Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skoda Tour De Boyne Valley 2018

Options
  • 01-08-2018 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

The Skoda Tour De Boyne Valley takes place this year on Sunday 9th September.
    This event is promoted by Drogheda Wheelers C.C.
    There are two routes to choose from, 145kms and 95kms.
    This is a great event, great routes, great marshals, good planning.
    The food at the end is lovely, a particular highlight for me, last year, was the blueberry muffin, although the curry was also pretty good.
    Entry is €40 for C.I. members and includes a long sleeve jersey.
    There's a fee of a couple of Euro for entry online.

http://tourdeboynevalley.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for this, I've signed up purely based on the positive comments I read here about this sportive.

This would be my first sportive (unless I do Innishowen 100 while up north in next few weeks, but ..Mamore Gap.. shudder..). And I will be doing it on my own.. is that.. strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

positron wrote: »
    Thanks for this, I've signed up purely based on the positive comments I read here about this sportive.

This would be my first sportive (unless I do Innishowen 100 while up north in next few weeks, but ..Mamore Gap.. shudder..). And I will be doing it on my own.. is that.. strange?

Fair play. It's a good one for a first one. Tough as you want to make it. No mad climbs, but a good test, if you push yourself.
    I've been reading about your exploits on another thread, this'll be a doddle for you.
    Mamore Gap... not at all strange. I do my best thinking, while cycling alone.

Really enjoyed it last year was only my second event. Would love to do it again but just don't have the km's in my legs this year and I'm going to be off the bike now for another 2 weeks. Always next year I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Tempted by this

Have done the other 2 Skoda events this year and would be nice to complete the set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Tempted by this

Have done the other 2 Skoda events this year and would be nice to complete the set
    I’m in the same boat, would really like to complete the trilogy but need to take time off for this. Seems odd it’s on a Sunday, I thought most sportives were on a Saturday?

• Advertisement

who_ru wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat, would really like to complete the trilogy but need to take time off for this. Seems odd it’s on a Sunday, I thought most sportives were on a Saturday?

Lap the Lough.
    Tour ofMeath.
    Tour of Kildare.
    WW200.
    Tour of Louth.
    Tour de Foothills.
    Great Dublin Bike Ride.
    3 Peaks Challenge.

All on Sundays.

Even the sign on on the Saturday was quality last year now I think of it.

Actually would they need a spare pair of hands to volunteer seeing as I've no intention of riding this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The Skoda Tour De Boyne Valley takes place this year on Sunday 9th September.
    This event is promoted by Drogheda Wheelers C.C.
    There are two routes to choose from, 145kms and 95kms.
    This is a great event, great routes, great marshals, good planning.
    The food at the end is lovely, a particular highlight for me, last year, was the blueberry muffin, although the curry was also pretty good.
    Entry is €40 for C.I. members and includes a long sleeve jersey.
    There's a fee of a couple of Euro for entry online.

http://tourdeboynevalley.ie/

Yep, did it last year in the breezy squally weather and was impressed by everything. Looking forward to doing it on a fine day. Jersey looks decent.

Even the sign on on the Saturday was quality last year now I think of it.

Actually would they need a spare pair of hands to volunteer seeing as I've no intention of riding this year?

Some contacts from Drogheda Wheelers website.

http://droghedawheelers.ie/wp/?page_id=1182

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

Thinking of doing the 95k. Currently commuting ~130km per week (pretty flat). Haven't been doing any training - will this be too much?

• Advertisement

you would have a good base, if you were to pace yourself you shouldnt have too difficult a time, whats the longest distance you have done in a single spin? if you do a 50-60km between now and then, you'll fly it

if you do the 95km park 3 KM away to get the 100Km if you have never done 100KM before, its a great feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

who_ru wrote: »
    ... Seems odd it’s on a Sunday, I thought most sportives were on a Saturday?
    Audax events are normally on a Saturday but the vast majority of sportives are on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

I took part in the inaugral event in 2016 (when it was known as the Stephen Roche Boyne Valley Classic) - weather wasn't great - nothing the organisers can do about that - but a number of things which were within the organisers control let the event down - large queues at the first foodstop due to a small number of individuals (doing their best) to serve the massive influx of soggy cyclists through a hatch and some questionable road surfaces later in the route (not helped by the copious amoung of standing water hiding some pretty nasty potholes) - some photos of the event were posted on their Facebook page (some from the podium and some along the route) but after the less than positive feedback they seemed to give up shortly afterwards. Which was a shame, because I'd taken part in the two previous sportives in the SKODA Celtic Series (Tour de Conamara & Gran Fondo Hibernia - which subsequently became the Ring of Clare) and they had gone so smoothly, with some great photos too! As a result, I reluctantly gave the TdBV a miss last year - but willing to give it another chance - just curious to hear from anyone who took part last year to see if some/all of those issues had been ironed out?

Very positive comments from last years event here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057755261&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

AxleAddict wrote: »
    I took part in the inaugral event in 2016 (when it was known as the Stephen Roche Boyne Valley Classic) - weather wasn't great - nothing the organisers can do about that - but a number of things which were within the organisers control let the event down - large queues at the first foodstop due to a small number of individuals (doing their best) to serve the massive influx of soggy cyclists through a hatch and some questionable road surfaces later in the route (not helped by the copious amoung of standing water hiding some pretty nasty potholes) - some photos of the event were posted on their Facebook page (some from the podium and some along the route) but after the less than positive feedback they seemed to give up shortly afterwards. Which was a shame, because I'd taken part in the two previous sportives in the SKODA Celtic Series (Tour de Conamara & Gran Fondo Hibernia - which subsequently became the Ring of Clare) and they had gone so smoothly, with some great photos too! As a result, I reluctantly gave the TdBV a miss last year - but willing to give it another chance - just curious to hear from anyone who took part last year to see if some/all of those issues had been ironed out?

Yep organisation last year was top notch. Different team behind it I think.

Very positive comments from last years event here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057755261&page=3
    Cheers - the discussion in that post pretty accurately aligns with my experience in 2016 and it seems they did sort a lot of things out last year, so I think I will have another crack at it after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

Last year Drogheda Wheelers tookover the running of the event and it was great day out and run brillantly.

Signed up for this on a whim last night. THe shorter route as I have to drive up and down on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

Registration for the www.tourdeboynevalley.ie closes today - Sunday, Drogheda with choice of 145km and 95km routes

I haven't cycled in weeks but I am looking forward to doing the 95 km route. Weather forecast looks good, if a tiny bit windy.

https://www.windy.com/?2018-09-09-09,53.684,-6.713,7,i:pressure

FAQ says no earphones. I am just not used to riding in groups, and usually keeps the head busy with podcasts etc. Will I get kicked out if I wear earphone in one ear? :p

• Advertisement

I haven't cycled in weeks but I am looking forward to doing the 95 km route. Weather forecast looks good, if a tiny bit windy.

FAQ says no earphones. I am just not used to riding in groups, and usually keeps the head busy with podcasts etc. Will I get kicked out if I wear earphone in one ear? :p
    Although I've seen many sportives state that things like headphones and tri-bars should not be used, I've never seen it being actively enforced. That said, if you're not used to riding in groups and haven't cycled in weeks then I wouldn't suggest you wear headphones either - you may not hear hazards or slowing/braking being called out from the front, or hear vehicles approaching from behind - you will likely also be cycling with people with a very wide range of abilities - personally speaking, I like to have all my senses working at 100% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

AxleAddict wrote: »
    I did it last year. Weather was bad , but it was extremely well organised. Well marked, good marshalling and well worth doing

There will be a big number of cyclists doing this event.
    You will constantly be overtaking slower cyclists or be overtaken by faster cyclists. Purely from a social point of view, you will enjoy it more without your earphone. I think other cyclists will be more likely to have a chat, if they don't see you wearing earphones.
    Anyway enjoy. Give me a shout, if you see me, I'll be the old fat f***er with a grey goatee on a black Canyon(red bar tape).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

All taking shape..circa 1200 entered now..

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Anyway enjoy. Give me a shout, if you see me, I'll be the old fat f***er with a grey goatee on a black Canyon(red bar tape).

Okay, I will go with the general consensus and ditch the earphones!

I doubt I would see you though, I'd say you would be finished before I roll out of Clogherhead. Foreign guy riding silver Boardman CX bike with fat wheels.

Best of luck on the day!

I signed on this evening for the 145km spin.

Everything seems to be running smoothly at registration.
    There's pasta available, looked lovely.

Bounty bag is one of the best, I've ever got at a sportive.
    Long sleeve jersey is a quality piece of kit, Velotec make.
    And mine is a lovely fit.
    There's also a mini pump in the bag.

Forecast doesn't look too bad, might be a drain of rain, nothing off-putting.
    Looking forward to a good spin.

Heading up in the morning, 6am start. Actually forgot I signed up :D

Only doing the 95km. Haven’t been out on the road in 5 weeks eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Doing this tomorrow, haven't been able to get out that much in the past few months with niggly injuries and family stuff. Am giving the 95km a lash, hopefully I'll make it around.
    Anyone know what the sizing on the jersey is like?
    Hopefully the weather isn't too bad. Looking forward to it.

Doing this tomorrow, haven't been able to get out that much in the past few months with niggly injuries and family stuff. Am giving the 95km a lash, hopefully I'll make it around.
    Anyone know what the sizing on the jersey is like?
    Hopefully the weather isn't too bad. Looking forward to it.

I'm 185cms and about 86kgs. XL is perfect for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Cheers, I ordered 2xl. Am same weight, but shorter 😉. I'll see can I change, if not, no matter, I'll layer up for winter . ðŸ‘
    Thanks,

Advertisement