Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iroko countertop

Options
  • 01-08-2018 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've recently purchase some old school iroko science countertops.
    My plan is to sand them down and install them in my kitchen. I'm hoping to keep some of the scratches and scribbling that the former students have etched into the wood out of boredom so I don't want to sand down too far but would like to have a clean and smooth finish on it (Minus the parts that have Johnno loves Becka etched into them)

So I think I have a pretty good grasp of the basics, sand it down with an orbital sander (I know these can be a bit harsher than a regular sander) and apply a finish.
    The finish is whats got me worried. I don't want a sheen on it. In fact I prefer if it was a matte finish. I'm assuming that tung or linseed oil is the way to go but I'm concerned with how well it will cope with water.

Can anyone recommend a way forward or even confirm if oiling the countertop will be enough.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Oil will be plenty good with Iroko, there is a recent thread here with advice on oiling and sanding worktops, if you follow it , unlike the op of that thread you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A random orbital sander is by far the best but you can start with 120 grit and work up to 240 or even 320 grit. Keep the windows open - the dust is like pepper :pac: All the finishing oils will work - the trick is to put on a few thin layers . wiping off between coats - have a bit of patience, the job could take a week to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

recipio wrote: »
    A random orbital sander is by far the best but you can start with 120 grit and work up to 240 or even 320 grit. Keep the windows open - the dust is like pepper :pac: All the finishing oils will work - the trick is to put on a few thin layers . wiping off between coats - have a bit of patience, the job could take a week to do.

I've read that mixing the oil with spirits waters down the oil but makes it easier to spread evenly.
    Has anyone tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

seannash wrote: »
    I've read that mixing the oil with spirits waters down the oil but makes it easier to spread evenly.
    Has anyone tried this?

Its generally not recommended All oils, including boiled linseed oi have a chemical drier in them which can interfere with the spirits. If you want to thin the oil its ok to heat it a little in a saucepan - but be careful not to overheat.Rub it in with some green scouring pads and wipe off. Leave a day between coats.Spread out any rags as they can self ignite if left rolled up.

Advertisement