Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing a lapsed license Q?.

• 01-08-2018 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I've emailed Commreg about possibly reactivating (if that's possible) a lapsed license but so far I've had no reply back (emailed them a number of times over the last twelve months.

Would anyone here know if that's possible, or point me in the right direction please.

Background, and what I'm doing now.

My background is army signals, which brought me into Ham radio back in the 90's. My interest was always primarily SWL'ing but when I'd be active it was always CW and mostly on 20 & 30mtrs. I was working with CW professionally and it was what I was very comfortable with.

My last shack was a Yeasu FT 902DM, can't remember what I was using for VHF as I wasn't active and only using it to access the DX cluster back then. And for SWL'ing I was using a JRC NRD 535 (replaced an earlier 525, both beautiful rigs).

Bought a new house, no one liked the antenna's. The kids started to grow so I was turfed out of my shack for room etc etc so I become inactive and let the license lapse.

In the last 24 months I got back into SWL'ing with a Tecsun PL-880, but that's sadly died on me and needs replacing. So looking through Adverts and Donedeal and there's little in the way of receivers, so I was thinking if I could reactivate my old license I'd spend the money on a decent transceiver.

My interest is still mainly SWL'ing, I've worked the world many times over on CW on all HF bands so I'm not chasing down that road again (but who knows).

So that was long winded, sorry. Is it possible to reactivate an old license?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

It is the public sector, so you will be better of ringing them or even calling in to their offices!
    I may have a couple of names, but would not want to post them here.

In reality you will get more joy from the IRTS https://www.irts.ie/cgi/st.cgi?applying

To answer your question it appears not, they claim to destroy all records once a licence has lapsed more than 5 years.
    Bottom of page 18: https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/amateur-station-licence-guidelines

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

They may make you do the HAREC test again. Hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cheers, thanks for the replies.

Tbh it wouldn't take a whole lot to stop me in my tracks since my interest was always mostly SWL'ing.

My interest in getting a licence again was because I was looking at buying another receiver and for more or less the same money I could get a transceiver with better specs.
    They may make you do the HAREC test again. Hopefully not.

I got an exemption from the test because of my professional qualifications, I could probably go that route again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Hopefully Comreg will see sense and simply reinstate the call sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

No harm in trying.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Dunno about in EI, but in GI?

I passed my RAE in 1985.

finally got round to contacting the relevant authorities 27 yrs later and got the licence sorted immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,884 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

From that Comreg document...
    22. Licence Duration - All Amateur Station Licences, with the exception of
    temporary assignments, are issued for the lifetime of the Licensee. In
    accordance with the Regulations, all licensees are required to confirm
    to ComReg each and every 5 years through the eLicensing website,
    that their Licence details are up to date and correct.

By their own words, you still have your ticket - just go and get it re-issued.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement