Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Mayo to Galway advice

Options
  • 01-08-2018 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am thinking of buying a house in Mayo but I am working permanently in Galway. Does anyone live near Cross and commute to NUIG side of town such as going over the quincentenial bridge?

I am looking for ideas of good commuter towns that would be the headford to castlebar direction but also open to the other side of Mayo within 1hour commute including traffic.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Cross to NUIG side of Galway would normally take about 50mins to max hour, shouldn't be anymore than that. You can swing a right at the ballindooley crossroads (by the shop) and it will bring you out at the top of dyke road directly across from argos..it takes 10 mins once you take this road to get to the top of argos. During school term i think it saves time than going through the Kirwin roundabout. From argos to NUIG side about another 10 mins. Your going against the traffic so its not bad. Do you do the commute already or is this down to a possible move to Galway?
    If you can avoid as long a commute as possible then do, its better for you long term. If you can reduce it to 40-45mins...its a lot more manageable long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

If im staying in my parents house in Castlebar during the week, I leave at 6 and I am in Shantalla for just before 7

Did the same commute for my Masters a few years ago, it all depends on what time you have to be in Galway at, anytime near 9 and you'll have to give an hour and a half because of traffic in Cloonboo, anytime before 8 and it's just the hour

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Been driving from Cbar to Ballybrit for over 6 yrs now. What I've found is that in order to get in in under the hour I have been leaving earlier and earlier. So it used to be 7am to get there for 8, now its 6.15, if I leave close to 7 its a lot lot busier. So you'd be looking at an 1hr 20 mins to Ballybrit.
    For heading over that side I'd agree with cutting a right at the shop. What it will take I assume would be around the 50 min mark from Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

miminev wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying a house in Mayo but I am working permanently in Galway. Does anyone live near Cross and commute to NUIG side of town such as going over the quincentenial bridge?

I am looking for ideas of good commuter towns that would be the headford to castlebar direction but also open to the other side of Mayo within 1hour commute including traffic.

Thanks

Why not buy closer to Galway and save the commute an hour 20 both ways after a days work is soul destroying.
    I did it from Castlebar to ballybrit lasted 8 months jacked the job in the end was not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Thinking of doing the very same shortly.
    Buying in Castlebar and working in Parkmore in Galway.
    Can't afford Galway city and to be honest the traffic is becoming painful. I can get a good distance from Parkmore in the time it takes to cross to salthill. Can get a much smaller mortgage and a lot more property for much less in Castlebar.

Are there any areas or estates I should avoid in Castlebar.? I may look at moving jobs eventually as I really like Castlebar, Westport areas etc.

Have done the commute in 55 mins most mornings if I'm staying down there so it's not too bad..Anyone else doing this commute, struggled with it..?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

UsBus wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the very same shortly.
    Buying in Castlebar and working in Parkmore in Galway.
    Can't afford Galway city and to be honest the traffic is becoming painful. I can get a good distance from Parkmore in the time it takes to cross to salthill. Can get a much smaller mortgage and a lot more property for much less in Castlebar.

Are there any areas or estates I should avoid in Castlebar.? I may look at moving jobs eventually as I really like Castlebar, Westport areas etc.

Have done the commute in 55 mins most mornings if I'm staying down there so it's not too bad..Anyone else doing this commute, struggled with it..?

Have a search here. Loads of threads on living in Castlebar.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=952&query=%22Living+in+Castlebar%22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Threads like this is why we should be backing the western rail corridor to the hilt, proper rail network into the city with proper public transport out to the suburbs.

voz es wrote: »
    Threads like this is why we should be backing the western rail corridor to the hilt, proper rail network into the city with proper public transport out to the suburbs.

Never going to happen. Everything is pumped into Dublin and its environs. Unless they push the jobs down here then the infra won't be put in place. Galway is gridlocked now with a few road works and schools, colleges and holidays aren't even finished, whats it going to be like in 2 weeks time?

In one way they should have a big park and ride from Headford into Galway, the amount of single person traffic is incredible hitting the curraghline on a daily basis. It would be class to sit on a bus in a bus lane and get passed all the traffic out of town on a daily basis. But again Ill be long gone before that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

yop wrote: »
    Never going to happen. Everything is pumped into Dublin and its environs. Unless they push the jobs down here then the infra won't be put in place. Galway is gridlocked now with a few road works and schools, colleges and holidays aren't even finished, whats it going to be like in 2 weeks time?

In one way they should have a big park and ride from Headford into Galway, the amount of single person traffic is incredible hitting the curraghline on a daily basis. It would be class to sit on a bus in a bus lane and get passed all the traffic out of town on a daily basis. But again Ill be long gone before that happens.

I know it well, I was doing a Castlebar-Salthill commute for a year, disgusting what we have to go through in order to live in our home county and a get work outside of a very limited range.

The mindset of it will never work is wrong though, as a first world country we should have a proper transport system in place. Living in Mayo we are starting work up to two hours before and after we get paid due to having to drive. Least if we had a train we could switch off for a while.
    To ad further insult to injury they are not even developing hospitals on the outskirts of cities, it is beyond me how we are supporting these parties who starve us of competitave regional growth outside of four or five hubs.

Advertisement