Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"This content is not available in your location" Workaround?

Options
  • 01-08-2018 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I want to listen to a BBC Radio 3 interview at this https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b09k6t75 link.

I get the message, "This content is not available.....".

I've tried an Incognito window in Google Chrome, but it didn't work.

Is there a workaround that will work?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

You will need a VPN. Check the bargain alerts section as there were some great deals there recently on VPN services. If it’s just radio a free service “might” work as it would use very little data but might not be that reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Drive up north? Fly to the location?

Or yes, use a vpn if you don't want adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭atilladehun

you should be able to podcast that later today, once the broadcast is over. I just downloaded the Henry Blofeld episode. Music is shortened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

A quick Google (on Firefox) seems to indicate that most VPNs are for Chrome. Why is this?

I installed this one https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/betternet-unlimited-free/gjknjjomckknofjidppipffbpoekiipm?hl=en

...and chose United Kingdom. But, no joy. The BBC site still sees that I'm not UK based. Why is this?

Also, when installing it says that a VPN can "see" all my browsing details. Is this only when I'm using Chrome? (I would only be using Chrome when using the VPN) or can the VPN see what I'm doing in Firefox or Edge?

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The BBC Radio app isn’t geoblocked so you can listen to it on that. Just checked and it’s available.

• Advertisement

you should be able to podcast that later today, once the broadcast is over. I just downloaded the Henry Blofeld episode. Music is shortened though.

The broadcast for the recording I want was last year.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Working for me. AFAIK BBC don't geoblock radio, but you need an account for the BBC site. There are several places you cam listen, like tunein or rad.io. I often listen to BBC R5 in the early hours on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not all vpn works so try one with a week's trial or a smart dns like getflix works out cheap. You'll also get iplayer & netflix USA if that interests you

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Working for me. AFAIK BBC don't geoblock radio, but you need an account for the BBC site. There are several places you cam listen, like tunein or rad.io. I often listen to BBC R5 in the early hours on a phone.

Thanks.

Just to be clear.......

I am signed-in to my BBC account, and that free VPN is enabled.

But, I'm getting the "...content not available..." message.

So, what are you doing differently to me? Are you using a different VPN?

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'm not using a VPN, but I am using a Chrome plugin called beebs

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I'm not using a VPN, but I am using a Chrome plugin called beebs

Brilliant!

Working now.

Thanks! :p

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I also suggest to get a vpn. Try New VPN Master Free. This vpn supports all the major protocols and works fast. I just connect through an IP address of a country that has access to the geo-blocked content. You can load it from chillandchat.com service by the way. Good vpn in overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

oh sorry didn't see that the problem is solved

Advertisement