Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, quickly - rescue my dinner

Options
  • 01-08-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

I have beef ribs in the oven since 9am at 120 degrees and they are still tough. I've cooked them lots of times before and they usually fall off the bone after 3 hours . They had a dry spice rub (smoked paprika etc) and are in a passata based sauce. I've just sliced them into individual ribs and upped the temperature to see if that helps. Any ideas, any magic ingredient ?? - dinner is usually about 6.30 !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jos28 wrote: »
    I have beef ribs in the oven since 9am at 120 degrees and they are still tough. I've cooked them lots of times before and they usually fall off the bone after 3 hours . They had a dry spice rub (smoked paprika etc) and are in a passata based sauce. I've just sliced them into individual ribs and upped the temperature to see if that helps. Any ideas, any magic ingredient ?? - dinner is usually about 6.30 !!!

Overdone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

No, they were still pinkish when I posted. Cutting them up and increasing the temp worked. I reckon the 120 degrees was way too low. I thought it would work like a slow cooker (must buy one) but it didn't. All's well that ends well . Yummy dinner after all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

jos28 wrote: »
    No, they were still pinkish when I posted. Cutting them up and increasing the temp worked. I reckon the 120 degrees was way too low. I thought it would work like a slow cooker (must buy one) but it didn't. All's well that ends well . Yummy dinner after all
    A slow cooker is one of the best investments you can make, I use mine a lot, no need of heating a big oven for just so little, and it is just set and forget, meat of all kinds come out lovely and tender

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Cheers Goat2, it's the next thing on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be surprised if the slow cooker uses any less power than the oven and its another gadget to have lying around the 90% of the time you aren't using it. Once you've got a good door seal and a working thermostat the oven isn't actually going to be running the elements all that much.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

The slow cooker outcomes vs long and low in an oven are quite nasty looking in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Feck the slow cooker. Presser cooker. Done in an hour

Advertisement