Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future of Ryanair

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

zom wrote: »
    "Random" seating is the first comes to my mind. Everyone knows it splits people for purpose. So now you have to wait as long as possible before you do online check-in to minimize distant you will get split.

What do you think are the odds that, if you book one seat on a 175-seater aircraft, that the second seat that you book will be adjacent to it?

I usually fly by myself, so if Ryanair charging people who want to sit together keeps the fares lower for people like me, I am all for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

El Tarangu wrote: »
    What do you think are the odds that, if you book one seat on a 175-seater aircraft, that the second seat that you book will be adjacent to it?

I usually fly by myself, so if Ryanair charging people who want to sit together keeps the fares lower for people like me, I am all for it.

Quite right - just off two flights Saturday, not a bother either way. Picked seat, paid 3 quid each way for it, happy days.

If I wasn't arsed about getting an aisle seat then I'd forego the charge.

Incidentally, I was asked to switch so love's young dream could sit together - swopping from 32D to 14B. My hoop I'll swop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

El Tarangu wrote: »

Slim to begin with, but my final few flights with the airline I waited until the last moment to check in and sure enough had us at either end of the plane despite seats in 2 and 3 a plenty. And I'm hardly an isolated case.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Earleybird wrote: »
    Slim to begin with, but my final few flights with the airline I waited until the last moment to check in and sure enough had us at either end of the plane despite seats in 2 and 3 a plenty. And I'm hardly an isolated case.

Another racket, I believe as I don't fly them myself, is the scratch cards allegedly in aid of some charity. The charity gets a tiny percentage of sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I just found there is app for seats swapping, not sure if it works on Ryanair thou:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3362316/Forget-stuck-row-plane-new-app-allows-pay-swap-SEATS-passengers.html

In your face Michael!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

zom wrote: »

I just found there is app for seats swapping, not sure if it works on Ryanair thou:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3362316/Forget-stuck-row-plane-new-app-allows-pay-swap-SEATS-passengers.html

In your face Michael!!

"An app launching in January 2016 is promising to help flyers find better seats on a plane using a digital marketplace."

Good to see that you're keeping right up to date with the latest apps! I'm sure Michael O'Leary will be impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

zom wrote:
    In your face Michael!!

So you pay someone to swop seats with You...or you could just reserve the seat at booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Ryanair: The full story of the controversial low-cost airline by Siobhan Creaton is a great read.

The people who hate on Ryanair tend to be a bit kooky AAA-PBP nationalise Dell brigade.

I adore Ryanair, going to Brussels and back the end of this month for 60 euro.

Last year I got Ryanair weekend city break flights for Milan, Paris and Munch for the same price as an Aer Lingus flight to Prague one way.

My da always goes on about how Aer Lingus used to cost 700 pounds back in the 90's to go to Amsterdam, if they werent on some form of strike that is.

Ryanair allows me to explore europe cheaply. People who are mad at that are most likely dole bludgers who are mad at anyone going on holiday somehwere.

Another racket, I believe as I don't fly them myself, is the scratch cards allegedly in aid of some charity. The charity gets a tiny percentage of sales.

Just like most charities then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CosmicJay wrote: »
    The people who hate on Ryanair tend to be a bit kooky AAA-PBP nationalise Dell brigade.

previous posts from the posters here criticising ryanair, suggest otherwise, that there are no AAA/PBP types criticising them.
    I adore Ryanair

that's great. in that case, surely you would want them to be a happy company with happy staff and a majority of happy customers? so therefore, you should be supporting the criticisms which are from a good place, surely? as in theory at least, criticism should bring improvements.
    My da always goes on about how Aer Lingus used to cost 700 pounds back in the 90's to go to Amsterdam, if they werent on some form of strike that is.

Aer Lingus's industrial issues and fares from a different time do not give ryanair carte blanche to treat their staff as it is being claimed they do.
    Ryanair allows me to explore europe cheaply. People who are mad at that are most likely dole bludgers who are mad at anyone going on holiday somehwere.

previous posts from the posters criticising ryanair suggest that they don't have an issue with cheap fares. they have an issue with how a company treats their staff, and for some, how that company goes about customer service.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

previous posts from the posters here criticising ryanair, suggest otherwise, that there are no AAA/PBP types criticising them.

How do you know ? Link or evidence please ?
    that's great. in that case, surely you would want them to be a happy company with happy staff and a majority of happy customers? so therefore, you should be supporting the criticisms which are from a good place, surely? as in theory at least, criticism should bring improvements.

No, I don't care two hoots about their working conditions. They have a job, and a good salary - end of in my opinion.
    Aer Lingus's industrial issues and fares from a different time do not give ryanair carte blanche to treat their staff as it is being claimed they do.

Who is claiming this ?
    previous posts from the posters criticising ryanair suggest that they don't have an issue with cheap fares. they have an issue with how a company treats their staff, and for some, how that company goes about customer service.

ALL I care about is cheap fares. I'm old enough to remember paying 300 quid to get to Cork on a very rickety plane. I've just booked six flights to football in October and November (3 returns). Including all taxes, charges and reserved seats on each leg - 175 euro total for all six.

If you have an issue with your terms and conditions, leave - slavery ended some centuries ago.

Ahh now :pac: thats either deliberately disingenuous or woefully oblivious.

Ryanair customers are happy when the flights on time and costs them as little as possible. I don't mind being shoved onto a plane and booted off it as quick and cheaply as possible.

If the staff don't like it don't work there. If you don't like the conditions go elsewhere. Don't go and ruin it for the customers.

The union has crippled Aer Lingus for decades and thats an absolute fact. As soon as the unions got into Ryanair its a strike bonanza. It'll ruin it just like it did Aer Lingus.

Stop being cheap and go fly a different airline. Pay peanuts get monkeys. . . .

I don't care about the staff being treated badly. You get treated badly in a job, bad pay, bad working hours, pity you're chained to working for Ryanair forever. . . . oh wait, get a different job.

If you don't like a job, why stay. Go somewhere where you are wanted.

No, I don't care two hoots about their working conditions.

you might want to start caring tbh. if their conditions aren't good then industrial unrest will continue and possibly get worse. that would not be good for anyone.
    They have a job, and a good salary - end of in my opinion.

what would you base that viewpoint on? other airlines seem to have much much better terms and conditions, meaning those airlines have happy staff and mostly, happy customers. ryanair on the other hand are apparently losing staff to other companies? which if that is the case, i'd suggest that isn't good for business.
    ALL I care about is cheap fares. I'm old enough to remember paying 300 quid to get to Cork on a very rickety plane. I've just booked six flights to football in October and November (3 returns). Including all taxes, charges and reserved seats on each leg - 175 euro total for all six.

again, how things were years ago in a much different environment does not give ryanair carte blanche to behave whichever way it likes.
    If you have an issue with your terms and conditions, leave - slavery ended some centuries ago.

or improve the terms and conditions where you are, as that brings benefits to all workers.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Ahh now thats either deliberately disingenuous or woefully oblivious.

no, it really isn't. having either been in a number of discussions with these posters, or reading their posts over the years i have been here, none of them can be described in my view as supporting AAA or PBP, or as being the type to believe that del should have been nationalised. criticising ryanair doesn't make someone either of those.
    Ryanair customers are happy when the flights on time and costs them as little as possible. I don't mind being shoved onto a plane and booted off it as quick and cheaply as possible.

If the staff don't like it don't work there. If you don't like the conditions go elsewhere. Don't go and ruin it for the customers.

if the staff don't like it, they can improve the terms and conditions, which they are rightly doing. this in turn benefits future staff, meaning more of a benefit has been gained via their action, then likely would have been by them leaving.
    The union has crippled Aer Lingus for decades and thats an absolute fact. As soon as the unions got into Ryanair its a strike bonanza. It'll ruin it just like it did Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus is a vibrant company which is doing well. the union has never crippled them. however industrial relations, from the outside at least, looked to have been quite bad for a time, and that was down to a failure of management to sort out issues. the unions getting into ryanair realistically had little to do with the current stoppages from what i can see, staff by the looks of it were considering downing tools before any union came in . the issues at ryanair were a long time coming from what i can see, it was simply a case of when and not if there were industrial relations issues. ryanair will be perfectly fine, just like Aer Lingus.
    Stop being cheap and go fly a different airline. Pay peanuts get monkeys. . . .

I don't care about the staff being treated badly. You get treated badly in a job, bad pay, bad working hours, pity you're chained to working for Ryanair forever. . . . oh wait, get a different job.

If you don't like a job, why stay. Go somewhere where you are wanted.

i think that you might want to start caring about the staff being treated badly, because them being so will increase industrial relations problems. you after all claim that ryanair will be ruined, so then, the staff being treated better would lessen and even remove industrial relations issues. meaning a happy company and staff. isn't that not what we all want?
    people stay in many jobs for many reasons. however thankfully, some of them believe that staying doesn't mean they should except any old treatment. improving the terms and conditions in one's existing job is the right course of action first before considering leaving for another job, because if terms and conditions are improved it will benefit those within that workplace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0808/983765-ryanair/

Fair dues to Ryanair . A fair old achievement !

Aer Lingus is doing quite well I believe........

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0803/982841-profits-soar-at-aer-lingus-and-parent-group-iag/

Keyboard warrior claptrap. Why don't you hop up and down and go the whole hog and demand the return of indentured servitude and maybe even slavery while you're at it. No doubt it would please you............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

blinding wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0808/983765-ryanair/

Fair dues to Ryanair . A fair old achievement !
    Wasn't there a situation with a U.S airline in the early noughties where the staff striked, and they were all fired.

If Ryanair did that, it'd be a good statement to the staff and would provide for free publicity.

Wasn't there a situation with a U.S airline in the early noughties where the staff striked, and they were all fired.

If Ryanair did that, it'd be a good statement to the staff and would provide for free publicity.

indeed it would be a good statement, and would provide free publicity. however, i'd imagine it wouldn't be the statement or publicity you would be hoping for though.

US President Ronald Reagan sacked 11,000 striking ATC workers who refused to return to work.

There could be Parked Airplanes in the Background just to show how great this idea would be .

Isn’t a lack of Pilots one of Ryanair's big problems at the moment . Sacking those you have wouldn’t be very helpful .

Have you been flying too high lately ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah they should do that ideally but where do the replacement pilots come from?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    US President Ronald Reagan sacked 11,000 striking ATC workers who refused to return to work.

their strike was illegal as air traffic controlers were prohibited from striking by law within the US. which is how he was able to fire them with no consiquences for him specifically.
    google not throwing up anything about a US airline firing staff in the 2000s though, so like you i'm assuming the poster is mixed up with the air traffic controlers strike

their strike was illegal as air traffic controlers were prohibited from striking by law within the US. which is how he was able to fire them with no consiquences for him specifically. google not throwing up anything about a US airline firing staff in the 2000s though, so like you i'm assuming the poster is mixed up with the air traffic controlers strike

How much support do you think RA workers are receiving from those that are being directly affected by the strikes. Looking at a lot of the commentary on RA Facebook ads very little.

indeed it would be a good statement, and would provide free publicity. however, i'd imagine it wouldn't be the statement or publicity you would be hoping for though.
    It would be well worth the blow. The unions are inflexible to the sudden charges O'Leary needs to implement. And any publicity is good as they say.

O'Leary endured plenty of bad, and false, publicity in the late 90s the time Dublin airport closed down for two days.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yeah they should do that ideally but where do the replacement pilots come from?
    Oh yeah, I guess it would be easier if it were baggage handlers!

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    How much support do you think RA workers are receiving from those that are being directly affected by the strikes. Looking at a lot of the commentary on RA Facebook ads very little.

people like to bash others and think they are above others. that will never go away and this situation is no different.
    the same people bashing the ryanair staff on facebook would be crying for our support if they were in the same situation as the ryanair workers.
    It would be well worth the blow. The unions are inflexible to the sudden charges O'Leary needs to implement. And any publicity is good as they say.

O'Leary endured plenty of bad, and false, publicity in the late 90s the time Dublin airport closed down for two days.

considering that it's quite likely they would find it nearly impossible to get staff if they were to go down the route you suggest, i'm not sure how it would be worth the blow?
    unions are perfectly flexible, however they are going to push for the best deal that they can get their members. that is what they are paid for and expected and obligated to do by their members. that's why it's important to have good negotiators on both sides to understand the issues and work together.
    what are these sudden charges that would need to be implemented? sometimes any publicity isn't good publicity.

people like to bash others and think they are above others. that will never go away and this situation is no different.
    the same people bashing the ryanair staff on facebook would be crying for our support if they were in the same situation as the ryanair workers.

considering that it's quite likely they would find it nearly impossible to get staff if they were to go down the route you suggest, i'm not sure how it would be worth the blow?
    unions are perfectly flexible, however they are going to push for the best deal that they can get their members. that is what they are paid for and expected and obligated to do by their members. that's why it's important to have good negotiators on both sides to understand the issues and work together.
    what are these sudden charges that would need to be implemented? sometimes any publicity isn't good publicity.
    I meant flexible in regard to future changes that O'Leary might want to bring in, not present negotiations. He'll have to negotiate with them every time. It could fcuk Ryanair up big time.

I meant flexible in regard to future changes that O'Leary might want to bring in, not present negotiations. He'll have to negotiate with them every time. It could fcuk Ryanair up big time.

if the changes don't negatively effect the workers then they aren't going to care. if the changes do negatively effect the workers then the union are obligated to try and minimize or eliminate those effects via negotiation. that isn't inflexability but simply what the union is paid to do.
    simply negotiating with the union won't fcuk ryanair up. burying heads in the sand and continued industrial unrest and refusing to solve the issues certainly would. as long as each side understands the other and are good at working together and negotiating then if there are any issues nobody will know about it because they will be able to solve them via simple negotiation.
    ryanair will be perfectly fine and will remain as successful as it always has been and will come back from all of this as long as management work with their employees.

if the changes don't negatively effect the workers then they aren't going to care. if the changes do negatively effect the workers then the union are obligated to try and minimize or eliminate those effects via negotiation. that isn't inflexability but simply what the union is paid to do.
    simply negotiating with the union won't fcuk ryanair up. burying heads in the sand and continued industrial unrest and refusing to solve the issues certainly would. as long as each side understands the other and are good at working together and negotiating then if there are any issues nobody will know about it because they will be able to solve them via simple negotiation.
    ryanair will be perfectly fine and will remain as successful as it always has been and will come back from all of this as long as management work with their employees.

I can see the problem right there. Most transport related union leaders are only out for themselves and could not give two shiny s***es for their members or the public.

• Advertisement

[QUOTEG]Resverathrole;107742908]Oh yeah, I guess it would be easier if it were baggage handlers![/QUOTE]
    When you no longer have any Pilots just get the baggage handlers to fly the Planes . Get them on the Case . Michael O’BigMouth can just shout instructions .

You didn't listen to what I said. It not necessarily about the outcome of this crisis.

Once again, O'Leary needs the flexibility that only a non-unionised labour force can provide. Ryanair will be trapped by detailed agreements on wages and conditions that will require negotiations every time O'Leary wants to try something new. Most unions use any change to working habits as a tool to get more money for the staff. Unions are over-paid government bodies and are on cloud cuckoo land.

You didn't listen to what I said. It not necessarily about the outcome of this crisis.

Once again, O'Leary needs the flexibility that only a non-unionised labour force can provide. Ryanair will be trapped by detailed agreements on wages and conditions that will require negotiations every time O'Leary wants to try something new. Most unions use any change to working habits as a tool to get more money for the staff. Unions are over-paid government bodies and are on cloud cuckoo land.
    Not that I really care but I am pretty damn sure that is incorrect .

blinding wrote: »
    Not that I really care but I am pretty damn sure that is incorrect .

It is. They're overpaid private bodies but largely affiliated to opposition parties that will never get in.

i did listen to what you said. it's simply that i don't believe your points stand up when looking at the situation now, and history of, ryanair.
    O'Leary has plenty of flexibility. the type of "flexibility" that a non-unionized labour force supposibly brings is no longer viable for ryanair hence there is now a union. ryanair won't be trapped by anything, it will work perfectly fine and agreements on wages and conditions won't make any difference once everyone works together. unions are not government bodies. government have absolutely nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

It is. They're overpaid private bodies but largely affiliated to opposition parties that will never get in.

What a load of absolute tosh !
    Aer Lingus is just about 100% unionised, when last did they have a strike ? And they're a highly profitable company.
    Can you give one example of a union "largely affiliated to opposition parties that will never get in " ?

• Advertisement

What a load of absolute tosh !
    Aer Lingus is just about 100% unionised, when last did they have a strike ? And they're a highly profitable company.
    Can you give one example of a union "largely affiliated to opposition parties that will never get in " ?

SIPTU

SIPTU

SIPTU has links with the Labour Party. To the extent part of members subs ( unless a member specified otherwise) to SIPTU were given to the Labour Party. Do you remember the make up of the 2011 to '16 government.

Advertisement