Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Forum

Options
  • 01-08-2018 11:33am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Hello. I don't know if this is the right place. I'll provide more detail if so but to begin, there's a problem on the GAA forum with moderation. Some of the mods are blocking topics that they do not like or is causing them too much hassle. I understand that the mods are not paid and it's not a fun job but the topics they are blocking are important topics in the GAA world.
    Isn't the whole point of boards.ie to have discussion on topics of interest to you and discuss them with others who have similar interests? Here's the post from one mod which restricted the discussion of many valid topics:

The moderators and many other posters are getting tired with silly bickering breaking out on many threads and it taking those threads so far off topic.

So if you want to discuss county funding or how the GAA should change, moan about the fact that your county gets a hard time in the draw, that the GAA fixtures are clashing with any sporting event etc etc etc, it goes here. If is a moan or complaint, it goes here.

Anyone taking other threads off topic, or taking points of view from this into other threads and cross thread posting will be carded and/or banned. Anybody soapboxing in other threads will be banned and a limited amount allowed on here

Now I don't know who is reading this but county funding, how the GAA should change, discussion on draws and fixtures are huge issues in the GAA. What is the justification on putting them in a sticky that not many people read?
    It was originally called something like 'supermoan thread' but was later changed.
    If the mods like the one who created the thread are sick of modding these topics which are key to the GAA, then maybe they should reconsider their position as mod of the GAA forum? As I said, it's an unpaid and tough job but, maybe leave it to someone who wants to do it?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For ease of reference the thread you are referring to is here

Reading the OP written by the mod it's quite clear to me that have seen this sort of discussion take place in various threads and decided to bring it all together in a superthread, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. These are not club/county specific issues and it makes sense to encourage the wider Boards GAA community to engage in discussion on these matters

Now my experience is posters generally want popular topics like this stickied as it makes it a lot easier for many to firstly know there is a superthread and secondly find it

I'm unsure what your issue is here - the mods are facilitating discussion in a single thread (and certainly not "blocking" any topics with this initiative). What's the problem with that?

As a matter of routine I would normally ask if you have discussed your concerns with the local mods, and that remains the first avenue. Having said that, as you will note from my comments above, I'm struggling to understand exactly what the issue is here

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

It's clear the thread was set up becaused the mod in question had gotten fed up of doing her job. As I said, it's a ****ty job and unpaid but leave it to someone who wants to do it if you're fed up with it. It was called the supermoan thread and it's stuck at the top, this means it doesn't get much traffic. This can be seen by the small amount of views the thread has got. It clearly stifles debate and since it's a thread just for moaning, it doesn't really entice posters to it.

The topics that were banned from being discussed elsewhere, all deserve a thread of their own or at least be a part of other threads. Why shouldn't changes in the GAA be discussed? What's wrong with talking about draws or other fixture issues? Shouldn't funding have a thread of it's own? Well actually there was a thread for funding: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107187085
    Mods said that the funding topic should be consigned to this thread and that rule was followed. No one broke that rule.
    For some reason, the mod who created the supermoan thread, closed this thread and banned debate on the topic. I believe the mod in question was going on a solo run, excuse the pun.

So my issue is clear. On the GAA forum you should be allowed to discuss GAA topics. They shouldn't be consigned to a moan thread and they should be put with all the other topics up for discussion.

Oh and I have discussed this with a mod. I'm not sure if they agreed with my point of view but were unable to change anything.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As far as I can see there has been no banning of topics. Discussion is permitted - why do you feel discussing within superthreads amongst fans of various clubs/counties is not appropriate?

Please feel free to discuss topics, just where appropriate please discuss them in thread(s) reserved for them

I explained that above. The supermoan thread is segregated. I don't know why that should be encouraged. Maybe you could ask the mod in question if they actually want to continue to mod the GAA forum. They seem uninterested.
    Discussion of important topics should be encouraged, the opposite is the case currently.

• Advertisement

I am seeing nothing here requiring further action except for your sly dig at the moderator there. I would suggest that if you wish to continue contributing to this site you take a look at your posting style and avoid going out of your way to wind others up.

Just to add, I note you are currently disputing a mod action in the GAA forum. I'm closing this thread pending resolution of that appeal. Please drop me a line if you wish it to be re-opened after that appeal is dealt with

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement