Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing new (to me) car

• 31-07-2018 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi today i have bought used car that have it's tax expired month ago. I have signed logbook and seller have sent it away, so it will take week or two before ownership is transferred to me.

I am wondering is it possible to tax the car before i will receive logbook back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Hi today i have bought used car that have it's tax expired month ago. I have signed logbook and seller have sent it away, so it will take week or two before ownership is transferred to me.

I am wondering is it possible to tax the car before i will receive logbook back?

Hope you put down tomorrow’s date! Keep an eye on motortax.ie for change of ownership. Once it’s been processed you can request a pin to tax it.

Therefore you can tax it without the logbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Hope you put down tomorrow’s date! Keep an eye on motortax.ie for change of ownership. Once it’s been processed you can request a pin to tax it.

Therefore you can tax it without the logbook.

Why tomorrow's date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Why tomorrow's date?

You will have to pay for the month of July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why tomorrow's date?

1st of August. You will be liable for the month of July when you pay the tax.

Go to Motor tax and check for the change of ownership to appear.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeVehicleDetails.do

Then you can request a PIN and pay the tax

https://www.motarviews.ie/forgot-pin-ui/faces/getDetails.jspx?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

If you did sign today's date then go into the tax office to tax it. Tell them you bought it today and you haven't driven it, there is a form to sign to say you haven't driven the car on the road and means you won't have to pay for July's tax. Why should you pay it if it wasn't in your possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jimbis wrote: »
    If you did sign today's date then go into the tax office to tax it. Tell them you bought it today and you haven't driven it, there is a form to sign to say you haven't driven the car on the road and means you won't have to pay for July's tax. Why should you pay it if it wasn't in your possession.

It needs to be in his name first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

One can do it online as well. https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How did they move the car? It's unfortunate that they didn't lie and say the OP bought the car tomorrow but what's done is done and they'll need to pay tax for the month they bought and used the car in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    How did they move the car? It's unfortunate that they didn't lie and say the OP bought the car tomorrow but what's done is done and they'll need to pay tax for the month they bought and used the car in.

OP never said he used the car already. He only said he bought it.

And yes - it can be done online - to declare car off the road for July within 21 days from purchase date.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Keep an eye on the status of the changeover on Motortax.ie When you see that the change has taken place, log in to Motortax.ie and they will email you a pin no. You can then tax the car on line. Whole process should take no longer than 4 days. (Speaking from experience )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

to put it more correctly, you would be declaring the car off the road for one day of July and then taxing it from 1st August, you have a few days to do so after transfer of ownership. Naturally that assumes it hasn't been driven on the road after sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Isambard wrote: »
    to put it more correctly, you would be declaring the car off the road for one day of July and then taxing it from 1st August, you have a few days to do so after transfer of ownership. Naturally that assumes it hasn't been driven on the road after sale.

Anyone know if car can be declared of the road online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone know if car can be declared of the road online?

Yes.

Advertisement