Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Publicly unacceptable opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

oneilla wrote: »

Anyway, I dislike dogs and this is a near-universally unacceptable opinion. There are far too many dogs in urban areas. The barking and public defecation attracts my ire the most. Not interested in the usual "good vs bad dog owners" debate. I don't like dogs and those who harp on about them being so intelligent and great companions sound like idiots. Want a dog? Go live with it on a big farm somewhere or in the wilderness thousands of years ago away from people who want to walk on public paths and through parks in peace.

People who like dogs are idiots?

I don't like or trust people who don't like dogs. They are oddballs.

Dogs offer unconditional love and friendship that most people can't.

They don't give a crap if you earn a million a year or are homeless.

To a dog, an owner is the centre of their world.

I feel sorry for those who haven't felt the warmth of a dogs love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

This a recent opinion that I have developed and it's not floating too well, when I've mentioned it to my immediate circle. This is officially it's very first online appearance. Prepare yourselves. :eek: I'm basing it on on how human culture derides certain behaviors and then eventually accepts them. No offense is intended to anyone.

As humanity embraces and accepts so many sexual preferences from casual sex, Gay people etc. I believe the day will come when aspects of Pedophilia will be accepted and become legal. Horrifying, I know, but if we cast ourselves back through the ages, there was a time and not long ago when being Gay was a criminal offense, having a child out of wedlock sent you to a religious establishment where you could be a victim of crazy abuse and if you were promiscuous then society treated you like a leper. I really believe that the awful day will come when this wretched act will have some acceptance in Western society. Now I could be wrong and I hope I don't live long enough to find out.

I'm not trolling, but presenting it as an example of what I class as a publicly unacceptable opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There are only two genders. Gender is binary. Bruce Jenner should have got any 'bravery' awards. Etc.
    Unpopular view.

If I want to chop off my leg, I'm considered mentally insane and help will be on the way. However if I want to chop off my knob, I'm transgender.

Now look, I don't want to upset anyone, so fully open to someone laying it on me and educating me. I think it is horrible how some people have been treated and I don't condone it. I like to see people happy and people helped where they need it, if they need it. I just fear that it's the wrong response here and I back the science. XX. XY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Grandeeod wrote: »
    This a recent opinion that I have developed and it's not floating too well, when I've mentioned it to my immediate circle. This is officially it's very first online appearance. Prepare yourselves. :eek: I'm basing it on on how human culture derides certain behaviors and then eventually accepts them. No offense is intended to anyone.

As humanity embraces and accepts so many sexual preferences from casual sex, Gay people etc. I believe the day will come when aspects of Pedophilia will be accepted and become legal. Horrifying, I know, but if we cast ourselves back through the ages, there was a time and not long ago when being Gay was a criminal offense, having a child out of wedlock sent you to a religious establishment where you could be a victim of crazy abuse and if you were promiscuous then society treated you like a leper. I really believe that the awful day will come when this wretched act will have some acceptance in Western society. Now I could be wrong and I hope I don't live long enough to find out.

I'm not trolling, but presenting it as an example of what I class as a publicly unacceptable opinion.

I can see why people would consider it an out-there opinion, but I actually can see where you're coming from, and I don't think it's all that wrong.
    However, I would expect (and hope!!!) that it would be the victimless aspects that will become acceptable and legal. Things like short stories, and possibly animated films and the like. I don't believe that we as a society would take a huge step back in our cultural development and re-allow something that is so obviously painful, harmful and detrimental to one side. Not after we've spent so many years now creating more protective environments for the weaker members of society.

I know that there's an rather new sector of industry making sex robots, that might come into it, too.

myshirt wrote: »
    There are only two genders. Gender is binary. Bruce Jenner should have got any 'bravery' awards. Etc.
    Unpopular view.

If I want to chop off my leg, I'm considered mentally insane and help will be on the way. However if I want to chop off my knob, I'm transgender.

Now look, I don't want to upset anyone, so fully open to someone laying it on me and educating me. I think it is horrible how some people have been treated and I don't condone it. I like to see people happy and people helped where they need it, if they need it. I just fear that it's the wrong response here and I back the science. XX. XY.

That's the thing about mother nature - she's a bit of a messy one!
    XX and XY doesn't always result in clearly defined male or female genitals. And she does throw out many more varieties than just XX and XY, too ;)

Good god.... no way in hell will pedophilia ever become normalised. No system of ideaology will ever, ever justify sexualising young children like that and the abuse we have seen.

I'm kind of disturbed by the idea that the production of pedophilia material is victimless also. Jesus lads, I can't be on my own here? This society is going to cannibalise itself at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Shenshen wrote: »
    As I see it, that's where we discuss if we've done a good enough job electing the right people. And how we could do a better job in the next election.

I agree, but when the middle ground is being eroded and silenced on the ground these days, there is only one inevitable outcome. Extreme voices are only too willing and able to fill that gap. Ireland has not reached that abyss yet but it would be advisable for our politicians to listen carefully to people on the ground to get a grasp and inkling of their concerns. Because extremist candidates on both the right and left have their "sympathetic" ears pointing in that same direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Good god.... no way in hell will pedophilia ever become normalised. No system of ideaology will ever, ever justify sexualising young children like that and the abuse we have seen.

I'm kind of disturbed by the idea that the production of pedophilia material is victimless also. Jesus lads, I can't be on my own here? This society is going to cannibalise itself at this rate.
    But there are several ideologies that already do condone it. Arranged marriages with children is plenty in the world

Publicly unacceptable opinion.

Feminism is a complete load of bollox. All these women are wrong, completely and utterly wrong, and it all got out of hand because no man wanted to tell them they were wrong because that man was likely trying to f#ck that woman / just wanted an easy life / or simply just wanted to watch the match in peace.

• Advertisement

manonboard wrote: »
    But there are several ideologies that already do condone it. Arranged marriages with children is plenty in the world

Don't tell the Bride Pakistan version was a joke, not a real thing. I think these societies you are referring to are maturing, and when societies mature and develop they don't bring with them these type of abuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No system of ideaology will ever, ever justify sexualising young children like that

Been through the girls section of Penneys lately? O_o

Scrap the cap!

I agree, but when the middle ground is being eroded and silenced on the ground these days, there is only one inevitable outcome. Extreme voices are only too willing and able to fill that gap. Ireland has not reached that abyss yet but it would be advisable for our politicians to listen carefully to people on the ground to get a grasp and inkling of their concerns. Because extremist candidates on both the right and left have their "sympathetic" ears pointing in that same direction.

It's still the majority that elects politicians.
    If they only listen to the minorities, we shouldn't elect them.
    If we do anyway, it's a bit rich of us to complain about them not representing us, don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Try_harder wrote: »
    Are genuine Syrian refugees acceptable?

Syria is a huge country, and even at the height of the war the fighting was contained to certain areas, so I would say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Here's an opinion I have that's proven unpopular with friends any time I've brought it up

I have no problem with ticket touts, or people paying high amounts to touts for tickets, it just means that they were underpriced when originally sold and the market can then dictate the price

Can't say I like Seatwave though with tickets appearing within seconds of being "released" on Ticketmaster, that's a genuine scam

But someone willing to pay €200 on Jones' Road to get into Croker on All Ireland Final day? Have at it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That's the thing about mother nature - she's a bit of a messy one!
    XX and XY doesn't always result in clearly defined male or female genitals. And she does throw out many more varieties than just XX and XY, too ;)
    Sure genetic anomalies occur but we're talking about the 99% of people.

• Advertisement

Been through the girls section of Penneys lately? O_o

No I haven't. Should I?

What a strange question.

Syria is a huge country, and even at the height of the war the fighting was contained to certain areas, so I would say no.

So, just to get my head around this, do you think that there are currently several millions of Syrians living in tent camps in Turkey and Lebanon because... they prefer the views from there?

That would be an unpopular opinion. Particularly in those camps, I would imagine.

I think Bon Iver is crap..

Sure genetic anomalies occur but we're talking about the 99% of people.

I think 99% of the people don't have mis-aligned genders.
    Last time I checked, the vast majority of people happily accept their (clearly defined) biological sex as their gender.
    Though if you don't meet real people a lot and rely on AH, you'd think that transgender people make up more than 60% of the population at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

wow, thats something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Don't tell the Bride Pakistan version was a joke, not a real thing. I think these societies you are referring to are maturing, and when societies mature and develop they don't bring with them these type of abuses.

To play Devils Advocate, surely it follows that if being gay is natural and just means that you fancy people of the same sex as you, it’s not that much of a leap to say that paedophilic thoughts are also natural (as in their brains are wired that way). Now, and let me be EXTREMELY clear on this, I don’t mean that paedos will get a free pass to harm any children, I mean that it may well be seen as they have no control over being attracted to children, much like gays have no control over fancying members of the same sex. I’m not sure what the SJWs will want done, but they’ll want it recognised id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

The vast majority of people involved in the Catholic Church are good, ordinary people and it is not an inherently bad organization.

Stuff from the past such as the Laundries etc were there because our parents/grandparents thought they were the correct way to do things. The Church weren't armed - the Church had influence in these things because people gave it to them.

The Church was/is more of a positive influence than a negative one.

These societies may mature, change and develop. But its not those societies you need to worry about, despite them currently advocating versions of what we consider Pedophilia.
    No I haven't. Should I?

What a strange question.

It's not a strange question at all. If you are a parent a walk through Pennys will reveal a lot of young girls clothing that is sexually provocative. Why is that? I'm not certain.

So, just to get my head around this, do you think that there are currently several millions of Syrians living in tent camps in Turkey and Lebanon because... they prefer the views from there?

That would be an unpopular opinion. Particularly in those camps, I would imagine.

Turkey, the gateway to Europe?

There was a lot of fighting in cities close to Lebanon (Homs and Damascus), that may have been the safest route for some to go, others saw the chance to tap into Europe’s soft touch benefits system.

To play Devils Advocate, surely it follows that if being gay is natural and just means that you fancy people of the same sex as you, it’s not that much of a leap to say that paedophilic thoughts are also natural (as in their brains are wired that way). Now, and let me be EXTREMELY clear on this, I don’t mean that paedos will get a free pass to harm any children, I mean that it may well be seen as they have no control over being attracted to children, much like gays have no control over fancying members of the same sex. I’m not sure what the SJWs will want done, but they’ll want it recognised id say.

Thanks for playing Devils Advocate. Your post goes some way to explaining what I was trying to say. But hope I don't see the day, yet I can see it happening at some point.

Turkey, the gateway to Europe?

There was a lot of fighting in cities close to Lebanon (Homs and Damascus), that may have been the safest route for some to go, others saw the chance to tap into Europe’s soft touch benefits system.

Their country was torn apart by War ffs! The reality is you dont want any refugees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Though if you don't meet real people a lot and rely on AH, you'd think that transgender people make up more than 60% of the population at this point.

I'd replace AH with the media, our political class and universities in that statement.

Why do people always conflate homosexuality with paedophilia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

What evidence have you for you opinion, or is this a gut feeling?

Well like, I’m not ignorant to the fact but the only evidence I have is that it is fact that there is only man and woman. No in between, no change of mind, or heart. I’m pretty open minded in other aspects but just refuse to believe it all. There is and will only ever be man and woman, and animal, fish, etc

• Advertisement

Well like, I’m not ignorant to the fact but the only evidence I have is that it is fact that there is only man and woman. No in between, no change of mind, or heart. I’m pretty open minded in other aspects but just refuse to believe it all. There is and will only ever be man and woman, and animal, fish, etc

man and woman and animals and fish? Are they genders you recognise?

Cos humans are animals fish are fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Don't see anything wrong with any of that tbh

Homosexuality has nothing to do with paedophilia, and vice versa. I used it as an example.

Do you believe people choose to be gay?
    Do you think people choose to be straight?
    Do you think people choose to be paedophiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

The Irish navy has no business in the Mediterranean assisting the uncontrolled illegal immigration of African and Middle Eastern nationals.

Nor should we feel obligated to accept any on our shores either.

Alarming.

For your first point, it's acceptable I suppose if you want Ireland to leave the EU, and lose all the benefits that brings. Would that be ok with you?

Secondly, can you clarify why Ireland should not need to shelter fugees? Do you think the Irish should have been turned away from America?

The Irish navy has no business in the Mediterranean assisting the uncontrolled illegal immigration of African and Middle Eastern nationals.

Nor should we feel obligated to accept any on our shores either.

Alarming.

For your first point, it's acceptable I suppose if you want Ireland to leave the EU, and lose all the benefits that brings. Would that be ok with you?

Secondly, can you clarify why Ireland should not need to shelter fugees? Do you think the Irish should have been turned away from America?

Homosexuality has nothing to do with paedophilia, and vice versa. I used it as an example.

Do you believe people choose to be gay?
    Do you think people choose to be straight?
    Do you think people choose to be paedophiles?

Why compare the two?

keffiyeh wrote: »
    Alarming.

Some were, what purpose do you think Ellis Island has?? America at that time was a developing country that needed cheap labour. Ireland now, is not and does not.

Why compare the two?

When did I compare them, I used an example of not choosing who you have sexual feelings towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Funny the opinions like the ops are all I see in Boards of late - must be be acceptable on boards. Eventually people get tired of listening to it and move on somewhere else.

Yeah, boards is full of these sentiments now. All while they claim they're not allowed to express them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, boards is full of these sentiments now. All while they claim they're not allowed to express them.

Its playing the victim card! People think Im racist/sexist etc

Unpopular view.

There's a difference between gender and biological sex.

Anyway, XX and XY doesn't always hold true. There are biological males with XX chromosones and vice versa. Not to mention intersex people.

Its playing the victim card! People think Im racist/sexist etc

This is the standard right wing practice now. Faux rebellion. I'm not allowed to say this, says the Daily Mail columnist. I'm not allowed to say this, says Jordan Peterson to an audience of thousands. I'm not allowed to say this, says Paul Joseph Watson on his highly popular youtube videos. I'm not allowed say this, says Trump from the Oval Office.

That's been explained to you and its not conflating.
    Why were you there? fact-finding???

A disgusting remark. I pointed out earlier why some of us would find ourselves in that store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I think jordan Peterson is a boring wind bag.

That seems like my only real unpopular opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Alarming.

I said illegal immigrants. I find it alarming that the likes of Angela Merkel and liberals advocate open borders.

How many do you accept? Give me a number? There's millions in Africa that will gladly make their way to Europe if given the opportunity.

We shouldn't give shelter to fugees because they are an internationally accepted music act with millions in the bank.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Thats been explained to you and its not conflating.

A disgusting remark. I pointed out earlier why some of us would find ourselves in that store.

Its not nice been associated with paedophilia is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

We are in the throes of a housing crisis. We do not have enough homes to house the people already in the country. Yet we welcome more and more foreign nationals to come to this country to join social housing lists and obtain social welfare.

I have no issue with people coming to this country and contributing, but we are an utter joke at this point.

Stop trying to make pals in the EU you morons, we do not have the resources to take these thousands of unskilled foreign nationals into the country and give them a home.

We should and I expect will have to take a leaf out of Italys book sooner rather than later.

Mokuba wrote: »
    We are in the throes of a housing crisis. We do not have enough homes to house the people already in the country. Yet we welcome more and more foreign nationals to come to this country to join social housing lists and obtain social welfare.

I have no issue with people coming to this country and contributing, but we are an utter joke at this point.

Stop trying to make pals in the EU you morons, we do not have the resources to take these thousands of unskilled foreign nationals into the country and give them a home.

We should and I expect will have to take a leaf out of Italys book sooner rather than later.

We also have a veto so the EU cannot force us, or ask us to leave if we refuse them.

Alarming.

Some were, what purpose do you think Ellis Island has?? America at that time was a developing country that needed cheap labour. Ireland now, is not and does not.

What has that got to do with anything? The question is, do you think the Irish didn't deserve the chance to fight for theirs and their families lives by fleeing to the US? What the US needed is irrelevant, it's about what the Irish that were in serious trouble needed.

And you ignored my first question. Conveniently.

I said illegal immigrants. I find it alarming that the likes of Angela Merkel and liberals advocate open borders.

How many do you accept? Give me a number? There's millions in Africa that will gladly make their way to Europe if given the opportunity.

What gave the Irish more of a right? 'Legality'? One group was fleeing famine, the other famine and war. Both should be taken in. To your second question, every EU country should take in a number established by the size of the country, how the economy/jobs market is doing, etc. It's what makes us Europe. It's what makes us better than the yanks across the sea. We preserve, we create, they destroy. If you want to use foolish, reductive and dismissive terminology like 'the libs' maybe emigrate yourself and go join them in the US.

• Advertisement
Advertisement