinion, can't stay in the same team. Froome wants his 5th Tour title and he knows he can't win it without the might of his Sky train. However he's damaged goods, Thomas has a 'cleaner' image and could possibly win again next year if he had the same team riding for him. Froome did nothing to help him win this Tour. Maybe Brailsford sees Froome as being a safer bet for 2019 and then Bernal ( what a talent) takes over in 2020.. decisions decisions. Just wondering what people think on this one.

Mods feel free to move this to TDF thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought this dilemma might be about what they should do with violent racists or if they should join the movement for credible cycling

Or at least tell us all Thomas' illnesses before we find out through leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thomas is obviously less damaged goods than Froome. No reason the fancy bears wouldn't have gone after him when they released about the British Olympians - there was more than just Wiggins, and as we keep getting told, apparently Thomas went straight from the track winning gold medals to winning the Tour with nothing in between...

I'd say they'll try and send Thomas to the Giro, and Froome focus on the Tour, or just go twin leadership again next year (but true co leadership, not this years Thomas as plan b). I don't see Brailsford risking either of them winning for anyone else, even if I'm not convinced either of them will win another Grand Tour.

Bernal is the future, if they don't burn him out as a domestique. You can kinda see with Quintana, that early promise/ form doesn't necessarily translate into further blossoming in the traditional late 20's/ early 30's window.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I would imagine Froome has it in his contract he gets first dibs at Grand Tours, and I would imagine given he is only a year older than Thomas he has a few more in his legs potentially if he doesn't race the Giro. Thomas is going to want to defend his Tour title next year, and rightly so, so this will definitely present a headache to Team Sky next July!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,478 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They had the same issue in 2013 with Wiggins and Froome.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Wiggins#2013:_Giro_d'Italia_and_Tour_of_Britain

Perhaps conveniently for the team, Wiggins was injured and couldn't defend his title...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

This wasn't the dilemma I thought the thread would be discussing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement