Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a "Booklet of Title" needed when purchasing a second hand home.

Options
  • 01-08-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I am buying a house and there has been delay in conveyancing as the seller does not have the "Booklet of Title". 
    As far as I can see, a booklet of title is imperative to have when purchasing a new build but I am purchasing a second hand property. 

Are the solicitors correct with this delay for the "Booklet of Title"?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The booklet of title is proof that the person selling you the house actually owns it so Im not surprised the solicitor is insisting on it, they are doing a good job for you. Also if you have a mortgage then your solicitor is going to be certifying good title to the bank- they cannot do this if they cannot establish good title of which the booklet of title is integral. Hence the bank wont release the funds until they have a solicitors certificate. There is a possibility a solicitor could accept a certified copy of it should one exist, ask them about this.

But if the Booklet of Title remains missing and the vendors solicitor cannot find it then you should be prepared for the possibility of the deal falling apart. Keep looking at other properties in case this happens, dont put all your eggs in one basket and be prepared to move on if necessary because a bank wont accept lending money on a property with dodgy title and nor will a solicitor certify dodgy title.

Advertisement