Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card use.

Options
  • 31-07-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Hi
    When using a credit card abroad in a non Eurozone country should I be opting to pay in the local currency or should I ask the retailer to charge me in Euro?
    Which is cheaper?
    Also do all retailers have the facility to change a charge to Euro?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,570 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Always cheaper in the local currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Retailer will always ask / suggest that you pay in the currency of the card 

They get 1% commission .

Exchange provider gets 2% and uses a bad exchange rate that's about 3% off mid point 

Guess who pays that 6%? 

Yep, the customer.

Standard commission from main banks is about 1.75% and the exchange rate is very close to mid rate.

Net difference is about 4%

So always pay in local currency and refuse attempts by the retailer to charge euro equivalent .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Thanks folks for the replies. You’ve been very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have you looked at Revolut? Very handy if you're paying for food and drinks etc. Might be more safety in using credit card if you're making big purchases and need the protection from credit card. Otherwise Revolut is great. No 'non-euro' transaction fees and a better exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

johnire wrote: »
    Hi
    When using a credit card abroad in a non Eurozone country should I be opting to pay in the local currency or should I ask the retailer to charge me in Euro?
    Which is cheaper?
    Also do all retailers have the facility to change a charge to Euro?
    Thanks

Hi johnire,

Thanks for your post.

I can see you've had some helpful replies above on this and if you've any further questions, please let us know.

Tara

• Advertisement
Advertisement