Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Win 10 ISO?

Options
  • 01-08-2018 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a Win 10 Pro key and need to download a Win 10 ISO.

I am based in Ireland. Should I download the English or English International ISO?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

You download the creation tool... create the bootable usb / media... then choose the version after you enter the key (it'll display as a list like Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc.)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

verycool wrote: »
    You download the creation tool... create the bootable usb / media... then choose the version after you enter the key (it'll display as a list like Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc.)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It offers the options such as version English or English International too so I'm not sure which to take.

What is the difference between English and English International? I'm guessing it's to do with one being US and the other for outside the US but I'm not sure?

271dabdb4d.JPG

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It offers the options such as version English or English International too so I'm not sure which to take.

What is the difference between English and English International? I'm guessing it's to do with one being US and the other for outside the US but I'm not sure?

My (uneducated) guess would be that it's language support, but as you say you wouldn't need this as you can always install the English IE language pack after install.

Oh.. hang on... discussion on that topic here too!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/difference-in-english-english-international-mcts/faf255ba-b096-4cda-be3e-d88707686c22

EDIT: also from your thread on here from 2015!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057494447

My (uneducated) guess would be that it's language support, but as you say you wouldn't need this as you can always install the English IE language pack after install.

Oh.. hang on... discussion on that topic here too!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/difference-in-english-english-international-mcts/faf255ba-b096-4cda-be3e-d88707686c22

EDIT: also from your thread on here from 2015!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057494447

So English International is the new equivalent of what we used to know as English (UK) or English (British)?

English International would be the correct one for me in that case?

Why the fook don't they just state that?

I'd forgotten about that old post!!

Still, there isn't a definitive black or white answer that I can find to what should be a straight forward question...

• Advertisement

I can download the ISO directly from MS without having to insert a key (not using the tool) as I want the ISO to be usable for other installs.

I assume it will give me the option to insert the key during install?

I'd forgotten about that old post!!

Still, there isn't a definitive black or white answer that I can find to what should be a straight forward question...
    I can download the ISO directly from MS without having to insert a key (not using the tool) as I want the ISO to be usable for other installs.

I assume it will give me the option to insert the key during install?

Quite annoying all right.

But from your screenshot, imagine it was a choice between French or French Canadian. Same dilemma.

Personally I'd just download the English International and then amend it after the install in Region in Control Panel (states that behind the drop down in your screenshot).

When installing Windows 10 you'll be prompted to enter your key.

The difference is just the OS language, keyboard layout etc. Whether pressing shift+2 gives you or " or whatever

You can change it after install, it's not a big deal.

Does the MS MediaCreationTool not let you use an existing ISO file you've downloaded to create a bootable USB drive?

I've just tried it and it insists on downloading Win 10 again to the Flash Drive. It's not asking me to point to my ISO file.

I want to make the ISO I already have bootable.

Does the MS MediaCreationTool not let you use an existing ISO file you've downloaded to create a bootable USB drive?

I've just tried it and it insists on downloading Win 10 again to the Flash Drive. It's not asking me to point to my ISO file.

I want to make the ISO I already have bootable.

Yes. It will download the iso again.

If you want you can use rufus to create the iso yourself.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

• Advertisement

Yes. It will download the iso again.

Forgive my stupidity here but, before it downloads the ISO again it spends quite some time checking the machine you are using and eventually starts the download. What's that all about if the media you want to create is for another machine altogether?

Does it collect drivers or other information from the machine you are creating the media on? What's the point in that if it's meant to be used to install on another machine? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Forgive my stupidity here but, before it downloads the ISO again it spends quite some time checking the machine you are using and eventually starts the download. What's that all about if the media you want to create is for another machine altogether?

Does it collect drivers or other information from the machine you are creating the media on? What's the point in that if it's meant to be used to install on another machine? :confused:
    Possibly you are right, but to me makes no sense - once booted, OS checks, downloads and installs needed drivers.

If you want use .ISO you already have ,and don't want to install rufus(or other) , you can prep(make bootable) USB stick with DISKPART(cmd), extract/mount .iso and copy all content to USB.

The one thing I do like about the MS creation tool is it lets you create 32 & 64bit on the one USB drive.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not being smart but what difference does it makes these days? Well over 10 years since I last encountered a CPU/Machine that wasn't a 64 bit.

For the most part I'd agree with you but there are still plenty of older 32bit machines floating around small offices, I've come across some recently albeit all running Win7.

For the most part I'd agree with you but there are still plenty of older 32bit machines floating around small offices, I've come across some recently albeit all running Win7.
    ...that should probably "floated" out from them offices and replaced with modern PC's...:D

Funnily enough, I used the latest MS media tool (MediaCreationTool 1803) earlier to create A Win 10 installer and during that process it offered English US or English UK in the options whereas the ISO direct download offers English or English International

Don't you just love the consistency? :)

Funnily enough, I used the latest MS media tool (MediaCreationTool 1803) earlier to create A Win 10 installer and during that process it offered English US or English UK in the options whereas the ISO direct download offers English or English International

Don't you just love the consistency? :)
    And hopefully to finalize this ..
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/difference-in-english-english-international-mcts/faf255ba-b096-4cda-be3e-d88707686c22

Advertisement