Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future of Ryanair

• 01-08-2018 12:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

How much of a lasting effect will these strikes have on people once they're finally over? And do the unions have Ryanair by the balls now?

Was that first step they made in December, to recognise unions, the beginning of the end?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

How much of a lasting effect will these strikes have on people once they're finally over? And do the unions have Ryanair by the balls now?

I suppose people will still expect to pay next to nothing for flights. As long as Ryanair keep providing that they'll keep going.

I don't fly with them though. I would rather fly with aer lingus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ryanair must be losing millions in revenue. I'd have no massive concerns about booking with them, as I did last week for a trip to Portugal in September, but I know a friend of mine said he's happier to pay an extra €90 to book with Aer Lingus for a trip to England he's planning.

When it comes to travel, this sh!t unsettles people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Their future is in the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ryanair will end up charging only slightly less than AL for a flight.

I only fly Ryanair because it’s cheap simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Ryanair must be losing millions in revenue.

They were producing great financial performance during pilots strike last year, and finished with higher revenue than year before. I'm sure they will not loose this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

People tend to have short memories though.
    They'll be hauling in record profits once again no doubt.
    No one else offers the low fares and destination range like them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

I heard O'Leary mentioned that he's considering moving jobs to Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think Ryanair has got too big,with too many hubs around Europe.The cockup with the staff holiday rostering last year really showed this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Last summer our family flew with RA.
    This summer we flew with Easyjet....for no reason other than they had a better deal.

But next summer I would be more inclined to avoid RA if this continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Thing is, what's between Ryanair and the unions is quite little in monetary terms. The crux is the company are only paying lip service to union recognition. They don't want a situation where employees have a recognised way of dealing with issues. Much better from the company's point of view to have a constant state of fear amongst the staff as is the case in many non-unionised companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Apart from loss of revenue, it shouldn't have any lasting effect in terms of people avoiding RA. Low fares + short memories are a powerful combo. Plus, I think air travel is a bit like Donald Trump shooting someone in Times Square and getting away with it. Airlines can get away with a lot of shít and people will still come back and throw money at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Big sale will be announced and all those bashing RA will rush to book...i'm bias always fly with RA. Cheap and cheerful.. well not cheerful but cheap.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Do people remember the price of flights before ryanair? They're good for something.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Do people remember the price of flights before ryanair? They're good for something.
    Only because they kept the greedy unions out. As well as the travels agents.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I think they might struggle for a while, maybe permanently. Norwegian air will take over Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ryanair will end up charging only slightly less than AL for a flight.

You got it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

So long as he goes himself = Good result .

Only because they kept the greedy unions out.

Ha. Ha. Ha, Micheál.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Never had any issue with Ryanair, found there flights fine, staff friendly and helpful, reasonably priced too.

I would book them over Aer Lingus most of the time, I have an upcoming flight but with the issues at the moment, mainly from what I can see is piss poor management of staff and ongoing strikes I had to choose Aer Lingus.

From looking at the management side of how this situation has gone down, it's just been let get wildly out of control. If it eats into profits then staff on the front line will loss there jobs simple as that really. However, management have a serious question to answer as to how it's been allowed get to this stage and I would say more is to come.

I'm not even sure the management are even fighting with the unions they seem hell bent on a fight with staff on the front line and that seems to be escalating the situation quite rapidly.

It seems the management at the top have had it too good for this long, seem to lack communication skills but for what they lack there in communication skills they make up for in stirring the **** with the staff.

MOL needs to get the top of his house in order from what I can see and get some upper management that know how to talk with staff and reason with them and make the adjustments or work to help them and not to be coming out with lines saying they will be sacking people, that's never going to go down well to be honest.

• Advertisement

A bit like his "We're reducing flights from Dublin because of the unions" propaganda last week, when everybody knows Ryanair always reduces the number of flights at the end of the summer. The amount of pathetic union-scapegoating spin from O'Leary and his elves in medialand, all hungry for Ryanair advertising, is ferocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the state should seize control of Ryanair and give it to Sinn Fein to run.

The ironic thing is that the US airline on which Ryanair modelled itself (Southwest ?) is itself a unionised company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Michael O'Leary is a top bloke, I'm sure he'll sort out this nonsense. I'll keep flying Ryanair.

The ironic thing is that the US airline on which Ryanair modelled itself (Southwest ?) is itself a unionised company.

Like almost all of the US aviation industry.

And militant.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Hmm ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrjySOFLXgg&t=115s

I'd imagine unions aren't as greedy over in the U.S. Just in the same way car insurance companies charge about 5 times the price over here. In the U.S, the government is kept further away from company affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd imagine unions aren't as greedy over in the U.S. Just in the same way car insurance companies charge about 5 times the price over here. In the U.S, the government is kept further away from company affairs.

Working out well for many workers across many sectors isn't it, reduces inequality, generally improves the well being of all citizens, creates a very stable society?

• Advertisement

I can assure you in the aviation business in the US they defend their patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Cordell

Siding with the employees when they are against the employer, that I can understand. Siding with the union when you're being used as a bargaining chip, no so much.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Working out well for many workers across many sectors isn't it, reduces inequality, generally improves the well being of all citizens, creates a very stable society?
    The only reason I'd join one is because I'm so lazy that I'd get fired otherwise.

So go figure why they're bad for the company!

Also, as far as I know, it's mandatory for a lot of employees to join a union as soon as they're hired. So they're basically been robbed. This also means that unions can afford to be lazy.

Also, as far as I know, it's mandatory for a lot of employees to join a union as soon as they're hired. So they're basically been robbed. This also means that unions can afford to be lazy.

It's mandatory to join a union as a Ryanair employee or an employee in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hopefully a resolution will come soon.

branie2 wrote: »
    Hopefully a resolution will come soon.

it ll probably get much nastier before a resolution, but that probably will eventually happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You had to head to the north wall if it wasn't for Ryanair never forget that

The greatest Irish business success story and we all benefited from it

Ryanair opened up the world to us

The elite hated them for that and still do

Cordell wrote: »
    Siding with the employees when they are against the employer, that I can understand. Siding with the union when you're being used as a bargaining chip, no so much.

I actually don't understand what that means.

It's mandatory to join a union as a Ryanair employee or an employee in general?
    Hence my use of the word "robbed".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

Free flights for anyone on the scratcher! It might last til Christmas, but I doubt it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I heard O'Leary mentions clickbait at every possible opportunity to get the brand into the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Up the RA?

enricoh wrote: »
    Free flights for anyone on the scratcher! It might last til Christmas, but I doubt it
    Christmas, that's very optimistic.

You had to head to the north wall if it wasn't for Ryanair never forget that

The greatest Irish business success story and we all benefited from it

The elite hated them for that and still do

has everyone truly benefited from it, has potentially treating employees with disrespect truly benefited us all?

has everyone truly benefited from it, has potentially treating employees with disrespect truly benefited us all?

Yes we benefited from it think of how it was before the monopoly was smashed

Are they forced at gunpoint to work for Ryanair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The world?? :) I never knew RA flew to New York,Perth,Rio,Bangkok,Abu Dhabi etc etc

In reality they fly to Europe,and alot of those airports are in the middle of no-where.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

He should just sack the lot of them and deal with the WRC fallout.

The world?? :) I never knew RA flew to New York,Perth,Rio,Bangkok,Abu Dhabi etc etc

In reality they fly to Europe,and alot of those airports are in the middle of no-where.

They got us off the island on the cheap opened us up to new cultures and experiences and made us think what sort of place we were living in

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Before Ryanair, a return flight to/from London used to cost your monthly take home pay. Well, mine anyway, as it was then.

Maybe the younger folk here are not aware of this.

Having said that, O'Leary was publicly disparaging of many of his staff (particularly the pilots). It was nasty, needless and pointless and I suspect he is paying the price for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Are they forced at gunpoint to work for Ryanair?

They're so entitled, looking for better conditions and pay.

Achasanai wrote: »
    They're so entitled, looking for better conditions and pay.

Work for the competition then

• Advertisement
Advertisement