Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Publicly unacceptable opinions

• 01-08-2018 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I posted on the recent referendum and probably deserved a lot of the flak I got for my posts. I was trying to work things out in my head so I don't mind any of that tbh. It did make me think however about unacceptable opinions to voice in public. I've seen other posters get labeled (perhaps correctly) as racist/bigoted etc for discussing some issues online, but to me the problem is that they cant be discussed in real life, as in bad ideas/logic should be challenged openly.

Below are some of my unpalatable opinions:

1) I'm afraid of the effects of Islam on the West (less about terrorism than segregated societies/Sharia law/child grooming gangs etc) and our governments willingness to accept more refugees from Muslim countries. To clarify, I dont believe this will be a problem for Ireland in the next ten years. I have Muslim family members who have assimilated (obviously) to Irish culture, but I feel the discussion in Ireland about the specific difficulties in assimilating Islam are not really broached. I realize it is probably not logical to worry at this point, as we haven't had a terrorist attack in Ireland or any scandal with Muslims here.

2) It really annoys me that the problems between the settled community and the traveller community are never adequately addressed. There are a lot of liberal minded people who would rather defend supposedly oppressed minorities than treat them as fallible humans. I remember a Slavoj Zizek interview where he asked a liberal "Should they live beside you?" The answer obviously wasn't yes. I don't mind segregation up to a point, but what does it say about the settled community's values that the illiteracy rate among travelers is so high? Is it not the duty of the state to try to give every child the same chance at life, regardless?

3) As I get older, I find that I respect women less than men. In general I find men to be more stoic about their situations. I find more women than men to have unrealistic expectations, particularly about relationships. What I would call the feminization of society (therapy culture, obsession with the abolition of traditional gender roles etc) has created a generation of men who are undoubtedly good fathers, though I worry what kind of men these men will raise. A woman in her late 50s recently said to me that she was alone and that no one called in to her. I asked her why she didn't just leave the house. She said "And go where?" If a man said that to me, I would probably laugh in his face.

4) I prefer gay men to lesbians (settle down). I have a lesbian family member who has been overly aggressive towards me in the past, in a way that I don't think she would have been with my female relatives. I do understand that as a lesbian, men must seem like a mixture of nuisances, competitors and outright pests, so it doesn't bother me that much, but it's a pain to be treated differently for what you are rather than who you are (upon re-reading, I realize this may sound ironic). I find most gay men I've met to be funny and easy to talk to, even if less than I thought (hoped) were attracted to me.

And yes, I am Hitler.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Undividual wrote:
    And yes, I am Hitler.

How's Mrs Hitler?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Campogna

Unacceptable opinion: pee is not stored in the balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

How do you cross the double-think gap between your opinions 3 and 4?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

"Stoic" I learned a new word :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Dont worry
    Your'e not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

This just screams "someone please validate my sh!tty opinions".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Mackmatic wrote: »
    This just screams "someone please validate my sh!tty opinions".

It's a shame you can only thank a post once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Anything that's not open border immigration related you must agree every refugee that arrives here is completely genuine or else you're a racist bigot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A child’s got more bones than a grown-up’s got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You think you're so great OP. Well I have privately unacceptable opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Undividual wrote: »

And yes, I am Hitler.

Heil there. It was all Russia in the second half, you have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Be more stoic and stop crying. You're a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

The Irish navy has no business in the Mediterranean assisting the uncontrolled illegal immigration of African and Middle Eastern nationals.

Nor should we feel obligated to accept any on our shores either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Funny the opinions like the ops are all I see in Boards of late - must be be acceptable on boards. Eventually people get tired of listening to it and move on somewhere else.

The Irish navy has no business in the Mediterranean assisting the uncontrolled illegal immigration of African and Middle Eastern nationals.

Are genuine Syrian refugees acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Undividual wrote: »
    I posted on the recent referendum and probably deserved a lot of the flak I got for my posts. I was trying to work things out in my head so I don't mind any of that tbh. It did make me think however about unacceptable opinions to voice in public. I've seen other posters get labeled (perhaps correctly) as racist/bigoted etc for discussing some issues online, but to me the problem is that they cant be discussed in real life, as in bad ideas/logic should be challenged openly.

Below are some of my unpalatable opinions:

1) I'm afraid of the effects of Islam on the West (less about terrorism than segregated societies/Sharia law/child grooming gangs etc) and our governments willingness to accept more refugees from Muslim countries. To clarify, I dont believe this will be a problem for Ireland in the next ten years. I have Muslim family members who have assimilated (obviously) to Irish culture, but I feel the discussion in Ireland about the specific difficulties in assimilating Islam are not really broached. I realize it is probably not logical to worry at this point, as we haven't had a terrorist attack in Ireland or any scandal with Muslims here.

2) It really annoys me that the problems between the settled community and the traveller community are never adequately addressed. There are a lot of liberal minded people who would rather defend supposedly oppressed minorities than treat them as fallible humans. I remember a Slavoj Zizek interview where he asked a liberal "Should they live beside you?" The answer obviously wasn't yes. I don't mind segregation up to a point, but what does it say about the settled community's values that the illiteracy rate among travelers is so high? Is it not the duty of the state to try to give every child the same chance at life, regardless?

3) As I get older, I find that I respect women less than men. In general I find men to be more stoic about their situations. I find more women than men to have unrealistic expectations, particularly about relationships. What I would call the feminization of society (therapy culture, obsession with the abolition of traditional gender roles etc) has created a generation of men who are undoubtedly good fathers, though I worry what kind of men these men will raise. A woman in her late 50s recently said to me that she was alone and that no one called in to her. I asked her why she didn't just leave the house. She said "And go where?" If a man said that to me, I would probably laugh in his face.

4) I prefer gay men to lesbians (settle down). I have a lesbian family member who has been overly aggressive towards me in the past, in a way that I don't think she would have been with my female relatives. I do understand that as a lesbian, men must seem like a mixture of nuisances, competitors and outright pests, so it doesn't bother me that much, but it's a pain to be treated differently for what you are rather than who you are (upon re-reading, I realize this may sound ironic). I find most gay men I've met to be funny and easy to talk to, even if less than I thought (hoped) were attracted to me.

And yes, I am Hitler.

I agree with everything you say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Try_harder wrote: »

Would go a long way to finding one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Yes, but only after an extensive background check and subject to conditions regarding integration

What conditions?

Taytoland wrote: »
    Would go a long way to finding one.

Really warm torn Syria doesnt have genuine refugees.

Family moved in a few doors down from me a few years ago- they are grand

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

On boards.ie, I've found that thinking that women deserve equal rights is an unacceptable position. Disliking racists is an unacceptable position. Stating that Dublin have been given far more money than everybody else in Gaelic Games is an unacceptable position. Overall though it's just a bit of craic. A silly internet forum that we can talk **** in. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I think the problem with this Boards.ie (especially in the politics forum) is there is a lot of leftie liberal mods here who dislike posters expressing middle ground views on Islam, immigration and feel they have to over compensate in the other direction by dishing out cards and bans. The OP's views are fine but he wouldn't last 10 minutes in the politics forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That women deserve equal pay.
    Err you do if you come to work on time and do a full days work.
    How is it acceptable that women can be late for work on a continuous basis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I think the problem with this Boards.ie (especially in the politics forum) is there is a lot of leftie liberal mods here who dislike posters expressing middle ground views on Islam, immigration and feel they have to over compensate in the other direction by dishing out cards and bans. The OP's views are fine but he wouldn't last 10 minutes in the politics forum.

or

centrist mods who don't like right wing hate mongering

all depends on perspective

I'd love to see a few examples of these middle ground opinions that were unjustly carded...

Blazer wrote: »
    That women deserve equal pay.
    Err you do if you come to work on time and do a full days work.
    How is it acceptable that women can be late for work on a continuous basis ?

???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

OP doesn't like Muslims, travellers and women. You can find online spaces where these awful views are "accepted" and, you might even find a group of friends who share them. Perhaps you could voice support for a certain US president... Online forums are hardly the same as "discussion in real life" fwiw.

Anyway, I dislike dogs and this is a near-universally unacceptable opinion. There are far too many dogs in urban areas. The barking and public defecation attracts my ire the most. Not interested in the usual "good vs bad dog owners" debate. I don't like dogs and those who harp on about them being so intelligent and great companions sound like idiots oddballs. Want a dog? Go live with it on a big farm somewhere or in the wilderness thousands of years ago away from people who want to walk on public paths and through parks in peace.

oneilla wrote: »
    OP doesn't like Muslims, travellers and women. You can find online spaces where these awful views are "accepted" and, you might even find a group of friends who share them. Perhaps you could voice support for a certain US president... Online forums are hardly the same as "discussion in real life" fwiw.

Anyway, I dislike dogs and this is a near-universally unacceptable opinion. There are far too many dogs in urban areas. The barking and public defecation attracts my ire the most. Not interested in the usual "good vs bad dog owners" debate. I don't like dogs and those who harp on about them being so intelligent and great companions sound like idiots. Want a dog? Go live with it on a big farm somewhere or in the wilderness thousands of years ago away from people who want to walk on public paths and through parks in peace.

I'm almost with you but I have no distaste for the dogs themselves but the keeping of them in urban spaces

Cats are better than dogs

lawred2 wrote: »
    or

centrist mods who don't like right wing hate mongering

all depends on perspective

I'd love to see a few examples of these middle ground opinions that were unjustly carded...

One example in the Politics Cafe. When minister Joe McHugh made a speech announcing Ireland welcomed all Syrian refugees, views were expressed that this was not necessarily the case. Mods demanded that posters provide links under threat of cards backing up the counter argument.

• Advertisement

Ireland repped by the government welcomes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pretty acceptable opinions for an AH poster, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

oneilla wrote: »

Anyway, I dislike dogs and this is a near-universally unacceptable opinion. There are far too many dogs in urban areas. The barking and public defecation attracts my ire the most. Not interested in the usual "good vs bad dog owners" debate. I don't like dogs and those who harp on about them being so intelligent and great companions sound like idiots. Want a dog? Go live with it on a big farm somewhere or in the wilderness thousands of years ago away from people who want to walk on public paths and through parks in peace.

That's ruff...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think the problem is that a number of very right wing people are under the delusion they are centrists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I think the problem is that a number of very right wing people are under the delusion they are centrists.

Or maybe people are so far left they see centrists as right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Donald Trump has done a very good job as president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

My apparently unacceptable beliefs:

Transgender (ism) doesn’t exist and those people need help with their mental health.

My apparently unacceptable beliefs:

Transgender (ism) doesn’t exist and those people need help with their mental health.

What evidence have you for you opinion, or is this a gut feeling?

Ireland repped by the government welcomes them.

What the last 5 years has taught me is it's a grave folly of politicians to make the assumption that they speak or act for an entire nation.

Or maybe people are so far left they see centrists as right wing.

People should take the https://www.politicalcompass.org test

I'm near Ghandi!

What the last 5 years has thaught me is it's a grave folly of politicians to make the assumption they speak or act for an entire nation.

I was taught the the elected government represent the people ;)

• Advertisement

I was taught the the elected government represent the people ;)

You think Fine Gael represents the opinions of the whole of the Republic of Ireland? Good luck to you on that.
    A lot of European politicians used to think that.

What the last 5 years has taught me is it's a grave folly of politicians to make the assumption that they speak or act for an entire nation.

Hang on, I thought that was what we elected and paid them for???

My really unacceptable opinion is that everybody should be given the benefit of doubt.

AH will not stand for that, in my experience.

I'm near Ghandi!

same as - left libertarian

Shenshen wrote: »
    Hang on, I thought that was what we elected and paid them for???

If that were the case there would be no need for a Boards politics forum. The RTE Prime Time team would have nothing to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

I'm near Ghandi!

Ghandi was a confirmed pedo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

When it comes to not accepting immigrants, particularly from war torn countries like Syria, I don't like when people use the excuse "look at all the homeless people / people struggling etc. that we need to look after here first". I take the view that if these people, having grown up in a country that presents as many opportunities and safety nets as Ireland does, still manage to make a balls it - then why not let people in who are fleeing war and death in to have a chance. We're lucky enough to be born in a safe country, key word is lucky, so who are we then to tell the unlucky people to **** off.

I'm near Ghandi!

Centrist Libertarian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I have concerns and questions i'd like to discuss regards transgender-ism, but unfortunately it is a topic that attracts alot of hate if the mainstream left narrative is questioned. The right just tend to be too insecure to discuss it either for the opposite reason.

I dont really care that people do it or not. Its not my body or experiences. Maybe its no different than my desire to add bulk to my slim body.

I do have grave concerns about the encouragement of 'identity' in various ways. Suppose a person is born in a body A, and they feel odd in it...and want body B. We currently teach them that they should of been born in body B, and that B is truly who they are....
    Well that makes no sense in my understanding. You are C. C is a body of A with urges for B. That C is going to change alot, and isnt really the same C. It's just the arising condition of C temporarily.

People with body A don't know what its like to be in body B so its incorrect to even suggest its a correct one for them. I find it tends to be far more how they are treated, and that points to a societal issue that we should not be treating people in body A in a way that they dont want to be treated.

I think its a very mentally unhealthy thing to teach people that the way they are born is not ok if they have a desire/urge/compulsion to be different.
    I think its fine to help them change if they want, but it's a very very odd thing we are doing teaching identity different than what we currently are is a positive thing.
    I practice Buddhism, and after a decade, the concept of trying to keep and form a static identity is a very suffering based idea. Not one i'd encourage for people to follow, for their own sake.

If that were the case there would be no need for a Boards politics forum. The RTE Prime Time team would have nothing to debate.

As I see it, that's where we discuss if we've done a good enough job electing the right people. And how we could do a better job in the next election.

• Advertisement
Advertisement