Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to the states...

Options
  • 31-07-2018 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Myself and my family are considering moving to the states, my wife is from there and we`ve been back and fourth over the last few years visiting family.

Over the last few visits(years), our kids have grown up and found it harder to leave there, as we have...we feel that there`s more there for us and that we`ll be happier there, but making that MOVE decision has been talked about between both sides,(us and family in the states) to the point that we`re almost ready to make it happen....

For me, I`m a home bird, my wife moved from the states to live with me (before kids) 18 years ago, I feel this could be a new start for us all, but I`m pooping it....should I just say yes, lets do it!?!?!?

My question here is, has anyone else been in a similar situation and made the move...how was it...did it live up to your expectations...did anything go wrong...etc..

This is a major decision for us all, I just want it to be the right decision...

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lewis wrote:
    This is a major decision for us all, I just want it to be the right decision...

First thing to do is move this from ah or face the consequences. Best of luck with your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I agree with Wanderer.

Get on to an expat forum. Google it. They will help enormously.

AH will just be, well AH. Best of luck. But then again you could be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you have jobs lined up go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Didn't work out too well for that poor fella from Limerick who married the barbie nanny

Just sayin'.............be careful OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have family who moved to the US and stayed there 20+ years & 30+. One couple came back when their kids were mid and late teens, as they did not like the education standards over there, or the costs of college. It took the kids a lot of time and effort to catch up with their peers here but all now have Masters or PhDs. Another couple came back in their late 50s because they felt the US was no place to grow old and having worked in the hospital service they did not want to be retired, old and ill under the US system.
    I know others who moved there and have never looked back.

It's your call and only you and your family know what's right for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    First thing to do is move this from ah or face the consequences. Best of luck with your decision
    What he said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Where in the States?

No joke, but I would be personally worried about my kids in school where they can be shot to death.

High medical insurance and co payments.

Drinking and driving is accepted.

Very high property taxes.

I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Makes it all the worse seeing as you can never come back.

Life is hard when you have choices.... damn choices.

Im off to have either a bowl of coco pops or frosties! cant decide either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You've come to the right place OP for reasoned advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Surely get the kids to college here first, or you and they will be broke for life.

No joke, but I would be personally worried about my kids in school where they can be shot to death.

Only thing that will stop a bad kid with a gun is a good kid with an even bigger gun. Buy them all Uzis. Simples.

Insurance is expensive. But get a dacent job and good insurance and you'll have low co-pays.

Well that is kinda true. At least socially. Although community service for killing an ould fella and running across two cops in the US after driving while pissed....you're more than likely going to have to see point 1 about Uzis if ya wanna walk away from that one

Property tax keeps price of houses relatively steady. Can at least dampen down bubbles. You're just paying the government a slice of what you would have otherwise paid the owner of the house anyway.

I don't know.

Ah sure neither do I

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Best thing about USA is the roads OP. No messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The United States forum in the Travel section has lots of posters with similar backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Go for it!

OP, on a slightly different topic, being married to a yank, I assume your kids have yanks passports.

In case anyone here wants to get themselves an oul' yank passport and emigrate, any chance ya might have a hot legal-aged daughter?

No harm asking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Would love to see Freeway Jim getting stuck in to the Mulranney to Bangor Erris road on busy Tuesday morning.

US has the best and bigliest President

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Well I also wonder what is the appropriate age up to which we're happy to move country ?
    For example I was less than 30 when I moved here - and it was easy (and no other family around, but the two of us). But now looking at it with more mature eyes, I am not sure it would have been as easy to move in my forties, or towards fifties even ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Their freeways and bridges are falling apart, chronic underfunding has left the road network in a terrible state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

I don't know.

It's more likely ill win Mr Universe than your children being shot dead in a school shooting. get a grip!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I moved 18 years ago, ended up in California. (Likely relocating to Texas in a few months, CA isn’t what it used to be). 25, $2,500in my pocket, and a one way ticket. I would submit that fear of making a mistake is a poor reason to not go. Such a fear is always going to be present, as will the “what if” if you don’t.

Nobody can promise you a better life in the US (especially if you don’t have retirement figured out), but I presume with your US connections and visits, you have a reasonable idea as to what you are in for. You have obviously talked about it, considered it, and still think that there is enough behind it that you have not rejected the idea.

I fly back to Ireland routinely, it’s good to see friends and family and the old homestead. I cannot at this time imagine a reason I would leave the US and relocate back to Ireland, though. This place works for me.

Bottom line. Fear of making a mistake is a terrible reason not to do something. Make your decision on the pros and cons, then dive into it with the fullest expectation and intent that it will work out.

It's more likely ill win Mr Universe than your children being shot dead in a school shooting. get a grip!

I'm sure many a parent in US thought that, but they were left with coffins with their little children in them just the same.

Apart from anything else, Trump would do me in now. There is no way I could support that total moron.

But there's your answer, many do support him sadly. I have higher standards than that TBH.

Apart from anything else, Trump would do me in now. There is no way I could support that total moron.

Oi. Feck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Where in the States?

VA.

There roads and just general space for cars is great, way better than here.

First figure out if you can afford private schools and first-class health insurance, and if the answer is no to either of those questions then consider your position very carefully.

I moved 18 years ago, ended up in California. (Likely relocating to Texas in a few months, CA isn’t what it used to be). 25, $2,500in my pocket, and a one way ticket. I would submit that fear of making a mistake is a poor reason to not go. Such a fear is always going to be present, as will the “what if” if you don’t.

Nobody can promise you a better life in the US (especially if you don’t have retirement figured out), but I presume with your US connections and visits, you have a reasonable idea as to what you are in for. You have obviously talked about it, considered it, and still think that there is enough behind it that you have not rejected the idea.

I fly back to Ireland routinely, it’s good to see friends and family and the old homestead. I cannot at this time imagine a reason I would leave the US and relocate back to Ireland, though. This place works for me.

Bottom line. Fear of making a mistake is a terrible reason not to do something. Make your decision on the pros and cons, then dive into it with the fullest expectation and intent that it will work out.

Thanks a lot for your reply, it really is how we're feeling about it, mainly me cause I've not experienced this big a move before. I'll take on board what you've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Put it this way OP, you can always come back, but you’ll be a long time wondering “what if” if you don’t go.

Or as my dad would say. Live for now, you’ll be a long time dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why would you want to live in that shithole?

If you want to move thats one thing, but why would you want to live in a racist shithole with effectively no social protections?

Advertisement