Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol SUV- advice

• 01-08-2018 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have an 08 1.3 Mazda 2 Sport, 99,000km and am thinking of changing to a bigger car.

Currently looking at petrol SUVs and am wondering if it's the right car for me.
    On average I would do about 15-20kms a day Monday to Friday on country roads. Weekends I wouldn't use it much at all. Have a large dog so need space in the back and would like a big enough boot too.

Budget would be max €12,000 plus my car as a trade in.

I like the look of the Hyundai ix35 1.6 petrol but reviews don't seem great. Would I be better going for the 1.2 Quasqai or something completely different?
    Completely clueless so any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Qashqai and ix35 are not really SUV's. They are classed as Crossovers and you will be amazed at how small the boot is. I had a Qashqai and used to bring my Springer around with me. The Qashqai was great and I loved it but it just got too small for kids.

I would recommend going to local garage and having a look in boot, any of those type of Crossover have the similar sized boot. So you have ix35, Qashqai, Tiguan etc etc

When I bought the Qashqai I did spend the 4 years I had it wishing I had gone with Tiguan, I just found it a nicer drive. More refined. But I do love a VW/Audi

If you could stretch your budget it would be worth looking at Outlander PHEV which is a proper SUV. It also can do 30km on the electric battery. So for the trips you are talking about you wouldn't touch fuel at all. You would need circa another 5k to buy in Ireland. Or could try buying a higher mileage one in Uk....one they go over 60k miles the battery warranty is up so they sell cheap in UK. Most dealer in Ireland are buying the high mileage ones and then adding on huge margin.

Other option it estate petrol, which would have a huge boot. You do lose the height of the Crossover but could be option.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Have a look at the Suzuki Vitara. Nice tidy size, quite spacious for the size of it and the 1.6 petrol drives and handles well. Bought a new one recently and I am delighted with it. Relatively cheap too.

The 1.6 petrol is conventional - not direct injection or turbo charged - which is a big plus, when it comes to maintenance and engine longevity.

Take one for a test drive and you may be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Thank you both so much for your advice!
    The Vitara is actually really nice so will look into that. I'm not in a huge rush to change so might just keep saving and keep on eye out and try to go for something slightly bigger than what I had originally being thinking of.

jellybear wrote: »
    Thank you both so much for your advice!
    The Vitara is actually really nice so will look into that. I'm not in a huge rush to change so might just keep saving and keep on eye out and try to go for something slightly bigger than what I had originally being thinking of.

Ireland is a difficult place to get petrol second hand.....with our 70/30 diesel/petrol buying habits.

UK has always had a 50/50 ratio between petrol/diesel so you are better off trying to source via UK.

It would be worth having a quick look at any Crossover, just to give you idea of boot size. I think you might be a small bit shocked at how small for what dealers will call a SUV:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

Wait until next year for new Suzuki Jimny? Looks the business!
    Getting lots of attention online-1.5 petrol.

https://youtu.be/3XgCws-ruEs

scooby77 wrote: »
    Wait until next year for new Suzuki Jimny? Looks the business!
    Getting lots of attention online-1.5 petrol.

Boot will hardly fit a cat, let alone a big dog!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Boot will hardly fit a cat, let alone a big dog!!

Back seat folds flat...OP doesn't say rear seat passages and dog!
    I agree tiny boot...be great fun though!

scooby77 wrote: »
    Back seat folds flat...OP doesn't say rear seat passages and dog!
    I agree tiny boot...be great fun though!

A dog never ever stays clean, whatever hope you have keeping them in boot with a protector but dropping the seats would be disaster....

Constant stink of wet dog driving around is not nice :P:P:P

My springer was a little b**h and used to jump over the back seats and arrive up and sit beside me in the passanger seat till I got a barrier....:D

My sister loved them Jimnys back in the day!!:D

At the minute it's just the dog in the back seat. I wouldn't put him in the boot...discussion for another day maybe, but I'd never do that :) He's a lurcher so he takes up most of the backseat in my car at the minute.

No kids at the minute however, hopefully in the future so, might be something to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With a big dog I'd be looking at estates to be honest, these crossovers are based on medium sized hatchbacks and the boots are no bigger. The boot in an estate will be deeper which is perfect for a big dog.

Something like a Skoda Octavia estate:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9565c0099e6ac1a2258530935a7806bfd.jpg
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2064222&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D80%26o%5B%5D%3D682%26f%3D1%26b%3D3%26yn%3D2010%26yx%3D2015%26g%3D0

Thanks again for the suggestions. I know estates are probably practical but I don't know if I see myself driving one... I know that's ridiculous as they do make sense but they're just not stylish enough or something. My parents both have estates and they are very practical. Will try to keep an open mind though :)

This is probably tiny in person but I like the look of it...

https://www.windsor.ie/peugeot/used-cars/8876730-peugeot-2008-active-1.2-5-dr...with-only-17-000-klms....contact-andrew-moran-on-087-2439805/

If I'm honest this is probably my favourite and it's what got me thinking about changing..

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/ix35-From-159-p-m---1.6-Petrol-S-Model.-Rare-Find.-Manu/8663084496273772308

Advertisement