Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noveight moving weights

• 01-08-2018 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭

I used to put a decent shift in at the gym but lost interest and haven't been a regular since maybe February or March. Got the motivation yesterday to get off my arse once again and decided to commit to Hanley's infamous programme for the next 10-12 weeks. Here's the plan for now...

Monday - Bench
    Bench Press 5x8
    Incline DB Press 5x8
    Military DB Press 5x8
    Tricep Pushdown 4x12
    Skullcrushers 4x12

Wednesday - Squat
    Squat 5x8
    Front Squat 5x8
    Lunges 5x8
    Leg Press 4x12
    Leg Extension 4x12

Friday - Dead Lift
    Deadlift 5x8
    Rows 5x8
    RDL's 5x8
    Barbell rows 4x12
    Hamstring curls 4x12

If anyone sees an opportunity for a better balance or approach go ahead and shout, folks :) I'll be following the weekly progressions suggested in the OP, but for now it's early days and tbh I'm just happy to be back in the gym with a positive feeling about it.

A few stats to kick us off, I'll update as I go.

31-07-2018
    Height - 5'9
    Weight - 14 st 5¾ lbs.
    1RM Bench Press - 90kg
    1rm squat - 110kg
    1rm dead lift -
    Max push-ups - 26

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Tuesday 31-07-18 : Bench Press

I'm a day late kicking off so it's bench day on a Tuesday. Figured out my 1RM is 90kg before I got started. Here was the hit list today...

Bench press 5x8 @ 70% of 1RPM - 65kg
    Dumbbell incline press 5x8 - 18, 16, 14, 14, 12
    Dumbbell military press 5x8 - 10, 10, 8, 8, 8
    Rope pushdown 4x12 - 45, 35, 25, 25
    Dumbbell Skullcrushers 4x12 - 12, 12, 12, 12,

Considering it was my first time lifting in a good number of weeks I think I should have allowed myself more time to get through the bench pressing, was pretty shagged after the first 3-4 sets. Day 1 down, already feels good to be back in the saddle.

Tomorrow is Wednesday so I'll pop in then and let ye know how the squats go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Personally, I'd have bench on the Wednesday, leaving at least two days rest for the legs between squats and deadlift. However, you're only doing one pull from the floor on Fridays so that probably wouldn't be an issue anyway.

Wednesday 1-8-18 : Squat

Back once again. First day of squat work done.

Squat 5x8 (@70%; of 1RM) - 80kg
    Goblet squat 5x8 - 20 20 20 20 20
    Lunges 5x8 - 22 22 20 20 20
    Leg Press 4x12 - 73 82 82 73
    Leg Extension 4x12 - 43 43 34 34

Firstly figured my 1RM squat is 110. To the experienced eye those numbers probably look all over the shop. Admittedly, in the past I never would’ve pushed legs too hard so this evening was a lot of experimenting. Busy gym and only 1 bar so I swapped out front squats for goblets. Walked out of the place like a newborn Bambi so I’m surely doing something right... :D

Roll on dead lifting Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’d probably drop the rows from ABC and maybe do them on E.
    Although rows are great, the program states Deadlift type excersises for the mains. Rdl, single leg rdl, straight leg deadlift, rack pulls, paused 1”off the floor DL, paused at knee, snatch grip DL, glute and hip hinge excersises would be more appropriate. And as stated, bench press in between squat and deadlifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’d probably drop the rows from ABC and maybe do them on E.
    Although rows are great, the program states Deadlift type excersises for the mains. Rdl, single leg rdl, straight leg deadlift, rack pulls, paused 1”off the floor DL, paused at knee, snatch grip DL, glute and hip hinge excersises would be more appropriate. And as stated, bench press in between squat and deadlifts

I disagree.

The intent is that they be a compound exercise that works an element of the A. It doesnt have to be a hip hinge movement, as such. Heavyish rows for lat strength will serve your deadlift well.

So I see no issue with running it for 6 weeks with rows and a hip hinge movement as B and C.

• Advertisement

I disagree.

The intent is that they be a compound exercise that works an element of the A. It doesnt have to be a hip hinge movement, as such. Heavyish rows for lat strength will serve your deadlift well.

So I see no issue with running it for 6 weeks with rows and a hip hinge movement as B and C.

The only reason I said it was because my advice was the same advice I was given when I ran the program. In saying that, I don’t see any harm strengthening the back to improve deadlifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The only reason I said it was because my advice was the same advice I was given when I ran the program. In saying that, I don’t see any harm strengthening the back to improve deadlifts

I wouldn't have thought two heavyish hip hinge movements one after the other would be entirely productive. If i suggested that previously I was wrong.

I wouldn't have thought two heavyish hip hinge movements one after the other would be entirely productive. If i suggested that previously I was wrong.

No no it wasn’t you that advised it!

Friday 3-8-18 : Deadlift

First things first I got my 1RM for the deadlift. Got up to 100kg before my form started slipping so that’s that. I learned that my flexibility through my knees and hips needs improving so I’ll be working on that in the coming weeks.

Deadlift - 5x8 @70% of 1RM - 70kg
    Rows - 5x8 - 125,125,125,115,115lbs
    RDL - 5x8 - 70,70,60,60
    Barbell row - 4x12 - 50,50,40,40
    Hamstring curls - 4x12 - 20,20,20,20

That’s week 1 done and all my starting numbers in the book. Thanks for the tips lads, I’ll move benching to Wednesday next week and bring squats forward :) really enjoying the simplicity of this plan.

Advertisement