Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eir connection tomorrow

Options
  • 01-08-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi there everyone.

I was looking for some advice/peace of mind from those of you more accustomed to new connections/network wiring.

Let me try to explain, an engineer is due tomorrow to connect our new house to the Eir box/manhole at the road. There's a conduit/cable run already there for them to use and this terminates in the little side "cabinet" on the outside of the house, down the side.

When the house was built i had them put in an ethernet/CAT5e network. There is a pair of CAT5e cables (unterminated) going from the cabinet outside. on the side of the house, to a "hole in the wall" under the stairs inside. One of these cables is a spare.

In the "hole in the wall" under the stairs there's an additional pair of CAT5e cables (unterminated) that run up to the attic and are terminated to a patch panel which is, in turn. connected to my switch.

I hope this makes sense so far. I suppose my question is, will the engineer be able to plate off the "hole in the wall" under the stairs in such a way so that my ethernet network is "live" and connected to th broadband network. I do see us having he Eir mode/router located under the stairs, btw. Am also happy to provide clarification on any point, if needed. Thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Hi there everyone.

I was looking for some advice/peace of mind from those of you more accustomed to new connections/network wiring.

Let me try to explain, an engineer is due tomorrow to connect our new house to the Eir box/manhole at the road. There's a conduit/cable run already there for them to use and this terminates in the little side "cabinet" on the outside of the house, down the side.

When the house was built i had them put in an ethernet/CAT5e network. There is a pair of CAT5e cables (unterminated) going from the cabinet outside. on the side of the house, to a "hole in the wall" under the stairs inside. One of these cables is a spare.

In the "hole in the wall" under the stairs there's an additional pair of CAT5e cables (unterminated) that run up to the attic and are terminated to a patch panel which is, in turn. connected to my switch.

I hope this makes sense so far. I suppose my question is, will the engineer be able to plate off the "hole in the wall" under the stairs in such a way so that my ethernet network is "live" and connected to th broadband network. I do see us having he Eir mode/router located under the stairs, btw. Am also happy to provide clarification on any point, if needed. Thank you in advance
    Hi simulacra75 ,

Unfortunately, I would be unable to provide clarification on this from here.

I would reccomend contacting our technical support team on 1890 260 260, they would be better equipped to answer there.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

OP,

be afraid, very afraid.  Competence and Eircom are not words that belong in the same sentence.....

M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,524 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Did you get connected today?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 simulacra75

Physical line was run from the road into the outside cabinet at side of house and this was terminated onto 1 of the CAT5e/ethernet cables that go from that cabinet to the "hole in the wall" under the stairs, inside the house. A faceplate was then put onto that, 1 phone line socket and the other appears to have a computer symbol on it.

The 2 guys that installed this insisted that they were only there to install the physical line and the whole setup which i described in my first post would need to be discussed with whomever comes to test/install broadband (due for this Thursday). I have attached a piccie of the faceplate/box they installed. Apologies for the quality, i think my lens was a bit smudged.

Advertisement